While hosting, when do you take your holidays?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

While hosting, when do you take your holidays?

Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 16.13.45.png

Hi everyone,

As we all know, the high season in most cases is during the summer months, regardless of when that is based on your geographical location. 

Before that busy period, I can imagine several of you preparing for the many bookings to come, but I'm curious to learn about how you spend your time after high season.

Personally, I love taking holidays in September and this also worked when hosting as my bookings would start quiet down around that time, giving me a chance to enjoy some beach time. So this got me thinking as to which month is your "September"? 

When do you take a break from hosting? 

Looking forward to reading your replies. 

Thanks,

Nick

34 Replies 34
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nick Our plan was (is) to take holidays in Jan-Mar timeframe as rates are lower and costs (heating) higher at that time. We plan to go somewhere warm in the world. I say was because between Covid and an elderly dog we haven't managed a holiday yet!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nick  The summer months here are the off season,  so no, summer isn't the high season no matter the geographical  location. It's hot and humid here during the summer and it's also rainy season, so there is much less tourism. Also, international  tourists come in the winter to escape the cold where they live.

My vacation time, when I go to  Canada, is in the summer for a month. Not to escape the heat and rain here, which I don't mind at all, but because that's my off season for work and when my daughters and grandkids are on summer holidays, so we can spend more time together.

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

Hot, humid summer weather in central Mexico is my absolute favorite-- and lightening storms each afternoon are magical & exhilarating! August is my favorite time to go to Mexico by far: less tourists and lots of Mexican families out & about...

@Lenore22 Nice to hear. Most folks from temperate climates are total wimps about heat and humidity. I've even heard lots of expats who live in Mexico year-round claim that you "can't survive" in the summer here without AC. To which I respond that if that were the case, me and all the Mexicans would be dead by now 🙂

I'm an avid gardener, which is one reason I love that time of year. The dry season dust gets washed off all the vegetation, so everything looks shiny and lush, there's no watering chores, and it's a good time to prune and transplant.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I would love to read a topic with gardening tips from you @Sarah977 🌱🌷🌴😁

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Agree to this @Lenore22 I've also been during summer months - although I think it was late June early July. Then again I'm used to humid and hot weather; I don't necessarily enjoy it, but I'm used to it. 

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Nick Whenever we want to based on the destination, availability of annual leave at work, events, social calendar etc. usually staying outside of school holidays for obvious reasons. Since my guests are business rather than leisure guests, this usually means we travel during our “high season”.

I mean this in the best of ways, but Airbnb doesn’t factor into my holiday decision making in any way whatsoever. I block the rooms out, or have a longer term guest I can trust to stay unsupervised.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

January is our September, and we like to be in the air early on New Year's Day, hopefully Asia-bound. While you have the hassle of kids for the first few days, this mostly evaporates as they return to their countries (and schools).

We've already blocked out the Airbnb calendar and have got somebody lined up to look after our (wholly ungrateful) cat. We just need to hope and pray Thailand doesn't change its mind again and pull up the moat bridge. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That would be a great escape during cold January. Hope everything goes according to plan! (do you use cat-sitter app?) @Gordon0 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I originally used trustedhousesitters.com, @Nick, but so many of my previous sitters have kept in touch so I go direct now. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That is excellent; thank you for the tip @Gordon0. I'll have a look and try it out first chance I get.

We've used an app in the past, not sure about the name as it's been a while. Since we moved to this house, we've been using the pet sitter of our neighbours, but it would be nice to have an alternative. (She also likes having her vacation in September, which creates some stress when scheduling.)

We close the calendar for two weeks and take a break in summer.  Then again just before touring season starts in earnest.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Nick,

High season in St. Lucia is in the winter, especially during the year-end holidays.  We usually go up to the States in the spring and autumn for several weeks to have our routine physicals, eye and dental exams, and to check on our house in Atlanta.  It is during those periods we often take holidays.  I have a free companion airline ticket that will expire in December, and am trying to decide where we should go next month.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Nick  Since most of my guests are business related there isn't a set time that I travel based on them. Generally I go to the states to see my kids and grandchildren during the summer months. After living on the equator for so many years I don't do cold weather well. Anything close to 20° and I'm freezing.