Which monuments and sites are in your local area?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Which monuments and sites are in your local area?

356432-GettyImages-696157391-ForYou.jpg

Culture always played a crucial role in the modern tourism industry and represents a significant attraction for tourists (both domestic and international), extending tourist stays and reducing seasonality.

Some are great; some are small – no matter the size, though, many are grand in their meaning to the locals' history.

From ancient monuments to medieval castles, industrial constructions or picturesque white villages, and everything in between, the world has many monuments and sites to offer and experience.

As April 18th marks the International Day of Monuments and Sites, I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to ask: What monuments are local to you and available nearby?

I am looking forward to reading your replies, and if you'd like to share photos of them, that's even better!

Thanks! 

Nick

56 Replies 56
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hahaha @Nick 

That's also likely because the Earth is not Flat and at any given time the world has Four Seasons in one day!

Different seasons in different parts of the world make the world so interesting.

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Stephanie @Quincy @Lizzie 

@ShortStayPoland0 @Polanki0 @Pola2 @Hostal-Polanco-Cerro-Ale0 @Polanki0 @Annapolis0 @Polena0 @Brazil0 @Brazilian-Corner0 @BrazilianApartments0 

@Melodie-And-John0 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Flower3 @Flower5 @December2 @DeCember1 @Deco1 @Decio3 @May @May8 @May7 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I was about to tag you on Debra's reply @Helen427 

I know how much you appreciate nature pics - glad to see you beat me to it with even more gems! 🙂 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

The vast majority of tourists coming to Downeast Maine are visiting Acadia National Park. My listings are about 1 hour and 20 minutes away but 90% of my guests are heading there.

Welcome-to-Acadia-National-Park.jpg

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 I'm always amazed at the great amount of stunning national parks that exist in the US. I have no idea where to start, but Acadia is definitely going on my list 😎 💕

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Stunning! @Emilia42 

I'm with you on this @Liv - So much land and space but still I'm amazed by it

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Emilia42 
Do you go swimming in that gorgeous water at Acadia National Park/ Domain?

It looks so inviting.

Do they have many different walking Trails in the bush?
Do you know who the men were who made those tracks?
There's always a story behind these incredible places that were preserved for our betterment when they created them.

Parks in USA, National areas - Valued attractions by Robert A. ERWIN from an article in 1937, the Depression era

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AS19370501.2.186

@Debra300 @Emilia42 @Angela1056 @Fred13 @Christine1132 @Donna1035 @Xavier-Neszvecsko0 @Cheryl682 @Celia302 @Ann72 @Kate751 @Pam-And-Tim0 @Erica354

@Charles224 @Leyla13 @Marcie-and-Peter0 @Ben52

@Mark116 @David-and-Gregory0 @Colleen253 @Ria16 @Laura2592 @Matthew1190 @Stan-And-Juris0 @Melodie-And-John0 @Ian-and-Megan2 @M199 @Laura_C @Catherine-Powell @Stephanie @Liv @Nick @Brian0

@Helen350 @Kath9 @Sandra126 @Paul1255 

@Laura

There are many hiking trails at Acadia, @Helen427.  You can also walk, hike, or ride bicycles on the many miles of carriage roads designed and created by John D. Rockefeller, who donated 10,000 acres of land to the park that he loved so much.  He didn't want automobile traffic to ruin it, so he came up with the system of carriage roads.  Almost all of my guests spend at least one day at Acadia, which is about an hour's drive away.  

Your article is sadly out of date, as many national parks have been created in the last 90 years.  Here is a guide to the twelve newest:  https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/new-national-parks-usa

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Helen427, @Nick 

Here's a picture from a cave in Lions Head Bay, Ontario, Canada.  Most people don't notice it when they kayak by.

Kayaking Lions Head, Georgian Bay, Ontario, CanadaKayaking Lions Head, Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Helen427, @Nick 

Here are a couple more pictures of the rock formations at "The Grotto", Tobermory, Ontario, Canada.

The Grotto Cave, Tobermory, ON CanadaThe Grotto Cave, Tobermory, ON Canada

The Grotto, Tobermory, ON, CanadaThe Grotto, Tobermory, ON, Canada

The Grotto in Winter, Tobermory, ON, CanadaThe Grotto in Winter, Tobermory, ON, Canada

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

No one comes here for it but damn if they don't get caught by it

hem.jpg.gallery.jpg

That's right @Nick - the only monument/site we have in HH is a roundabout comprised of 6 roundabouts. 

Do you remember anything different @Mike-And-Jane0 ?

EDIT - 7 if you count the big hub one which, of course, you should.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie There used to be a building across one of the roads when I lived there. Scary roundabout until you get used to it.

@Stephanie @Mike-And-Jane0 

Did it used to have flowers on all the small roundabouts?

It was a commonplace thing to have across the world to have flowers on them to remind one of the beauty of nature and provide nature with a spot to enjoy.

We used to have flowers here on the mounds until some bright spark decided that a good cost cutting measure was to cut out having "Gardeners" employed by Councils...and they laid ugly concrete instead. Sigh.

We need those Gardeners back as it's a great form of exercise, creates employment and is for the Betterment of Public Health in the world.

@Ria16 @Laura2454 @Marit-Anne0 @Franck392 @Jennifer1673 

@Rachel1655 @Paul1255 @Huma0 @Helen3 @Helen9 @Shemelyn-Grace0 @Hemsie0 @Around-The0 @Jennifer1773 @Solveig0 @Nancy146 @Joey218 @Lauren2655 @Alon1 @Sheila546 @Helen350 @Charlotte40 

@Stephanie 
Did it used to be farmland before it became a roundabout that is also known as The Plough?
A Plough being a piece of farming equipment that used to be designed in a similar fashion, back in the day!

Clearly not designed now for Pedestrians!!

We must remember there was a lot less population and different cars - smaller, rather than super-size would you like fries with that, types of cars.

Minis, VW, Fiats, Marinas, Citreons, Humbers etc were all small vehicles, weren't they?

Would love to see some photos of it back in that era Stephanie...

"Magic" roundabout. This thing can exist only with left-hand traffic.

@Dimitar27 ??? In countries which drive on the other side, the roundabout goes in the other direction.