Who is your ideal guest?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Who is your ideal guest?

Jenny_0-1659955637253.jpeg

Hello everyone!

Each of you likely have your own idea of what makes the perfect guest, which might vary depending on your listing type, style of hosting, personal preferences, personality, or schedule for example.

To make things interesting, I’ve left the question quite open to interpretation, as I think it’ll encourage some entertaining answers.

So, tell us, who is your ideal guest?

Maybe you’ve got a picture in your head of the personality of a perfect guest, who is either quiet and clean, or rather outgoing, a great cook or very chatty and keen to connect? Do you maybe simply wish to have Antonio Banderas or Dolly Parton come to stay with you?

Looking forward to seeing who your ideal guest is!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

36 Replies 36
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

My favorite is the guest that already paid and doesn't show up.  The perfect guest. 🙂

After the no-show types, is a guest that is friendly and cooperate in nature and we never hear from the them their entire stay, till pick up. A match made in Heaven; 90% of my guests are like that.

Wish could say the other 10% be no shows, but such luck. Those 10% are composed of whiners, unable to follow instructions, forget everything and even some genuine fruitcakes. Most are fun however and still good guests.

Hands down, rather have guests from Airbnb than direct or from another booking agency.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Fred13 No-show guests are no effort! It's good to hear most of your guests are ideal guests though.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

They don't?  Must be why I love them so much and remember them with fond memories. Unfortunately they are so rare,  like 5 in 7 years.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jenny 

Put simply, my ideal guest is one that thoroughly enjoys their stay, but not to the detriment of other guests or me!

A more detailed answer would be:

- Great communication. They tell me a bit about themselves and why they want to stay

and provide the answer to the Easter Egg question so I know they have actually read the listing. They might have some (sensible) questions if they are unsure of anything. They provide a check in time within my check in window. They acknowledge important information/directions and follow them and are generally good communicators during their stay.

- They follow house rules and make an effort to clean up after themselves in communal areas and are generally respectful of others.

- As for how sociable they are, well that is up to them. I prefer guests who are mostly out and about doing their thing, enjoying the city etc. but are friendly and at least a bit sociable when they are home. They don't need to spend a lot of time with me or other guests, but a friendly smile and hello when they come home goes a long way to making one comfortable about that stranger in the house! At the same time, they are reasonably self sufficient and don't expect me to entertain them for the whole evening every evening.

- They leave a personalised review with five stars in every category!!

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Jenny 

Right now y favorite guest is my only guest!

He is a part-time nurse who lives out in the country and comes to Prescott to work every other weekend for 4 nights. He sleeps all day, very quiet. He only occasionally microwaves so never messes up the kitchen. He brings his food all packed so he likes my larger sized refrigerator with a pretty good sized freezer. He brings his own pillow. Leaves for work at 5 pm, gets back and goes to sleep at 6:30, like clock work. Checks in and out on time without drama. The cleanest guest we have ever had.

After he booked his time this month, we raised our rates for the un-booked weekends, and got a booking on VRBO. He is our only AirBnB customer this month, & last month. I am very fortunate to have him! I have ordered more business cards to give to the local hospitals, to try to get more like our favorite nurse.

Ted & Chris
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Ted307 I can imagine why this guest is your favourite! If he always comes back, it might be nice to do a bit extra for him and perhaps he'll spread the word at the hospital. 😉

-----

@Sybe 

I leave him things he likes in the refrigerator. Boiled eggs, or fresh squeezed grapefruit juice I get from a friend's tree in mason jars with lids to take with to work. We offer all of our guests eggs, but he never used them. So I started leaving already boiled eggs -- labeled -- for him instead. That was more like it! All eggs eaten. He was very enthusiastic, so now we always plan to boil them for him.

I do not think he wants to share his spot with his co-workers, though. 😉 I have given him our cards to give them.

Ted & Chris
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Like @Fred13 , I love those no-shows. Had one this spring. Only problem was that after radio silence, they wrote three weeks beyond the non-arrival to say they had forgotten to come and to ask when they could use their three-night credit.

They were still pretty ideal. I don't accept imaginary self-awarded credits. 🙂

@Jenny, my ideal guests are dirty hikers. (I am one.) They embrace carrying their stuff to the treehouse, and all the discomforts of no electricity, plumbing, wifi, cafés or fine restaurants. They are self-sufficient and understand leave-no-trace camping. Also, they're a grateful bunch since no one else likes them -- you hosts with your snow-white linens. So you are happily saved from their muddy feet, and they are, muddy feet up, happily reconstituting their dried dinner over a campfire. Win-win!

I could tell you have a sense of humor @Lawrene0 . I have a 'Hall of No Shows' page in my scrap book.

My real favorites (of those that show up) are those who say - "We camp or have an RV" during introduction.  I now I can cut the sales pitch short since they are already familiar with the components we use in the island. I then I switch to a Glamping hat.

@Lawrene0 Oh this is good. Real good. I enjoyed reading your post. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

My favorite are those who answer all my questions in their first message and include the password hidden in my additional rules. When I get such a booking my first thought is always "I already love you <3" 🙂 They usually keep in touch during the day of arrival and arrive exactly at the agreed time (or timely let us know in case of any traffic delays)

Airbnb guests are so much better than BC ones. Probably because we can rate them as well.

Of course, no-show guests are everyone's favorite 😄 Just 2 in 5 years.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Haha those are the guests that make you go "Please stay forever"! 

-----

The one that pays and does not stay 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

1. Hairless gentlemen of a certain age (quiet, non-shedding and low maintenance)

2. German empty-nester females (quiet, low-shedding and always out sucking up every ounce of London’s culture)

3. No-shows