Which part of your listing gets the most compliments?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Which part of your listing gets the most compliments?

Liv_0-1643301677971.png

Hey everyone,

I can only imagine how much work goes into perfecting your property in order to improve guests’ experiences. From what I read on the Community, it’s a continuous process that takes great attention to detail and commitment. 

With that in mind, I thought it would be nice for us to celebrate all that hard work you’ve put into your listing by sharing some lovely feedback and recognition you’ve received from guests who have noticed the effort - whether they've praised a fully equipped kitchen or were grateful for a very comfy blanket.

What part of your listing gets the most compliments? Do you have any nice photos, stories or reviews to share?

Thanks,

Liv

66 Replies 66
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I absolutely love how lively your listings are, @Kelly1594!

Managing a new second property must be an exciting moment for you 🙂 how is that going?

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

I actually went back and read our reviews so I could answer this. I think our location is highly rated. We are 4 miles from ocean beaches and also close to downtown Sag Harbor and Bridgehampton. We are also in a cup-de-sac, so we have neighbors and quiet roadways where it is safe to bike, skateboard or scooter. 

And lastly, although it is the "Hamptons" and known as the playground for the uber rich, we are in a racially and economically diverse neighorhood.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ann783,

Hopefully revisiting your reviews brought back some nice memories 🙂 

Is there one that stood out for you that you'd be keen to share?

@Liv this is my favorite review.

Ann’s cottage was amazing. This was my family’s second stay at this cottage and it was as amazing as the first visit. It is a great space, with great amenities and a great hostess. We rented the home as a group of adults and children for a family vacation and it was perfect. Prior to our arrival and during our stay, Ann was very responsive to all communications and requests. Upon our arrival everything was very clean and there was a lovely sign upstairs welcoming all the kids in our family. My family and I felt very welcome and safe, especially considering all of the concerns about sanitizing and hygiene with covid. One of the great things about this house is that it has everything that you need and more. It is also ideally located in close proximity to grocery stores and several beaches. There is a nice heated pool complete with pool towels, noodles, other flotation devices and lounge and club chairs for relaxing outdoors. There is a fully stocked kitchen with coffee maker, Kerig and cappuccino maker. There is also everything you need for cooking including a gourmet range, pots, pans, baking pans, mixing bowls, cutlery, serving spoons, etc. There were even extras like a waffle maker, ice cream maker, indoor grill and frozen drink maker to top off your vacation. There is a large table in the dining area which was great for family dinners, a bbq grill and outdoor table perfect for lunches by the pool. The TV selections were plentiful with great options for our entire family to enjoy. Our family had a great vacation and look forward to our next stay at Ann’s cottage.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What an amazing review, @Ann783! Kudos to you 

I love how they not only noticed, but also took the time to mention several details that contributed to making their experience great 🙂 

@Liv 

Our home is a typical city apartment home, plus Henry and I both don't like clutter so no knickknacks, no art on the walls, no patterned fabrics, just the basics - we like straight lines and solid colors 😄 But almost our guests mention Henry's cooking and our coffee machine 😆 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Jessica-and-Henry0 here you go again making me crave food I can't have 😂

Is there a particular dish Henry makes that is one of the most praised by guests? Can we see pictures? 👀

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Liv 

We have had positive comments about our Bunkhouse Actually being on a creek. It is great to sleep to the sound when the creek is running, sometimes it is dry so we do not promote it very much. It is a pleasant surprise when it is flowing! The ducks and chickens along with the eggs we provide also get good reviews.

Ted & Chris
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ted307 that does sound like a very pleasant surprise 🙂 

Have you got any photos of the creek to share?

92E48A29-D7E1-41C6-A984-833E71ECFDCE.jpeg

 Here is Ted enjoying the creek

Ted & Chris
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ted307 That's such a great photo! It looks like you were having quite the relaxing time 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Hi @Liv 

By far, it's attention to detail. Guests almost always compliment the completeness and small details of the kitchen, baths and bedrooms, but also the simplicity of everything. 

We provide all kinds of small things, like wheelie beach bags and coolers, there's enough dinnerware for 20 or more (which means they don't have to wash dishes after every meal, but just put it in the dishwasher, and when it's full, simply turn it on). It's a convenience. 

They also seem to enjoy the way the light switches are simplified. Each bed has a light switch and ceiling fan control next to it. The light switches throughout the house are clearly visible, labeled and turn on or off the entire room or the terrace and garden with one press.

The wardrobes have those automatic lights that turn on when you open the door.  Theres extra blankets and duvets and bathrobes. There's a house sound system with radio and Bluetooth. All the TV's are HD smart TV's with satellite stations from all over Europe, Netflix in all languages, YouTube and screen casting and that techno stuff. High speed internet with strong WiFi coverage throughout the property. There's a display next to the entrance that gives the guests information, such as local restaurants and attractions. They can monitor their energy usage, see the pool temperature, heating for each room, view, control or talk to anyone at the main gate... 

There's soaps and shampoos, and body milk and sun creme and after sun and toothpaste, and 12 rolls of toilet paper in each bathroom. There's a plethora of cleaning supplies... Washing up liquid, dishwasher tabs.... etc.. And it's all located exactly where you'd expect it to be. 

It's like coming home. It's all there. And it's really simple. That's what they comment most about. 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's amazing @Elaine701! Good job in getting so many details right 🙂 

How did you think of everything? Have you stayed at your listing yourself and thought about what you'd like it to offer if you were a guest?

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Liv 

Thanks.. But I'd argue it's not really amazing... it's just good business, and of course, a lot of work. Nothing is free or easy. 

Yes, we stay in the villa occasionally, usually in the off season, just a few days at a time. But otherwise, we spend a lot of time there whenever there's no guests. At least a few weeks per year, we block it for maintenance and upgrades. 

But aside from that, we've used Airbnb off and on when travelling, and while we've found the accommodations to be generally good, there's always been a few irritations, such as uncomfortable beds, spartanly outfitted kitchens, limited dinnerware (one piece for each guest the place can accommodate) small or nonexistent dining areas, appliances not working. Poor lighting, Limited tv channels... But price is often a factor for us, so it's hard to complain when you're booking budget. 

But it does illustrate what we or other guests might find "less than ideal", and it does rather indicate that if you're wanting to command good prices, (and as hosting experience reinforces - better quality guests), then you need to make sure there's a lot of detail that delivers an unexpectedly good experience. And to distinguish your listing from the competition. But that's another essay. 

Also, we've made a conscious effort to avoid over selling. We don't mention many of these details in our description. We let them discover it. Under promise, over deliver.

That consistently seems to lead to happy guests... and that leads to good reviews... which leads to attracting good guests... and ultimately, increase attraction and visibility, which gives you the luxury of being picky about who you let book it, because inevitably, you'll have another come knocking in fairly short order. 

Last but not least, guests tell us a lot. Not necessarily verbally, but you see what they've moved around, what they couldn't find, or how they make use of things. It tells you a lot, if you're looking 🧐

It's work. You have to be passionate and committed. Otherwise, many would say it's just too much work. And honestly, they'd be right. Some of our friends think we're a bit crazy, and they're probably right. But they seem to admire the passion, and seem enthusiastic to contribute whenever they can. "A little help from our friends".

Anyway, you asked. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it 😊

I do agree on the under-promise then over deliver school of thought, @Elaine701 !

I do not post photos of our creek. Some might think it is ugly,  lots of 50's era old cement.  Sometimes there is no water in our seasonal creek. We enjoy it when it runs!

It is work to have a place for vacationers. We enjoy the work, and meeting our guests, but may not do this when we get too old!

That is right, the story must stick!

Chris

Ted & Chris