Who was your favorite guest of all time, and why?

Adrienne107
Level 4
Seattle, WA

Who was your favorite guest of all time, and why?

Not all guests are created equal. Some we tolerate, some we survive, but some surprise and utterly delight us. 

About a year ago, we had a woman staying with us who, we quickly learned, was in town for her mother's memorial service. We assumed, given the occasion, that she would want to be left alone to grieve, but instead she came to us on her first night in town asking for our advice on the best places within reasonable driving distance to see a beautiful view. "Mom loved a great view," she told us, "so I want to go to all the places she would have wanted to take me if she could." We were so touched by her request that we took her on a guided tour of all our favorite views in the area, and had a wonderful time taking photos of her in front of each lookout point with one arm around the spot where her mother should be. Finally, we asked a passerby to take a group photo of all three of us in front of Snoqualmie Falls.

At the end of her stay, she left a copy of our group photo she'd had printed out on photo paper, along with a vase of fresh flowers. "Beautiful flowers for a beautiful couple" read her note. Imagine: in the midst of all her responsibilities as executor of her mother's estate, she took the time to do that for us. 

Those are the experiences that you just can't have in a hotel. It's for guests like her that we do what we do.

I'd love to hear about a guest that has stayed with you, long after they left your home. 

18 Replies 18
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Adrienne107 

Ade, you did ask for our favourite guest....and in my last post I just put in Lee as a memorable guest!

To my favourite guest......I came out of my man cave one morning and the guest was sitting at one of our outdoor seating areas. I went over and sat with him for a while and we simply talked there in the midst of our garden. I sensed he had tears whelling up in his eyes and he said to me....."I would love to grow something".....He lived on the 18th floor of an apartment building in Shanghai and had no access to a bit of dirt where he could actually plant something and watch it grow. I took him into our potting shed and for the next two hours, between us, we struck cuttings that would become a part of our next seasons garden....he was in seventh heaven!

Three months ago I got a message from them, they have booked to come back here and get married in our garden. They don't just want their wedding photos on 'The Bund' they want them in a real live garden, so I have a bit of pressure on me to make the  garden look, pretty good by October.

I still see the look on his face when he said .... he would love to grow something, and at that point he found a way into my heart.

They are my favourite guests!

Cheers......Rob

Oh that's just wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

Glen-N-Penny0
Level 2
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

We just had an elderly guest who was moving back to this area to be closer to family. She had lost her husband a while back and her grandson was going through some hospital visits. 

Her line to us in the Visitors Book ' I have felt so loved and at peace here. I came stressed and you have given me my life back.' 

Man... it doesn't get better than that.

That is why we do this. Yes, the money is great, but the joy of loving on people is bigger than that. 

Absolutely. When we first started out we were just hoping to make a few extra bucks, but over time we learned that it's the human connections and creating amazing, unforgettable experiences for guests that make it all worthwhile.