Which amenities are most in-demand at your listing?

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Which amenities are most in-demand at your listing?

427259908 N1030347 smaller.jpg

Hi everyone, 

Having seen various discussions around the Community based on listing amenities recently, it got me thinking: which amenities are most in-demand at your listing?

I spotted this article on the Resource Center, which has suggestions on what guests are looking for at this time, but I’m sure your own experiences might be different. Are guests pining after a fire-pit, or desirous of a coffee-maker perhaps?

The article makes a good point that your specific amenities will likely set you up to for a particular type of traveller too - do you use your listed amenities to attract a certain type of guest?

It would be great to hear your feedback - which amenities are sought after in your listing?

66 Replies 66
Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I guess log fires, both indoors and outdoors, are the way that guests in your region like to relax @Laura2592? I'm intrigued, as it's not something I'd ever ask about personally, although it does sound nice to have.

Have you had more pet enquiries since people have been travelling more locally during Covid?

p.s. I just spotted the fairy lights you've got in the outdoor space too - they look lovely and very fitting for the name 👌

@Katie  no, not really more pet inquiries. I would say about 40% of our guests have pets and that has remained pretty steady over time. 

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

WI FI
WI FI
Wi FI
😂
stylish space
When the host speaks the same language as the guest, I do not mean linguistically, but by style, understanding and humor.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Haha there's a clear theme there @Anna9170 😂 Do they enquire specifically about the speed etc? 

Really interesting about the 'language' thing - do you find that guests suss you out in messages to see if you're a good fit for their style of communicating?

"When the host speaks the same language as the guest, I do not mean linguistically, but by style, understanding and humor."

I love how you expressed that. There are guests I have connected with from the first message we exchanged, we just obviously communicated in the same manner, had the same sense of humor. And those guests turned out to be people who I did indeed have a wonderful time with during their stays and some became friends who I still keep in touch with.

It never occurred to me to try to act a certain way or speak a certain way with my guests- I just act like what comes naturally to me, and it's seemed to work out well.

@Anna9170

@Sarah977  I loved how @Anna9170 said that, too.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Katie 

I host long-term guests these days and, at the moment, WiFi and desk/workspace is what seems to be front of mind.

The next most important thing is the kitchen. Guests use this frequently, but there's not much 'real' cooking going on and some people say they love to bake but I've never had anyone actually get on and do it! The microwave gets more use than the stove/ovens. The only guests - short or long-term -  that do a lot of full on cooking are Asian.

Short-term guests would also often tell me they were attracted by the roll top bath, but hardly anyone used it. Those that did were almost always American. I would have thought in the Summer months that the garden and roof terrace would be big draws, but most guests don't use those that much either. It's funny what people think they want versus what they actually want/need.

I don't think they count as amenities, but the location close to the centre/with good transport connections is a big draw, as are my cats!

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Yes, wifi and workspace make sense if you're looking for long-term guests, the kitchen too @Huma0. I hope you get to try some of the Asian cuisine that guests cook too  😊

Ah, so the roll top bath is a great marketing tool to entice guests to book at least (it does sound pretty dreamy!). I always think the idea of a bath is usually better than the real thing anyway - it's only at the right temperature for such a short period of time 🛁 

So cute that guests are attracted to your cats - do the cats like the guests generally?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Katie 

Yes, occasionally I have gotten to sample some of the Asian cuisine. The best was when I shared lunch with a young Korean couple. The guy was a former chef and I was absolutely amazed how many dishes he could rustle up from scratch in just 20 minutes. It was so delicious. 

I'm always planning to have a bath and rarely do. You are right, it looks so enticing but is usually too hot when you get in and then very quickly turns cold.

Yes, the cats generally like guests, but you can never be sure which guests they will take to. Many of my guests are desperate for more feline attention but, as I'm sure you know, cats will do their own thing. Some guests leave their bedroom doors open in the hope the cats will come in for a cuddle, but the moggies prefer to push open closed doors and then just walk away!

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0 very jealous that you got to experience chef-cooked Korean cuisine! What a great experience 😄

Haha yes, this is exactly how I feel about baths.

Aw I love that your cats are tempting guests in and then keeping them on tenter-hooks, classic cat behaviour! I'm sure if your guests are cat-lovers then they know to expect this though 🐈 😂

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Katie 

It's not what they ask for before booking but what they mention most often in the reviews that tells me which amenities are the faves.

1)  View

2)  Screened porch

3)  Privacy (the word "oasis" is used frequently)

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ooh what is the deal with a screened porch @Ann72? Is it like a conservatory? I'm not really familiar with the term so not sure why people would be keen for it 🤔

Do all the properties in your area of Maine have good views or does yours attract guests in particular? 

I love that they call it an oasis - I am guessing the remote location really helps to drive bookings from guests who are looking to get away from it all and relax. Sounds dreamy! 😊

@Katie  A screened porch is a porch that, instead of being open on three sides, is screened to protect against bugs and other pests and critters.  In Maine from May to July, the black flies, deer flies, and mosquitoes are terrible, so it's difficult to sit outside without screens. You don't really need the screens after early August, but they make it cozier somehow.  I happen to be sitting on mine enjoying an October afternoon so here is a picture of it for you:

IMG_2154.jpg

Quite a few guests have mentioned how difficult it is to find a place with a screened porch, which is nice, but I'm not even sure if it's something one can filter for.  And no, not all the properties have big views, but quite a few are on the water, which is incredibly special too!

I spent a lot of time at my grandma's house when I was growing up, being the only granddaughter among 5 grandsons. My fondest memories are of sitting on her screened porch, on what they called a "glider" and reading or being taught how to knit and crochet. Also, that porch was surrounded by lilac bushes, so in the springtime, it smelled wonderful out there.

@Ann72

Wonderful memory @Sarah977