Which monuments and sites are in your local area?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Which monuments and sites are in your local area?

356432-GettyImages-696157391-ForYou.jpg

Culture always played a crucial role in the modern tourism industry and represents a significant attraction for tourists (both domestic and international), extending tourist stays and reducing seasonality.

Some are great; some are small – no matter the size, though, many are grand in their meaning to the locals' history.

From ancient monuments to medieval castles, industrial constructions or picturesque white villages, and everything in between, the world has many monuments and sites to offer and experience.

As April 18th marks the International Day of Monuments and Sites, I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to ask: What monuments are local to you and available nearby?

I am looking forward to reading your replies, and if you'd like to share photos of them, that's even better!

Thanks! 

Nick

56 Replies 56

ohhh waou! @Debra300 

That's wonderful! These flowers, these landscapes ... it's incredible! Nature is beautiful and perfect!

Essaouira_Beachlife_Morocco
Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Something relatively new:

1024px-Mining_museums_of_Pernik_38

Underground Mining Museum - Pernik

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

A mining museum? How interesting and unique! I've never been to one. Is it build on an actual site that used to operate in the area? @Dimitar27 

Pernik Mines is mentioned here in Papers Past NZ @Dimitar27 @Nick @Debra300 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Angela1056 and others.

A Prolonged Trial in 1922

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/DUNST19221023.2.6

Bulgaria honours late Prime Minister

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ODT19490712.2.66

Summary of Treaty

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WAG19190922.2.29.3

Pernik is also where a number of babies died from Calmette serum in the 1930's

The Lubeck Tragedy - Do they have a memorial for those children @Dimitar27 ?

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19311110.2.56

query=Pernik

@NickYes, the museum is using some of the real mine galleries. 500-600m of them, 60m. underground.

The full length of the galleries is actually unknown. Not less then 300-400 km total, some of them 300m. underground. Today they are not in use. The underground hospital survived until the beginning of the 90's. Later abandoned and destroyed by an earthquake.

@Helen427...the information from the third link is not believed to be true. There is no evidence abut such a thing happened here.. Note, that the distance between Pernik and Lubeck is 2000km. (1200-1300 miles).

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very interesting, @Dimitar27 , thanks for sharing. I looked on those links @Helen427  and also googled it when I finished work yesterday. As Dimitar says, the tunnels are believed to expand way more, but the precise number is unknown. It is a type of museum I've never been so instantly intrigued by it and would love to see in real life

@Dimitar27 

This is in the New Zealand Government Official Newspaper archives re 3rd link..

There's several articles about the children and Doctor, he admitted guilt and received 2 years jail.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers?query=Deyeke

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

A Statue of Peace, Cain and Abel,  The Fountain of Valkyries, Robert Burns the Poet ( I think this was built in 1921 but will check next time I'm in the Auckland Domain) and others mentioned and in photographs here from The Depression era of 1930's @Dimitar27 @Nick @Debra300 @Angela1056 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Emilie @Emilia42 @Solveig0 @Solveig13 @Solveig9 @Monu0 @Statia1 @Stathis10 @Stathis9 @Max144 @Probienca0 @Valkyrie0 @Domaine1 @Brenda959 @Adeana1 @Huma0 

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH19360702.2.23.6

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

City Statuary - A large collection Some fine examples Many Different styles - Mr J.M Mennie created the bronze statue of Robert Burns, the statue of Queen Victoria is understood to have been crafted by English Sculptor F.J. Williamson and Fountain of Valkyries by Gilbert Bayes.

Next time we visit the Auckland Domain I'm determined to find that little Cat statue..

Now folks, what do you know about who created the monuments and statues in your location?
Do you know what era they were created and with the limitations of materials available to use due to the era these people were living in?

@Huma0 @Stephanie @Mike-And-Helen0 @Helen350 @Dale711 @Mary996

@Jennifer1673 @Rachel1655 @Rory85 @Anna9692 @Sharon1014 @Laura2484 @Laura2592 @Angela1050 @Matthew1190 @Max144 @J-Renato0 @Karl9 @Michelle1705 @Essaouira-Beachlife-Moro0 @Miloud0 @Catheryn2 @M199 @Joey218 

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH19360702.2.24

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

a little cat statue? @Helen427 

please elaborate - you know me and cats hahaha 😻

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Debra300  That flower you posted looks very familiar, we have them in Exhibition Hall Gardens in the Auckland Domain - they are currently undertaking extensive works on the building at the moment, so these photos are not so recent.

Do you know the names of those flowers?
I try to ask the very helpful Horticultural staff who work at Exhibition Hall Gardens what they are if they are in the vicinity as not all the plants have there names on them.

I must ask if they can include more of them when I see the staff next.

It's so lovely to be connected across the world through Flowers and Botanic Gardens.

@Stephanie

@Debra300@Flower6 @Flower4 @Botanic1 @Gardenia8 @Rose1 

@Daphne0 @Dahlia0 @Crysantha0 

Hello @StephanieHello @Stephanie

Exhibition Hall Gardens Auckland DomainExhibition Hall Gardens Auckland Domain

Exhibition Hall Gardens Auckland DomainExhibition Hall Gardens Auckland Domain

Exhibiton Hall Gardens Auckland DomainExhibiton Hall Gardens Auckland Domain

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 I can't handle the cuteness of the dog photos 😍

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It could even be the same flower with a different name @Helen427 @Debra300 

Just the other day, two colleagues discovered they have the same flower in Poland and Brazil, with the former calling it "December" because it blooms then, and the latter calling it "Flower of May" for the same reason. Different blooming seasons, resulting in different naming but still the same flower.

@Nick   Common names for plants and flowers vary widely. But the Latin names for them are the same everywhere in the world. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

100%