White nationalists in coming to Washington, DC

Jay-And-Mau0
Level 1
Washington D.C., DC

White nationalists in coming to Washington, DC

We received a message from someone concerned about the potential for white nationalists to rent our place next week in Washington, DC. She asked us to carefully vet any guests and consider canceling any suspicious reservation. We're wondering why Airbnb has not communicated with hosts in the DC Metro area about the incidents next week and potential for trouble next week. The silence is deafening and shows a continuing problem with the company's decision to put profit over people. That said, here's our reply to the person who contacted us, in case you're interested.

Hi Micah,

Thanks for your message. We can assure you that our guest next week is fully vetted and, in fact, is a grandmother here to meet her grandchild for the first time.

Your message, however, raises a good point. Far too many Airbnb hosts will accept reservations from anyone willing to pay. Why? Because far too many Airbnb hosts are now operating multiple properties. Some are, in fact, management companies. They are motivated by profits and greed and have no commitment to the neighborhoods where they operate.

My husband and I have seen this happen over time in our neighborhood. As a result, our neighbors down the street have had to suffer through loud parties and more. One young woman, who had recently moved into the neighborhood, sold her newly purchased condo when drunken Airbnb guests in the condo below her came up the back stairs and banged on her bedroom window, threatening to come in.

While some hosts last week may have been fooled, I'm sure many others simply looked the other way just to make a buck. My assumption is that many of the white nationalists had created new Airbnb profiles with no previous reviews. How many responsible Airbnb hosts would not have been suspicious. My husband and I would have declined such reservation requests and waited for a verifiable guest. But we're not greedy or foolish.

We face many threats from irresponsible hosts far beyond white nationalists. That is why my husband and I have supported the DC Council's efforts to limit Airbnb listings to those where the host lives on the property. We hope you and your colleagues will support such legislation where you live. Doing so will provide our neighborhoods security in the coming months and years. After all, while nationalists (and Antifa and the rest) may have plans to come to our area long after the inauguration is over.

64 Replies 64

Thanks for your understanding, @Helen350, we are not new, we have been on Airbnb for years, albeit under a different management.  Goes to show, can’t always tell a book by it’s cover, right?

@Fergark0  This isn't "playing politics". This is about trying to cut down on the possibilty of what is a clear danger to all by armed insurrectionists who have publicly stated their intentions to assasinate govt. officials.

Actually you are incorrect Sarah977, it’s is defiantly all about politics, if it weren’t they would have done this back in June (when the Capital was “under attack”) with BLM and Antifa, or right wing riots, for that matter.  But they didn’t. Did they?

Lord help me there was no attack during BLM marches. Fascinating that you would equate the two. Last week the president clearly told the crowd to march  to the capitol and take it by force. He said he would be there with them then went to the White House and watched it on tv. It was recorded.

And the Antifa stuff was debunked. It’s just a lazy scapegoat for people unwilling to own up for their own bad acts. Like claiming Antifa stormed the capitol as if there weren’t a gazillion cameras and news feeds showing otherwise.

Actually, that is NOT what he said. https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/donald-trump-speech-save-america-rally-transcript-january-6

Here is the full transcript, in case you want to really know the truth about what was said.  If you don’t want to read the entire thing, which I’m sure you don’t, you can skip to 1:12:43. 

There are “bad people” on both sides. Let’s not be like them, by acting like them. 

I can't imagine what kind of thinking would lead someone to plan a trip to the nation's capitol right now. The monuments, the museums, everything, is closed down and under heavy guard. Kamala Harris went to kindergarten right down the road from me, she is a first for our country, in a better version of 2021 my granddaughters would've been over the moon to attend the inauguration but as things stand it is wiser to postpone even something as fabulous as meeting a new grandbaby.  As far as I can tell,  "antifa" is a term that best describes false flag trustafarian thuglets who enjoy smashing things and grabbing headlines. The vast majority of BLM are peaceful protesters of violence perpetrated & sanctioned by the state. It makes just as much sense to call all republicans traitors because some white nationalists calling themselves republicans identify with the traitors and murderers the disgraceful & disgusting soon to be ex president loves.  The trump flag was flying over the capitol but not for long, those who tried to destroy our democracy are going to be caught tried and sentenced. There will be better and safer times to visit the capitol, especially after a competent administration has had a chance to deal with the pandemic and vaccine rollout.

@Lesa53 Drink the kool-aid do you? BLM protesters didn't try to break into govt. buildings, weren't toting guns, and never threatened to assassinate govt. officials.

@Sarah977, interesting that you (from Sayulita, Mexico, is it?) would ask me that. So, if i don’t agree with you, I’m drinking the kool aid? 

You are telling me that BLM didn’t break into govt buildings, is that correct? And never toted guns? Or threaten to assassinate govt officials? Correct?  Would you like me to send you the MSM articles on All of it? Different times, of course, not all of it happened at the same time. Mind you.   I live in Wa., I’ve seen Seattle, I’ve also seen pelosi’s house just this weekend.. that was Antifa, not BLM.. but, you get the drift.  Talk about koolaid.. try critical thinking. That would be thinking on your own, not using others opinions, just in case you were not clear.  

I love Mexico by the way. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lesa53,

Just an FYI, it would be incorrect to assume that the location of a person's profile is reflective of their nationality or residency.  In this conversation alone, there are at least six people who live somewhere other than the place they were born and/or have citizenship.

I don’t remember saying anything about anyone’s nationality, I was reflecting the place next to the name. If you are not from Saint Lucia, I would never know that, since I am from Bellingham WA.  I’m not sure why you would have a place, if that isn’t where you live. That’s all. But thanks for the FYI.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Liv,

Although most of us have seen what has occurred at the US Capitol Hill, and it's good that some effort is being put forward, but Airbnb and other OTAs should think about expanding their blocking filters, because it has been reported that riots are planned to take place this coming weekend at each of the 50 state capitols.

@Debra300  I agree, but in the absence of Airbnb facilitating this, if I were a host in any of those capitols, I would be blocking out the week's dates to new bookings and looking at asking Airbnb to cancel any quite recent bookings for those dates. 

Bookings that were made many weeks or months ago, or from repeat guests, or those with lots of fab reviews, are likely quite safe to keep.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sarah977,

Very good recommendations.  I mentioned Airbnb taking further action, because there many hosts who are wholly reliant upon Airbnb making most of their hosting decisions for them.  This is evidenced by the numerous posts that we see from hosts who received all sorts of warning signs, but still accepted a booking.  Then they will bemoan how their spaces were trashed, and Airbnb should have done a better job of verify the, and is ignoring their resolution center claim.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I am really confused. So the assumption is that white nationalists use Airbnb exclusively? And counter protestors or those attending inauguration would not? 

There are still hotels, Vrbo and your car... In addition to figuring out why innocent people are swept along, also wonder if this will truly stop anyone determined to go or just fuel them more...

Not a rhetorical question, just thinking out loud

@Inna22  Through all the noise on this forum, you win the smartest post award in my opinion.  For anybody who actually thinks about it.  I mean really is an armed insurrectionist or terrorist or whatever you call them going to stop, because they could not get an airbnb?  

But, great PR splash for airbnb (ABNB) no doubt.  They are a public corporation now.