Who should change the bed sheets?

Rossana121
Level 3
Biel/Bienne, Switzerland

Who should change the bed sheets?

Hello everyone, I would like to have your opinion about long-term stays (>1week).

Of course after a week, one expects to have a clean set of towels and linens (although I highly doubt some of them do a weekly change at home, but nevermind).

My question is: should I simply provide them with a fresh clean set and let them handle the changing or am I supposed to undo and redo the bed for the guest/s?

My gut would go with just provide them, but I'm a little conflicted.

Also, I can't believe that Airbnb still hasn't implemented a way to have the cleaning fee as a lump sum or a weekly fee for longer stays.

In case of a 1 or 2 month booking, if you have to do a weekly change and sweep of the place you should be able to charge for it.

7 Replies 7

@Rossana121  Someone renting a private room in a shared house for 1 month or more is likely to feel a bit more like a housemate than a guest. In most cases, providing a change of linens and making cleaning materials available for the guests to do their own room maintenance is preferable. However, some portion of long-term guests may be happy to receive an occasional cleaning service; you could use the Resolutions center to charge this as an optional add-on, with the rate clearly disclosed in your listing.

Rossana121
Level 3
Biel/Bienne, Switzerland

Thank you @Anonymous , receiving suggestions from more experienced hosts (I'm a newbie!) is always helpful.

My first guest was a long stay (more than a month), he tricked me into thinking he was a nice person, but a discovered later he was a bit demanding.

After 1 week he came forward claiming it was time for the set to be changed and had me do it for him. I was too naive to say no, didn't set a price for it and the room price was embarrassingly low.

So I guess it was all to his advantage.

I learned a lot during that time though 😄 

@Rossana121   I'm sorry to hear that your first guest abused your hospitality like this. I generally wouldn't recommend that new hosts (and particularly in-home hosts) offer long-term bookings at all. They really limit your opportunities to build up a solid record of positive reviews, and you risk getting stuck for a long stretch of time with someone you just can't stand.

Under no circumstances should someone be bossing you around in your own home. Just be completely clear in your listing about what is and is not on offer, and don't hesitate to engage guests in some discussion about expectations before accepting a booking (hopefully you're not using Instant Book).

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rossana121 

Rossana, I am sorry you have had this experience, and I am afraid I have to say.....every guest teaches you something.

For most genuine hosts I feel a golden rule of thumb applies to hosting.....'How would I like to be hosted, what would I expect?'

Personally I do not like to sleep in the same night attire or in the same linens, or use the same towels for any longer than 4 days, and I automatically offer my longer term guests the same courtesy. I make it clear on arrival that I like to do a linen/towel change each 4 days and get the guests approval to come into the cottage and do that. 

I don't consider it an imposition, and neither does the guest.....to me it is just a part of being a good host!

I allow in my listing amount the latitude to do a linen change on a 4 day basis. 

I agree with you that Airbnb should allow an additional cleaning charge on a regular basis for long term guests but Rossana, they don't so, the way I look at it I am happy for the continuity of nights and am prepared to put myself out for that odd hour once every 4 days....

I don't think it's a big deal!

Cheers......Rob 

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

Sorry to hear about your experience @Rossana121 .  @Anonymous and @Robin4 have given you some good advice.  We learned too about setting expectations for guests in advance so there are no misunderstandings.  This is especially important during the pandemic for everyone's safety!  The cleaning fee isn't an issue since we don't provide the service during stays.  

At our rental, we tack on the following statement to our guest message whenever there is a booking for 7 days or more:

"LONG-TERM RENTAL NOTICE:  Since you are staying for 7 days or more, please be aware of the following conditions.  All of the consumable amenities are for your use free-of-charge.  We won’t replace them during your visit, but they are provided for your convenience.  There are grocery and convenience stores located nearby and noted in the online Guidebook.

There is no cleaning done at any time throughout your stay.  Guests are responsible for using the supplies provided (under the sink and in the dining room closet) to maintain the premises.  Fresh sheets and towels may be requested on a weekly basis.  We’ll normally check-in with you to see if you need anything every 7 days.  However, don’t hesitate to contact us sooner if you have questions or need assistance.  

Garbage & recycling pick-up is on Tuesdays.  You are welcome to handle the disposal yourself at any time in the rear of the property."

Our last long term guest washed the sheets and towels herself since we have laundry facilities available for guests (she chose to do this; normally, we're willing to do the task).

Good luck with your listing!

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Rossana121 I host rooms in my home. A cleaning company comes twice a week for all common areas and does the rooms on one of those visits.

I offer them the option of either the cleaning company to clean their room, or them doing it. Largely, the cleaners get asked to clean, and the guest changes their own laundry, but I wash it.

I always give them the option so they know their privacy is being respected, but ultimately they are paying more than just a room in a house share so I feel it’s reasonable for them to expect a little more.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rossana121  I'm a home-share host. I offer my guests clean bedding and towels after a week and ask if they would like me to charge them out or do it themselves. So far all have said they will do it themselves, which tells me they prefer their privacy. If they asked me to do it, I would, no problem, and wouldn't feel that remaking a bed would be anything I would charge for.

Other than that, I don't clean during a guest's stay, but I have a 2 week max booking setting. If I allowed bookings longer than that, I might reserve the right to go in and clean if I saw that the guest was living like a slob (of course I wouldn't tell them that was the reason, I would just have it as part of my policy).