Where is the sense!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Where is the sense!

The Community Centre is just the tip of the hosting iceberg, less than 5% of Airbnb users are active in the various language forms of the CC.

Just on the English CC board we are aware that Airbnb in the past week has blocked the booking calendars of the following fine hosts.

Lisa 723……………………Superhost…….365 reviews

Alon1.............................Superhost……..377 reviews

Belinda55………………...Superhost…….328 reviews

Ria16………………………...Superhost…….285 reviews

Emily1……………………....Superhost……..196 reviews

Emma2259……………...Superhost……..155 reviews

Nathalie-et- Gilles0...Superhost.…….143 reviews

Aidan65…………………...Superhost……..125 reviews

Ricardo85………………..Superhost ……..83 reviews

Deborah56……………...Superhost……….92 reviews

Clare167……………….....Superhost…….…58 reviews

Vangie9…………………...Superhost……….68 reviews

Debra300…………….....Superhost………..51 reviews

What was their sin, they refused to agree and sign up to Airbnb's  ECP with regard to COVID-19 because, they felt the terms of the ECP were unachievable and unenforceable! These are hosts with integrity, the backbone of Airbnb! They could have simply agreed and kept on doing whatever they do. But they didn't, they took a stand against a completely ridiculous policy and their future reservations have now been compromised. The whole thing is obviously a sham because all they need to do to open their booking calendars again is, sign an agreement to the ECP terms.

But the worst part of this whole affair is, one arm of the company do not know what another arm is doing! Hosts are being compelled to make decisions on conflicting information! A request for clarification of the ECP by @Lisa723  got this response from the head of Global Hosting  @Catherine-Powell ......

Covid cleaning response 1.png

This response, although written back in November 2020 clearly states that everything that is made available to a guest must be washed and sanitised between guests. This is obviously a big ask, to wash and sanitize the entire property between bookings. This is exactly why many hosts chose not to tick the ECP requirement box, it is simply too big  a task, but the head of global hosting has said.....that is what is required!

But low and behold another version of the ECP has popped up, once again thanks to the great work by @Lisa723

Covid cleaning response 2.png

This has gone too far, Those great hosts I have mentioned above who probably represent less than .001% of the company's total hosts have been screwed because of conflicting information. 

All we ask is for the company to be fair, we just want competent personnel to fill decision making positions. It doesn't matter a dime to them.....but it's our livelihood.

Cheers.........Rob 

55 Replies 55

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

RE. 'Airbnb had to do this to eliminate its responsibility in case some guests pick up Covid in an Airbnb accommodation.'

How could a Guest prove they got Covid in an Airbnb accommodation?

There are so many variable and spin-off questions from this, not least if a Host has been vaccinated and will only Host those who have also been vaccinated. And if a Guest also ventures outside during their visit, it could be argued just as easily Guest contracted  outside the premises. 

It's also very likely 'Vaccine Passports' or IDs of some kind will be introduced in many countries. Israel already has a form of it, and they're considering introducing it in UK once the population has been vaccinated.

@Alon1  "How could a Guest prove they got Covid in an Airbnb accommodation?"

They don't have to prove it, just like they don't have to prove a whole host of other things that the scammer guests make up and for which Airbnb suspends or delists hosts and claws the money back from the host to give guests refunds for.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Do you know of any cases where this has happened?

@Alon1  This forum is full of stories of hosts who have been suspended or delisted based upon unproven guest allegations, and guests receiving refunds for bogus complaints.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

My question was specific to Covid. i.e. Guest claimed he/she contracted in Host property. Host denied it and Airbnb believed Guest without question. 

@Alon1  No, I don't. The concern of many hosts is that it very well could happen due to the way in which Airbnb deals with things.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

So no examples on CC and we're more than a year into this pandemic.

I rather believe Airbnb would demand Guest provide Medical report.  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Alon1,

It may be difficult to determine if a host is specifically for safety practice violations, because it's in Airbnb's terms of service that they do not have to discuss or disclose the reasons for penalties.  

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

You are not telling me anything that I don't know. 

However, like Sarah you fail to provide a single example of a Host who has complained on CC in the past year that they were penalised either explicitly because of a Guest who complained they contracted Covid, or inexplicably and they suspect it was for this reason.

@Alon1  That cleaning protocol they tried to get everyone to sign up for hasn't been around for a year.

Why are you demanding examples, aside from you liking to be argumentative? 

No one has said this has happened to anyone yet. It's just a concern because of the way we all know Airbnb operates.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

If you think I'm being argumentative to suggest that I believe Airbnb would require a Medical record in this case, then there is nothing more for me to say, because as I see it you are peddling something more akin to a conspiracy theory in this instance. 

@Alon1  Airbnb doesn't require proof or a medical report from a guest who claims they got bitten by bedbugs. Airbnb just refunds the guest and suspends the host's listing. Why would you trust this would be any different?

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Because I do, just like you don't. End of story.

Sorry, I'm busy completing a book to present to a Literary Agent. I really don't want to be distracted further. This is a waste of time and energy.

@Alon1 

I am totally agree with you. 

Way to go !

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Alon1,

My response explicitly stated breach of safety practices, not catching the virus.