Where have all the great guests come from.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Where have all the great guests come from.

This year I seem to have come across a river of great guests! Every one of them have been a pleasure to host, but it's an added bonus when they tell you how much your efforts were appreciated

For my listing gimmick, my enticer I provide a bowl of fruit and a cheese plate for each guest. I put the cheeses in the fridge on a small board, the nuts and crackers in jars on the countertop and the bowl of fruit amongst the books in the bookcase and let guests select what they want from each.

I don't actually get to see the end result of that, but the last guest was kind enough to send me a photo of what they did with these condiments.

Screenshot_2021-04-13-14-46-23-68.png

Screenshot_2021-04-13-14-47-23-46.png

It makes me realise that the effort that does go it something like this is worth it and the guests do reward you!

I would advise all hosts to adopt a gimmick, it does pay off!

Cheers........Rob

12 Replies 12
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I wouldn’t call it a gimmick @Robin4. It’s your signature!

Stephen1156
Level 10
Brogo, Australia

Nice one, @Robin4.

We give our guests a selection of mueslis and fresh fruit, locally made bacon and local free-range eggs, unhomogenised milk from the Tilba dairy, and butter from Pepe Saya (https://pepesaya.com.au/). It's very popular. We also offer them a range of pillows from feather to hard.

Like you, it seems to help attract the guests we want.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stephen1156 

@Cathie19 says it's my signature and, maybe my cheese plate is but, something like this doesn't have to cost much in time or effort.

I have an arrangement (purely professional) with the manageresses of two of our major supermarkets and, of the 1,000s of cheeses they stock, some will get within a week of the use-by/best before date, or get a bit picked around in appearance in the display cabinets, and at that point they are not of value to the supermarket any more. In return for my store promotion, I get them for 30c per cheese, almost unlimited supply of them. I can turn on a $30 cheese plate for each guest and it costs me less than $1......The guest doesn't know how they got on that plate, it's just a nice unexpected touch and they do love it.

Stephen I go out of my way to cultivate deals which will  benefit the guest and in doing so ultimately benefit me!

Good on you Stephen sounds like you are doing a great job.

Cheers........Rob

Welcome0
Level 10
Hicksville, NY

it's very difficult to decide what to leave for newly arriving guests. You shouldn't go overboard either. After all, you are operating a business. Famous last words

Usually, I attempt to find out if any of the guests have  allergies. 

If there are children, it makes it much easier. I leave a basket with  organic, non GMO

cookies or chips. 

To insure everyone gets something, leave bottled water or a pitcher of lemon water in the fridge. 

Possibly a bowl of fresh fruit is attractive. A few apples, mandarins or bananas. 

In the summer, I'll leave gazpacho soup in the fridge for late arrivals together with croissants.  Nothing is written in stone! I always go by my gut before greeting my guests. And, I always over do it!

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

I love how personalized this gesture is @Robin4. We provide a basket of locally made goods with a small note. You have inspired me to up my game! I need to find something beautiful like this. Thank you for sharing.

Jorge

@Angelica-Y-Jorge0 

Angelica, it's a small thing but I have found that guests appreciate hosts that attend to details, something they are not expecting. It might be a block of Lindt's chocolate, it might be a beer in the fridge, just something to show you go that extra yard!

I have a photo of my mother in the listing cottage that was taken in February 1937.

CAM02316 (480x640) (2).jpg

She thought she was unattractive and destroyed every adult photo of herself that she could find. This is one of only two that remained intact. It's a rather strange thing to put into a rental property but, it's like you are inviting guests into a private part of your life, and they do love you for it. They all ask who that woman is!

I recently posted a photo of what my mother did to all her photos here on the CC

IMG20170410224016 a.jpg

And wonderful Community Centre host @J-Renato0 from Brazil had his wife weave her magic and restore this photo to its former glory.....

15x21A .jpg

I cried when I saw it,  printed it, framed it and gave it to my sister as a Christmas present.

IMG20201224182044.jpg

Our mum is whole again!

I believe guests come to us because we can offer something that the traditional hospitality sector cannot, we make them feel like family.....and with all that is going on in the world right now, that's a pretty good thing to offer!

Cheers.......Rob

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Robin4 
Thanks for mentioning me and Ana in a so kind a way!
Again, It was a pleasure to  know that you and members of your family like the restored picture!

Cheers
Jose Renato

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@J-Renato0 

I can't tell you how much joy Ana's magic put into our lives Jóse Renato!

I know it sounds kind of stupid but, once family members have departed, their allotted lifespan has come to an end, we who remain like to cling onto the nice things we remember about them. Those visual images from the past become like gold to us, something to be treasured.

Tina (my sister) and I would love to thank Ana for what she did, and you for inspiring her to do it.

Thanks mate!

Cheers.........Rob  

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Robin4 

When Ana restored the picture and we gave you it as gift I told her how happy you were with the picture. I told her again now and she said It was her pleasure to do it and to know you like it!
My pleasure as well, mate! 

Cheers

Jose Renato

Monalee0
Level 2
St. Ann Parish, Jamaica

@Robin4 Just lovely! Amazing! Thank you @J-Renato0 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

We give then a little pelican or a small conch shell that my wife makes with resin with the lettering: Bird Island, Placencia, Belize in the back.  

Monalee0
Level 2
St. Ann Parish, Jamaica

Congrats @Robin4! Your guests truly appreciate your signature touch. 

Hosting in the Caribbean - Jamaica-, I have been wondering about special touches for my guests as I know these can make a real difference. You have inspired me!