Who would you love to host?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Who would you love to host?

I have recently had a reservation request (unfortunately not through Airbnb) for a fairly high profile Australian who needs to be in this area for a specific event.

This request got me thinking.......

Given the opportunity, who, on this planet would you most like to host....and why?

I will get the ball rolling by saying, mine would be Scott Neeson!

Scott with his parents emigrated from Scotland to Australia when he was 5. They moved here to South Australia and settled into an Adelaide suburb about 30 minutes away from where I live.

After his poor attempt at schooling he joined the Clifford Theatres movies circuit delivering  movie reals to the various Clifford theatres around town. He rose up the ranks of the movie industry here in Australia to the point where he became the head of Twentieth Century Fox distribution in Australia in 1986. He was lured to Twentieth Century Fox in the US and moved there in 1993 as Vice President of marketing and eventually rose to become the President of Twentieth Century Fox.

In 2003 he was head-hunted to become the president of Sony Entertainment and between switching roles he took a vacation to Phnom Penh in Cambodia.

As part of his travels he happened to end up in the city's tip and was struck by the hundreds of children as young as 4 scavenging for anything they could find to keep their famlilies alive.

He left Cambodia and took up his role with Sony but was continually haunted by thoughts of those kids on that tip in Phnom Penh, so after 3 months he sold up everything he had in LA, moved to Cambodia and set up the Cambodia Childrens Fund which now educates over 2,000 children and cares for 20,000 families.

Who does that........ turns down the most powerful position in global entertainment and donates themselves and their lives to the underpriviledged.

If I had that one opportunity, I would love to sit down with Scott and find out what makes such a great human being!

Cheers......Rob

38 Replies 38

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Hey Branka, I am one of those minnows from the land of the forgettable!

I thank you for the compliment but there must be that one person in your life that stood out and made you feel.....God I would love a few hours with that person to myself!

I thought about Marylin Monroe during the last few days of her life, I would love to have tried to read her mind.

I thought about Charmaine Biggs, the wife of Great Train robber Ronald Biggs and how she coped with her world crashing around her when her husband ended up in the arms of a lover in Argentina and how she handled all the notoriety.

I truly believe Branka, we each have that desire that we take to the grave with us that we would love to have had the chance to explore.....and desires generally involve....people!

Cheers.....Rob

@Branka & Silvia @Sandra @Lizzie  @Ann72  @Stephanie  @Ben

Branka, the object of any good dinner party is to be able to tell a good story....a story that just splits the group up with hysteria. I have about half a dozen that I am proud of....all of them (of course) need to be told in person to get the full impact because, it is the delivery which creates the laughs. But here is a written idea of what I am talking about!

Oh @Sandra you're going to relate to this!!

"These two old agony aunts (Penelope and Priscilla) had lived there lives together and had become so incredibly set in their ways....they had become.... eccentric!.....you can possibly see where I am going, hey?

Penelope and Priscilla  decided to do a  road trip into the outback of South Australia, packed the car up and away they went and, the first afternoon they arrived at a small town in the southern Flinders Ranges called 'Quorn' ....go on you lot, google maps it if you must, I don't want you to think I am bullsh*ting here!

They pulled into the main street, and in front of them, there was 'The Transcontinental hotel'! Out the front of the Transcontinental was a sandwich board that said.....'Accommodation'! As it was about 4 in the afternoon they thought this may be as good a spot as any to stay the night so they booked a room!

Now the Transcontinental is a typical Aussie country pub with a front bar, a 'saloon bar' for the ladies, a dining room, a bottle department and a generous toilet block on the ground floor. There is also a foyer area with a staircase that looks like it belongs in a southern US mansion which leads to the first floor which has maybe 10 bedrooms with an ablution area (communal bathroom) at the end of the corridor......do you get my drift!

Penelope and Priscilla booked and went into the Saloon bar and ordered a 'Hock, Lime and lemon' or two to keep them in fine fettle until it was time for dinner!

The Transcontinental also had another guest that night. It was a 'Peter Piper' who was down in South Oz from Queensland selling his range of nuts to the hotel circuit.

Time came for dinner the three inhabitants of the dining room were, Penelope, Priscilla and Peter Piper....you surely know where I am going now, don't you!!!

