Who would like to have the feature to filter out local guests?

Nai1
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Who would like to have the feature to filter out local guests?

This might sound to offend Airbnb non-discrimination policy, but I'm curious who would really like to have the option to reject local guests from booking?

Based on our experience local guests caused most of the wear and tear to our properties.

"Sneak-in" parties are also hard to detect and unavoidable...

16 Replies 16

@Nai1, when I was new (meaning, right now), the experienced hosts recommended avoiding local guests.

Imagine my surprise when there was no Instant Book setting for "Avoid Local Guests"

So... that idea sounds cool.

I wonder how one would define "local" from a programming perspective...

Nai1
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Glad you pointed this out! I'm a programmer 🙂 I think this could be easily done by matching the listing country and the country of guest profile.

@Nai1 So if I’m a host in the US, it would not include any guests from the US? That wouldn’t work. Even at a state level would not be good. I don’t mind hosting guests who live in my state. 

Yup. It would probably be a bit tricky for big countries. Didn't think of that one since I come from a relatively small country.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Nai1

Locals can be a red flag, but they could also have perfectly valid reasons for needing a place to stay and could prove to be good guests.  I have stayed locally on more than one occation because my own apartment was already occupied with airbnb guests.  

Nai1
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

That's a very good point.

Or maybe some feature like local guests have to "Request to book"?

Airbnb is doing a pretty good job helping hosts handling last minute guests by asking them their arrival time if they book within 48 hours of their arrival. For hosts who have enabled Instant Book maybe Airbnb can ask local guests to send in their inquries for approval first? I've had many cases where local guests instant booked my place and they admitted they will be having a party in the apartment after I send to a message to ask (despite the fact that I've untick party option).

I always send local guests a message stating that we have a STRICT no-party policy when there is a big group booking for 1 night during weekend.

Unfortunately some will just sneak in...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

How are they able to sneak in extra guests and oarty @Nai1 ?

Do you not have CCTV at your place?

I would say vetting your guests carefully, having CcTV, minimum 2/3 night stay, house rules around noise and no-one at the listing that is not on the booking will help. 

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

hi @Nai1, if your concern is mainly parties, you might invest in "Party Squasher" ("Smart home mobile device with mobile app")- someone else mentioned it in another thread. It's a little electronic box you hide in your house which counts the number of cellphones on the premises.  When it hits a certain number you've pre-set, say 10, it lets you know a party is happening and you can run right over and squash the party!  $159 from Amazon here in the US.  Might help if parties are your main concern... Susie

Nai1
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Thank you for your suggestion Susie. I'm aware of these devices.

Unfortunately 159 USD is a big investment since we are not making USD 😉

It's like the equivalent of investing 700 USD for the device with current conversion rate...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The easiest way to avoid problem guests bringing in additional guests is to use CCTV or similar. I don't agree there should be a block on local guests.

This is about vetting your guests to ensure a good fit and having CCTV or similar so you can make sure you identify problem guests and if necessary ask Airbnb to cancel the booking if they bring additional guests....wherever they come from.

CCTV is much better than a party squasher device as you will be able to see those bringing in additional guests as well as those having a party.

I appreciate this is a cost, but I would suggest it is an essential cost for your Airbnb business @Nai1  In many countries costs can be claimed as an expense and against the taxes you will pay for your business.

Wow, what a great invention! If I ever achieve my goal of obtaining properties to host in the future,  I would definitely invest in this! Or when my daughter is old enough to throw parties when her dad and I go for a weekend getaway or a full blown vacation. Its such a simple concept but absolutely brilliant 👏  great advice!

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I would l8ke to have a no IB but request to book setting for people inside a 15 km radius of my place. 

To be fair, most locals explain why they book in their message. But the others can be stressful, even without a party. 

@Nai1, you should move the suggestion to Host Voice, another of the boards. You can proposme changes there. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I think this is one where the solution needs to be focused on the problem (too many guest) rather than the possible culprit (local guest). 

1. I often have guest profiles where they say guest is from x but really they’ve moved to y. 

2. Reserving guest is from somewhere else but “hey, I’m in your town old buddies, come see me at this cool abb. 

3. Guest isn’t local but merely wants to pay for 2 and lodge 10. 

I could go on and on. 

The real answer is an actual actual penalty for guests who exceed their guest count. Immediately removal & no refund, a fine amount (double my normal extra guest fee, etc), an auto post to their profile: this guest violated the terms of their reservation and no ability to review the host. 

This is bad behavior and a locals ban doesn’t solve it. BUT ABB could solve this. IF they wanted to. 

local guests are the worst. they always neglect house rules (for example smoke in toilet when apartment is non smoker).

Plus if my policy is tourists only, I should be able to enforce it by hidjng my listing from local guests. That option should be not mandatory but optional, so if I  strongly against local guests then I should be able to avoid them.