White sheets or not?

Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

White sheets or not?

For some of my listings, I have white sheets - the same ones other professional hotels use, and the rest I have brown tone sheets.

And I use the same cleaners to clean and prep my places - so they have same level of cleaning skills and such.

After just 1~2 times use of the white sheets, my guests commented that it didn't feel clean - I was pretty bummed.

All the makeup stain, sweet stain, etc was so hard to remove - even with bleaching, and even just a little hint of slightest stain made the sheet seem not 'really clean'.

I found out that washing them with boiling water temperature with bleach does a pretty good job - yet it is double the work as I would need to wash first to remove certain dirt and stains (like blood- hot water makes it permanant on the fabric).

Also the white color somehow made the wrinkle on the sheet more noticable which didn't help at all.

While my white sheets were suffering, my brown tone sheets were really easy to handle. Regular wash handled all stains, I never got any bad feedbacks, only the good ones about it. It somehow the color made the sheet look like it was almost ironed as well. And brown sheets were cheaper as well.

What do you think about the white sheets? Does it worth the extra time and effort?  (if so, could you share your tricks? maybe I need to teach my cleaners....) 

If not, what are your favorite colors for your sheets? Black? Navy? Patterned?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

I do like using the white sheets but they need extra care. Sometimes bleach is not enough so I use a product called "Rust Stain Remover" and it works wonders on all kinds of stain. The sheets are very white. Yes, blood stains will be permanent if you use hot water but it's just a matter of checking the sheets before you put them into the washing machine. I use very good quality sheets that are 100% cotton, and yes they do wrinkle. An owner of a B&B, years ago, gave me a trick for having sheets on a bed that look ironed, without ironing. If you don't have guests coming the same day you put the bottom fitted sheet and the flat sheet on when they are still slightly damp and flatten them tight with your hands. You can even put on the blanket and fold the top of the flat sheet over and tuck then ends under the bed. it is amazing how nicely they "set". You do have the iron the pillows though!

I did once try coloured sheets but found that I could not remove stains as easily as with the white sheets. They turned an off colour whenever I used any kind of stain remover.

Rita10
Level 3
Sunshine Coast, Australia

HI Kelly,

I work in an industry that uses white sheets and many times I'm putting the white sheets back into the wash because someone before me didn't correctly categorise them.  They are nice to use, however, what colour sheets do you use? go by that.  All the very best for your future Airbnb Hosting.

Rita

White sheets only. They can be bleached and have stain remover used on them without discoloring. And they somehow look cleaner and crisper!

Where can I find thick, hotel quality white sheets? Everything I've been finding is too sheer. Thanks.

I actually ordered from Chinese supplier thst sells to hotels as well. It wasn't cheap - queen fitted sheet 15USD, duvet cover 20USD. Also they are not as sturdy as other sheets I have tried before. Some started to show holes within 1 year.

Not sure if I would reorder these sheets. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kelly3   A lot of people swear by white sheets, but I find they are difficult, even without stains, after a few washings they start to look dingy.  I much prefer a pattern or a colored sheet, they are more forgiving of small imperfections and they seem to look better w/less work.  Every time I buy a set of white sheets I regret it.  And I agree w/you, we had when we started a dark chocolate brown set of sheets for both beds and those lasted a long, long time and they were very inexpensive to start with.