They decided to have dinner together, nice entertaining night and as it drew to a close Peter Piper made a dash for the staircase. He didn't want to get stuck behind these two old dears as they took hours in the bathroom! He dashed into his bedroom, grabbed his night attire and galloped into the bathroom and showered himself. 

As he finished his shower he suddenly realised he had left his towel behind in the bedroom, shock, horror! He looked around and there in the corner of the bathroom was a roll of pink butchers paper....the sort of stuff they use to put on tressle tables at a wedding reception....are you still with me??

Peter Piper pulled a generous amount of the butchers paper off the roll and wrapped it around himself hoping to make a quick un-noticed dash from the bathroom back to the bedroom!

No such luck......in the middle of the hallway he passed Penelope and Priscilla and they exchanged....glances!

Reaching the bathroom, Priscilla sat herself on the toilet and Penelope stood in front of the mirror and did what women do in front of a mirror and suddenly said.....

"Priscilla, did you Percieve Peter Piper, the Perveyor of Peanuts from Prossepine Prancing down the Passage with his P*nis Protruding through a Piece of Pink Paper!!!!

Priscilla replied....

Oh Penelope, the Prospect of Peeping at Peter Pipers Pecker Protruding through that Piece of Pink Paper made my Pus*y Pucker and I couldn't Pee!!!

This one has then in stiches every time!!!

Cheers......Rob

I can't believe the sanitizer took out my, affectionate term for....cat!

Gee whiz this place is sure cobbled with trivialities!!

Cheers.....Rob

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

So, this fantasy guest can be living or dead? Yikes, that makes it hard to narrow it down! I was keeping it "possible in theory" sense and going with Michelle Obama & sorry Barak but with the Secret Sevice guys in the second room there's no room for you.

I'd be happy to host Ms. Adern and we do have a good space for a baby so that is possible, in an utterly unlikely sort of way. The lovely Alexandria Ocasio Cortez the youngest person in our congress, it would be an honor. Jane Goodall! I almost got to see her lecture but alas, she had to cancel .

Oscar Wilde? He would have to promise to be tidy but I love what an artistic polymath he was. Stephen Fry is pretty fabulous too, would he be willing to share a bathroom with John Oliver?

Noel Coward & David Bowie? Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington & Tchaikovsky and Billy Strayhorn? Terry Pratchett and Ursula Leguin and Karin Von Blixen aka Isak Dinesen? OOh ! Frida Kahlo and Georgia Okeefe and Elizabeth the first and Alexander Hamilton: politics and art striking sparks?  Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King, I'd do nothing but listen. I'd love to host the young Michael Jackson and let him go play pick up basketball with the other kids and spend a whole week being insanely talented but living normal. Our current president as a toddler, I'd model self regulation andun conditional love and respect for others and let him have a pet. By age 6-7 he'd be a reasonable human being, that's a long term stay but what a difference it could make! Sally

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

I would love to host 2 of my favorite writers, Jean Auel- Earth Children series aka Clan of the Cave Bear books 😉 and Deborah Harkness - A Discovery of Witches trilogy.  And I would love to add Anne McCaffrey to that if she were still alive. 

I'd like to host Brian Chesky. I would pick him up from the airport with my small, grey, dented hatchback, disguised as a Ferrari. The next morning I think we’d take a streetcar because the streetcars go slowly, like the great old records on the turntable. I’d show him a Milan most people will never see.

I’m sure he would like to extend his stay here, but, meek and immovable like an AIRBNB’s case manager, I’ll say: "I'm sorry, Brian, I’m booked into the next week. A new guest will soon come in, a certain Mark Zuckerberg”.

I would like him to come here for a reason. Sometimes the rules of friendship impose to say inconvenient truths.

"It’s OK if I call you Brian? Although we don't know each other, I managed some of my father's houses, working for you for seven or eight years, I can’t remember, and all my most cherished memories are still on your server, even if my father's profile is no longer active.

I followed your orders, I followed your rituals, I responded at once to individual requests, I opened doors, washed sheets for your $ 30 billion company and you didn’t even drop me a line once, I say once.      

Just to say hello, I am one of the richest men in the world partly because of you, Emily. You helped make that happen, so thank you, say hello to your father and keep it up, please.

