Who is your ideal guest?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Who is your ideal guest?

Jenny_0-1659955637253.jpeg

Hello everyone!

Each of you likely have your own idea of what makes the perfect guest, which might vary depending on your listing type, style of hosting, personal preferences, personality, or schedule for example.

To make things interesting, I’ve left the question quite open to interpretation, as I think it’ll encourage some entertaining answers.

So, tell us, who is your ideal guest?

Maybe you’ve got a picture in your head of the personality of a perfect guest, who is either quiet and clean, or rather outgoing, a great cook or very chatty and keen to connect? Do you maybe simply wish to have Antonio Banderas or Dolly Parton come to stay with you?

Looking forward to seeing who your ideal guest is!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

36 Replies 36
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Gordon0 So as long as there's no hair, no noise, and no demands? 😜

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Jenny ideal guests were:

1. single people or couples who did not add additional guests or invite others over
  2. spent some time in the space but really explored the surrounding area-- gentle usage of the space.
  3. read and understood rules
  4. did not sleep in both beds
  5. left the house in decent shape
  6. communicated that they got there and that they were leaving in a friendly polite manner, but did not ping us constantly during the stay

@Laura2592. You nailed it for me on ##2 and 4. 

Michael5047
Level 6
West Palm Beach, FL

Any that doesn't complaint about every little thing to get a refund.

Mike from West Palm
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

We had a family turn up to one of my villas and he started kicking off because we are not on the beach, we dont say we are on the beach, we actually say in the description we are 1.5km to the beach.

They didn't stay and stormed off, his loss they paid for 2 weeks, saved me money on electric, cleaning and laundry.

He didn't even put in a claim, 

I always tell people, You Smile we Smile, just relax and enjoy your holiday

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

The perfect guest are the one who turn the A/C off when they go out

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Sudsrung0 Everyone is welcome as long as you turn off the A/C (and generally don't waste too much electricity)! 😃

-----

@Sybe  Leaving the windows ope and the A/C running, The garden doesn't need cooling down.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Sudsrung0 In Dutch we have a saying for this: emmers water naar de zee dragen (carrying buckets of water to the sea). Right @Quincy ? 😃

-----

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jenny,

My ideal guest:

1. books without  trying to get a discount, communicates well, and responds promptly with requested information. 
  2.  read the house rules, and asks questions about specific items (e.g., having visitors, additional parking, etc.).  
  3. are considerate of our time, and communicate if there are experiencing travel delays which will impact their check-in time.
  4. listen and watch closely during the check-in walkthrough when they are shown how to use the locks, appliances, and streaming services.
  5. don't slam doors, and speak softly while in the common hallway.
  6. close all windows and doors when running the air conditioner.
  7. don't bring unregistered people into the guesthouse.
  8. ask questions when they are not sure.
  9. don't complain about walking on hills.
  10. leave the space for a good part of the day, every day.
  11. follow the checkout instructions.
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

The perfect guest is very subjective. But these qualities I think we would all love.

-  reads the listing and only asks questions not answered or photo imaged in the listing. 

-  answers the questions asked for instant book and meets our ID and compliance requirements.

-  divulges details of guests accompanying them, instead of treating it like national security. (first names for the welcome board)

- responds within 24 hours of a message sent to them (pre-arrival)

- listens to check in instructions

- follows the house rules 

- looks  and tries before messaging, asking where something is (such as spare linen - shown on checkin) 

- doesn’t cost me my mortgage from their over usage of utilities (specifically air conditioning turned to meat chiller room temperatures (tropical climate here) or infrastructure and furniture damages (general wear and tear expected, including occasional crockery or glass breakage.)

- doesn’t use the white towels for wiping off artificial tan, makeup foundation or hair dye

- doesn’t use the dark coloured towels for peroxide hair dye or bleach clean up.

- doesn’t require anything other than the usual standard clean and sanitation on departure. (No professional or hazmat team needed)

- appreciates your space and the extras you do or might offer

- leaves happy

- leaves me happy! 
= win:win

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Cathie19 I've seen a lot of these mentioned on the CC before so I think you hit the nail right on the head with this list!

-----

@Cathie19 I got a kick out of “no hazmat team needed”

And Leaves a great review!!

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

I haven't had any real problems with any guest. For my listing the most important thing is that they have a great stay and a great time. I don't sweat the little stuff. You just kind of have to accept where people are at in their journey.  Communication for my listing is primarily through messaging and texting which is different than meeting people in person. The ideal guest responds to personal messages with a thank you, that they are excited, looking forward to their stay, the usual, keep the place clean. Some might get off to a bumpy start by not reading the listing or messages with their check in info, but that doesn't mean they were bad guest. Some people may just hit a limit with how much time they can be looking at screen, or just don't like to message or text, and thats fine also, as they end up being great guest. At the end of the stay the place is in good condition thats all that matters. They are paying for an accommodation.   I don't put on a butler suit and go serve them cheese and wine. I actually enjoy when some do reach out or see them and chat, but at the same time, always realize that people are unpredictable and a problem guest may likely not have any red flags. Surprisingly its almost always another host that don't read the listing or messages and break house rules. If its someone I don't want back if they disrupted neighbors, broke house rules, I feel communicating is a good option and they have all been very considerate and accepted responsibility, as there are other listings that would be better fit, just like long term renters. Thankfully, though, most guest are a perfect fit, and it really works out.