Which amenities are most in-demand at your listing?

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Which amenities are most in-demand at your listing?

427259908 N1030347 smaller.jpg

Hi everyone, 

Having seen various discussions around the Community based on listing amenities recently, it got me thinking: which amenities are most in-demand at your listing?

I spotted this article on the Resource Center, which has suggestions on what guests are looking for at this time, but I’m sure your own experiences might be different. Are guests pining after a fire-pit, or desirous of a coffee-maker perhaps?

The article makes a good point that your specific amenities will likely set you up to for a particular type of traveller too - do you use your listed amenities to attract a certain type of guest?

It would be great to hear your feedback - which amenities are sought after in your listing?

66 Replies 66
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Ann72 @Kati9 @Sarah977 what @Ann72 has shown us in her photo is the same as what we call a Conservatory here in New Zealand, as they do in England/ UK and other countries.

We tend to call an entrance where it's open walled on one side and a roof a Porch.

In rurual areas they usually have coatpegs for Coats/ Rainwear and a collection of Gumboots, sometimes they have firewood stored there for winter fires and a broom cupboard.

From time to time they may both have plants and it's not uncommon for animals to curl up on them on their beds in the sun or to shelter from the elements

"We tend to call an entrance where it's open walled on one side and a roof a Porch."

Americans would call that a porch, too. I think a porch refers generally to a space that is built on to the outside of the house. So from a porch, you'd be entering the house through an outside, rather than an interior door. 

I've always thought a conservatory meant a glassed-in room. I didn't realize that it could also just be screened in.

@Helen427  I like your description of what goes on in a conservatory!  However, the windows in my picture are screened, not glassed, so I don't think it can be a conservatory.  As @Sarah977 notes your description of a porch is the same as ours.  What I'm showing is a screened-in porch, often also called a screened porch or a screen porch.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Got you @Ann72 I did wonder if the screens were to protect from bugs/mozzies 👌 It sounds kind of like a conservatory with screens instead of glass - looks lovely too, I totally understand why it's in demand! 

@Helen427 @Sarah977 for me a porch is always an entrance that is kind of tagged-on to the house, but here in the UK they are rarely open-walled as it's too cold for most of the year 😊

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

WI-FI 

Airconditioner in in the bedroom

The average traveller that books my apartments does not need parking.

In the same way that it is hard to find some traveller that get to London or N.Y. by car, in Copacabana is the same.

Car is something that prevents people to visit the city fastly! Why using a private car if there is taxis, uber, underground and buses.

In old time people thought cable TV it was a must. It is bygone days requirement.
Nowadays It is wise to offer smart tv (to have Netflix) and it is enough.
Only some dinasour guest still think cable tv is a must.
In a near future I think TV will be dispensable... people have everything on their smart phone and notebook. Or maybe it will be important only to project what they see in their smartphone to a big screen TV.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing @J-Renato0 😊 

Yes, I can imagine cable has been replaced by Netflix now, and you're right that I think people will simply want to be able to connect their own device to the TV in future. 

Do guests ask about air conditioning specifically in the bedroom, or just in the space generally?

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Katie 

When the enquire is about a studio, they just ask about airconditioning.

If the enquiere is about 1-bedroom they want to make sure there is air-con in the bedroom.

@Debra300 Youtube is also another source of good videos that guests can watch on smart  TV

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@J-Renato0,

Yes, you're correct.  I thought of YouTube after it was too late to edit my comments.  I don't know how I could have forgotten it, because my husband watches nature shows and other videos on it almost everyday.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

My boyfriend is addicted to Youtube so I'm not surprised this is in demand @Debra300 @J-Renato0  💻

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Debra300please tell your husband to throw away the remote & YouTube & get out and about exploring nature in real life.

He would be out and about everyday exploring if he was here at my place!!!

On that note, have you looked at my listing & Festival of Hospitality & Month of Celebration topics here in CC... ?

If not, please do...and dream about life amongst the wonderful nature we have in the world and the memorable moments we have when outside exploring..

just added my "Bulldozing" photo to my listing... If i could I'd put up my video of him... It was a truly magical moment, especially when one knows Cornwall Park and all of Auckland used to be filled with animals and nature

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Helen427,

Let's make a pact.  We will visit each other's archipelagos, and explore the nature on the islands.  In addition to that, my company has an office in Auckland, and I would like to personally meet some of the people who I've gotten to know virtually over the years.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@J-Renato0,

I agree with you in regards to cable TV no longer being a requirement.  Personally, we stopped using cable back in 2008, and restarted a subscription only because of the guests.  We disconnected the service when we closed in March, and do not plan to offer it again when we re-open.  There are smart TVs in each suite, and guests can watch Netflix and Prime Video.

@Katie 

Henry and I haven't hosted anyone this year...... but thinking about questions guests would ask vs. points made in the reviews after a stay, I think it comes down to: 

Our coffee machine

Location (central residential neighborhood with good public transportation access) 

Private bath 

Henry's cooking

Level of privacy guests can expect despite our listing being a private room in the hosts' main residence along with the fact that Henry and I are both able and willing to assist when guests need help or advice. 

For anyone who has done their homework about visiting Korea, they will know that good wifi availability and relatively fast up/download speeds is sort of assumed nationwide and considered to be basic (like hot water and electricity). 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What lucky guests, getting to sample Henry's cooking @Jessica-and-Henry0😋

Haha I think coffee and wifi are generally a world-wide necessity it seems. 

Do guests comment about privacy after staying, in reviews? I guess this could then encourage new guests to book if this is something that they are seeking too, so it works well for you either way!

@Katie 

Yes a few of my earlier reviews had comments from guests that we were respectful of guest privacy or the room/bath offered privacy, so I sort of guessed that maybe they were nervous about how much privacy they'd have in a shared home environment, even with their own room and bath....... and the fact that the comments made it into the review meant we exceeded expectations 😁