White towels used to remove makeup, could/ should I report it in my reviews of the guests?

Marco65
Level 5
Rome, Italy

White towels used to remove makeup, could/ should I report it in my reviews of the guests?

I would like to return to the conversation that I opened  some time ago with a variation, since in 60% of cases the ladies use white towels to remove the makeup (despite everything I can invent about it), could I write in my reviews this inconvenience or should I keep it for myself as a personal nuisance?

15 Replies 15
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Like you, I like to use white towels.  I provide make up removing wipes and request the guest to use them.  Most will comply but even then some make up does get on the towel.  Or, even worse is the use of the tanning body lotion.  I am always able to get it out of the towel with bleach so I do not make a big deal of it in the review.  

Now, if the guest is blatant in their disregard for my furnishings, towels, linens, I would add it to the review.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I learned this hard lesson a long time ago. You have to provide black make up towels.

$21.27 on Amazon -- Chakir Turkish Linens Dobby Border Luxury Black Cloth Turkish Cotton Make up Cleansing (Set of 6).

I also provide a jar with cotton balls.

Clean your whites with bleach, lots of detergent, hottest water. Try enzyme cleaner if you have to.

@Pete69 

Thanks for the answer. At home I provide black face cloths and I invite them to use for makeup and are constantly used for showering, I provide cotton pads, soft and thick tissues, micellar water, cleansing milk, foam detergent, a product to remove makeup from the eyes but nothing works, the ladies leave me foundation and tanning for the body everywhere, they remove these products even with the bath mat.

Maybe time to provide brown towels.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I provide black wash cloths but that doesn't stop some people from still using my white towels. I don't mention anything about it in reviews because since I swapped out my cheap towels for some higher quality towels, I am able to get all stains out. When I used cheap towels, forget it, the fabric would absorb the stains so quickly. Personally, I prefer to use white towel and linens because Bleach can do wonders. For bleach to be truly effective you have to use with cold water. I almost always wash my whites on a cold water cycle and haven't thrown out a sheet or towel in a long, long time.

I always thought you used hot water with bleach.  This is new information.  How did you find out this information?

I watched a YouTube video from Clorox and they say to use the hottest water setting in conjunction with their bleach.  I'm sure they've done their experiments.

@Emilia42 At first I thought I would buy really nice and expensive towels but then I thought I would just spend a lot of money because a thick and ultra soft towel invites to stain it in the most creative ways, not to mention that I often have families with teenagers and acne products destroy everything!But I admit that I didn't know that good quality towels retain less stains, I've never dwelt on this.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Linda108 @Emilia42  I'd also always been under the impression that bleach works best in hot water.

@Sarah977 @Linda108 I can't remember where I read it and the internet has mixed results. Half of the articles say hot water and the other half say it's the biggest misconception. Who knows. But hot water has "set" as lot of the toughest stains and I always have really good luck when I wash in cold.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emilia42  I guess it'll just have to remain one of life's mysteries. I only have the cold water hook-up to my washing machine anyway, (which isn't really cold, more like tepid, as it comes out of a big black tank on my roof), so when I do use bleach it's not with hot water, and it seems to work fine. I've also never had a dryer, and I believe that stuff lasts a lot longer when you don't use a dryer. All that stuff in the lint trap? That's the fibres of your clothes 🙂 

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Marco65   I use dark blue wash clothes and also nice dark blue/grey towels. I find it way more convenient for cleaning! :). But I agree, white towels look nice! 

I personally wouldn't mention it in the review since it can be expected. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Emilia42 I never knew about cold water with bleach, either!  I'm going to try that.  I'm the worst offender of all when it comes to using white towels to remove my makeup, @Marco65.  I would never use the black ones because I don't feel my face is getting clean.  It's not so much the color, it's the fact that you really have to scrub your skin with the towel or washcloth for maximum exfoliation.  And black towels don't feel right.  But as @Emilia42 has discovered, better quality towels remain white longer!  (Thanks, Emilia, for pointing that out - I had noticed that last year when I bought some Sferra towels.)  Get in a supply of Oxy Clean, both spray and powder, and expect to replace hand towels (the size most commonly used for drying your face after using makeup remover) once a year.  I've started buying two hand towels for every set of bath towels I buy.

@Ann72 Oh! That's why maybe they use my face cloths as wash cloths!