Which causes do you care about? Do you volunteer?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Which causes do you care about? Do you volunteer?

Cause you care about.jpg

Hello everyone,

Several of us dedicate some of our spare time to volunteer for a cause that we care about, whether that’s helping the elderly, cleaning up litter or working on community garden projects.

There are so many different ways we can volunteer our time to help others and protect our environment. (Personally I volunteered for a long time at a hospital radio station, where we use to go around the wards and talk to patients and get their favourite music requests. Now I go litter picking in my local area, to prevent rubbish getting into the river!)

Which causes do you care about? Do you volunteer locally?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

53 Replies 53

Hello All;

In the past, I coordinated a group from our church to cook for our local homeless shelter approximately 3 times per month (all the churches in town pick a day or days, so there is coverage each day).  We cooked the meal at our church kitchen and delivered and served at the shelter.  September 2017 our area was hit by a massive Category 5 hurricane.  Since then our kitchen, which was destroyed, has been in the process of being repaired and replaced.  It's very nearing completion and we look forward to resuming our meal service.  The silver lining in that storm is that now we will have a kitchen that better set up for that kind of usage!  Our old church kitchen was a small, apartment-sized galley style. I am proud that anyone in our community can get at least one hot meal per day and one "bagged" meal per day,  no questions asked.  Prepared with love.

I also am passionate about Operation Christmas Child, and a certain drug rehabilitation center.  I support them both.  I also had a recent condo owner make a donation to the local animal shelter in my name.

Blessings to you all!

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@LizzieI help to run a group that promotes animal rights in Spain and helps find abandoned Spanish hunting dogs new homes. It's believed that approximately 100,000 hunting dogs are disposed a year in Spain: the lucky ones make it to a shelter, while the less lucky are left to die in the street or countryside or deliberately tortured to death. A group of three other ladies and I run the group, and we attend marches and dog events to raise awareness and promote adoption.

My beloved Alonso was one of the lucky ones, dropped off at the shelter at three years old when he was no longer good enough to chase hare. 

Screenshot_20190303-213307.jpg

In addition to this advocacy and education type work, I work with a couple of local rescues fostering dogs so they can find homes here in North America. 

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Lizzie I do recycle trash, lucky in Chiang Mai, there are a social enterprise that taking care a next step after you. For myself, I try my best to reduce a plastic.

59FCC2E8-3514-4783-98DB-9056985985FE.jpeg

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Lizzie :  I come here for Airbnb-related content;  nothing else.  To have a post that is primarily about a quite different topic pinned to the top and taking up "above the fold" space lowers the value of this (already frankly poorly managaed and high noise-to-signal) forum.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kenneth12 

There is no obligation at all to read this thread. Just skip it and continue with the other postings on this  "already frankly poorly managaed and high noise-to-signal" forum. I personally like to read what other community members share, like a passion or a hobby.  It is a refreshing intervention on browsing through the "Airbnb related" topics.

Esther359
Level 4
Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

totally agree with you! It's up to each host which topic they'd love to read & anticipate. 

@Kenneth12 

Kenneth - I might say that I volunteer all my Airbnb guests! I do not get anything for cleaning, and it is not included in my nightly price! My median nightly price for 2 is 25$, but often it is only 16-17$! As my sheets, towels and so on - are high quality - and I give plenty of them to each guest, for two there are about 6 kilos, if I use the laundry shop- that would be just a bit over 27$. On top of washing and ironing, cleaning the flat for my guests takes around 3 hours, this job in our country would cost between 20-25$. I always leave my guests something in the fridge for free - this adds not less than 5$-7$, and I do not count the coffee, tea, toilet paper and all other cleaning things - not less than 15-20 as a number. I do not count electricity, heating, air-conditioner...   And now and then I clean the stairs or the lift of the block, or just around it as my neighbors not to protest about having guests. 

Hi chào các bạn những trải nghiệm lý thú nhất của tôi khi đến những nơi như bệnh viện ung bứu thành phố, trại tế bần giao lưu gặp gở những người già, trẻ nhỏ, một gói khi đói còn hơn một bát khi no, thật là một cảm xúc mạnh mẻ đầy xúc động. Chung tôi thường đưa khách đến những điểm tham quan như núi ngủ hành sơn ( mable mountant) thánh địa mỹ sơn, tham quan đại nội huế ( forbbiden city) thiên mụ pagoda, tự đức tomb, khải định tomb, minh mang tomb or dòng sông hương có cầu tràng tiền cho đến nay đã qua mấy thập kỹ, quay về hội an có chùa cầu nhật bản, có dòng sông thu bồn hay biển cửa đại. có nhiều lớp học cooking class các bạn sẽ được tận hưởng món ăn đặc sản tượng trưng cho thành phố hội an như: cao lầu, bánh bao bánh vạc, bánh xèo vv .... vv, chúng tôi rất hân hạnh được đón tiếp quý khách đến với chúng tôi cho kỳ nghĩ của quý vị, chúng tôi sẽ phục vụ quý khách nhiệt tình và đầy lòng hiếu khách, xin trân trọng

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Here's my cause: "Save Traditional Home-Sharing Airbnb Hosts". Also known as STHSAH. I'm taking donations, feel free to toss some coins into the hat!

What does this mean exactly ? 

Jennifer1916
Level 1
Bear Island, Canada

Hi there ! What a lovely reminder ! 

I used to volunteer at a local Animal Shelter in Sarnia, Ontario  , Canada , at The Annual Harvest Jazz and Blues in Fredericton New Brunswick, Canada and with the Elderly in Sarnia, Ontario Canada! What a great reminder of 1) How important it is to give back, 2) how much it means to another or a furry friend to have someone give their undivided time, I mean phones off y’all! And 3) the feeling of joy, contentment and happiness it creates within our soul ! I must get back to it ! I have always had a heart towards newcomers to Canada! I can only somewhat imagine how frightening it must be to settle in a foreign country where you may or may not know the language , are possibly running from oppression, civil war, political oppression etc, not knowing one person in your new country and having little or no supports in place! This is where my heart lies and I hope to find a way to help others coming to Canada ! Should anyone have suggestions as to how I can help even from home somehow, I Would live to learn more !! Please continue to share how y’all have volunteered ! I love hearing about the good works of others. Peace love and Joy ! Always! Jenny 

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

I'm a volunteer for Freecycle, an online system for keeping stuff out of landfill by giving it a second home/life. You can give things away locally or put in requests for things that other people might want to throw out. I'm the lead moderator for my part of London. Check it out! 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's really interesting @Bryan10 !

We just moved into a new office where we have used recycled furniture and accessories wherever possible! I wonder if we are using something that you have helped to recover? 

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

I would say that 50 % of  all furnishing, decoration, kitchen wear etc. are coming from 2nd hand shops, flea markets etc.

Jue0
Host Advisory Board Member
Nairobi, Kenya

Awesome. I volunteer as a Member of Twakutukuza Trust, Nairobi Kenya where we hold annual Oct Concerts and activities quarterly in aid of Cancer Treatment for mainly marginalised Kenyans. Jue, Nairobi, Kenya 

JMM