But you never did. For all these years I've worked for you like a dog, not a word to say hello, not a line to thank me for the close cooperation, not even a glance. Nothing.

You didn't drop me a line. Look, Brian, I didn’t expect you to do this. It was fine if Mr. Algorithm did it for you. Well, that would be enough for me.

Look, Brian, I really respect you – I guess that’s something you don’t care about – I admire you, I was saying, for hundreds of reasons, but above all because I was gripped by your dream. You set my life on fire, you moved it and changed it. Fires spread passions and it’s nice to see someone’s passion be rewarded.

But when your company took its first steps into adulthood, the original essence of hosting has been largely replaced by a neurotic business that has sucked up all that magic from the traveler spell.

Turns out I was trapped on a single path prepared by a mathematical model. I had to do what an algorithm asked and didn’t give a **bleep** about me. I don’t like hosting generated by an algorithm.

You turned me into a precarious worker (the Superhost medal only lasts for three months),  with a low level of job security (if I receive few bookings or bad reviews, you close my account), and few rights (the guest is always right, and if he’s not right, never mind, it’s always the host that pays).

High risk, low pay and seriously messy. You just keep me alive, but with very high productivity ratios (4.8 + 50% reviews) and with the obligation to provide you the same means of production! (a few years ago a 20-dollar airbed on the hardwood floor, today a house, tomorrow an elite hotel).

You see, dear Brian, I think it was my contribution, combined with the contribution from Robin, Sarah, Branka, Ben, Jessica & Henry, Cormac, Paul and every other segment of the world organized by your algorithm, that made it possible to make your dream come true. Our job is the reason you are invited to speak at conferences as one of the most wealthy men on Earth.

That, my friend, should make you bow to them in front of you to give full respect, you should thank them more often, and not humiliate them because they do not comply with  your new “guidelines”.

Don’t make fun of them with those unreasonable changes cunningly masquerading as improvements. You should recognize the importance of their good work. The important thing is to make them important because they deserve it. There are so many fragile things everywhere, people break so easily, and so do dreams and earthly passions”.

That is clear, dear Brian, I know there‘s so little chance of you reading these lines, but you know what scares me the most? Okay, all right, you'll never come to my house, I know, but just in case you have the urge for a trip in Milan, well, dear Brian, just know that you’ve got always a bed in my place. If that happens, then my joy would actually be perfect.

Your friend forever

Emily

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Emily352 

My problem is my age Emily..... I have had 75 years on this earth and I don't have time for platitudes any more!

I need to host people who are going to come to me from their soul, not their wallet.

Dr Richard Harris, that guy who saved those Thai kids from that water filled cave last year....that is the sort of person I want to host! Someone who inspires me, not someone  who belittles me!

Nah, I would leave Uncle Brian at the airport I am afraid!

Cheers.....Rob

Nathan233
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

@Robin4 

I second, or was it third (?) on David Attenborough.

Also, Bernie Sanders, Justin Trudeau and you wouldn't leave Jacinda Ardern on the curb in that case.

Oh, and Jarvis Cocker. He can sleep in bed with me and my husband can move to the Airbnb room.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nathan233 

Wow Anne, you are showing a bit of flesh here!

Only Jarvis Cocker could get away with "**** are still running the world"!! He's right but to put it out there like that.....wow!

I really loved that (unofficial)  Slush....not much of a song but, a great bit of video editing!

Bernie who..........

You have to appreciate, I grew up in the era of Pierre Trudeau....the substance always seems better than the shadow!

I could be convinced though, let me know when you achieve it!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4 Haha oops, I see my husband has changed his name back to just Nathan instead of Nathan & Anne. 

Jarvis Cocker has been my hero since his early Pulp days. I love his lyrics, the common people look and awkward dance moves. Wanted to marry him but instead married my, also lovely, Nathan. Doubt Jarvis will ever show up in our humble Airbnb but a girl can dream;)

Was not familiar with Pierre Trudeaux and to be frank didn't even know that Justin was his son! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Bernie Sanders is currently running as a Democratic candidate in the States. Similar policies to Justin Trudeaux, seems like it would make for a good dinner party!