Does anyone decorate their listing for the holidays?

Answered!
Erin443
Level 10
Salt Lake City, UT

Does anyone decorate their listing for the holidays?

We wanted to add a little bit of decor to our guest apartment - some lights and wreaths, maybe. Another host told me that Airbnb advised against it because so many guests might find it offensive. What are your thoughts? What have you done that worked well? Many thanks in advance.

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I really don't understand the whole getting offended thing. I celebrate Christmas, not because I am overly religious, but because it's a beautiful season. Why are white twinkling lights and balsam so offensive? If a friend sent me a hanukkah card, why would I be offended? I would think to myself Thank you for thinking about me during this special time of year.

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Erin443
Level 10
Salt Lake City, UT

Hi Inna- actually my ex-fiance is Jewish, and several of our friends. I spent many happy holidays with his family and surrounded by those beautiful elements of the holiday. But I see your point. I was thinking less nativity scene and more greenery, a couple of wreaths and some fairy lights. I was hoping non-religious would be acceptable?

@Erin443 again, I think the key is which space this is. I am sure you want your guests feel at home. Non Christian guests will not feel at home surrounded by wreaths. I agree that it is overboard to be offended but we do not have to talk extremes only. I would say living room, outside, your space- go for it. Strictly guest space- neutral 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Erin443 

As a host,  you should be very careful concerning yourself with 

"Another host told me that Airbnb advised against (Xmas)"

If anything, you should be concerned with "Airbnb has advised me..."

This is the beauty of Airbnb. We are individual hosts running our own businesses as we see fit.

We can celebrate Xmas, Hannakah, Ramadan as we see fit. We just can't discriminate.

As for celebrating Xmas, this is America. Xmas is not only a Christan holiday, it is also a secular holiday.

@Paul154 you think birthday of son of God is secular? I even looked the word secular up thinking I am missing something. But nope

sec·u·lar

adjective

denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis.

@Paul154 wrote:

@Erin443 

Xmas is not only a Christan holiday, it is also a secular holiday.

Ummmm.... no. It is pretty darn religious. Nothing secular about it actually.