Why I Take Issue With Airbnb's Policies Around 'Emotional Support' Animals...

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Why I Take Issue With Airbnb's Policies Around 'Emotional Support' Animals...

I have an issue with Airbnb's policy declaring that an emotional support animal is to be treated the same as an ADA-protected animal, because as a licensed psychotherapist, I am aware that many people are able to easily convince a licensed mental health professional that they 'need' their pet to be documented / authorized as an 'emotional support animal' but the true intent is that they wish to travel anywhere with the animal and not be challenged on it. I know this first hand, as I am a licensed therapist. I have refused more than once such requests (even from a few friends and acquaintances who were not clients!) because they were not justified and it would be unethical for me to agree to such a request - but some therapists are not so diligent. Also, it is my understanding that the ADA does not recognize or protect under the law 'emotional support animals' . Here are the two 'policies' (Airbnb policy and ADA federal law):

Airbnb's Policies: "Emotional Support Animal: Airbnb defines assistance animals to include Emotional Support Animals. These are animals that are used as part of medical treatment and/or therapy to assist with an individual’s daily functional tasks, but are not limited to a specific type of animal and are not required to be trained to assist an individual in a particular task. These animals are sometimes referred to as comfort animals or therapy animals."

And this is from the ADA: 

"If you're an individual with an emotional or psychological disability- emotional support animals can be an excellent companion. While emotional support animalsare used as part of some medical treatment plans, they are not considered service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).Nov 11, 2016"

I therefore am concerned that Airbnb has it's own policy around this and has included emotional support animals in it's anti-discrimatory categories, even though the ADA does not. It would seem to put the host in an unfair position. I have seen some cavalier responses on other forums to hosts asking about this issue, such as, "So if the animal destroys something just take photos and collect money for it from the guest and kick them out", etc. Well, if you are booked pretty much full-time year-round like we are, with same day turnover, finding that a guest's supposed "support" animal has destroyed something in your rental a few hours before the next guest checks in, or having a guest checking in who understood your property to be a pet-free zone and they chose it in part for this reason due to allergies, etc, can put undue hardship on both the host and the guest that follows the support animal's 'visit'. I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on this. It irks me, frankly, that Airbnb is seemingly not aligning it's policies with ADA definitions and laws. Your thoughts? By the way, please do not assume I do not enjoy animals. I in fact originally had my Cottage listed as pet-friendly, but my two large dogs and the guest dogs engaged in barking and territorial behavior despite a wall separating them and despite all dogs being relatively well behaved. The guest dogs tend to mark their 'new' territory in such cases, so this was an issue as well. As a therapist, I specialize in animal assisted therapy (horses and dogs). So this is not about my not wanting animals on my property. It is about hosts being put in an unfair position unnecessarily, given federal laws do not recognize emotional support animals as a protected animal but Airbnb does, as well as the fact that in some cases the 'emotional support' animal title and privilege is being misused / abused by both clients and licensed mental health professionals at times. Therapists whose incomes depend on accommodating their clients sometimes have trouble saying "No - that would not be ethical", particularly when they are new to the field and trying to build a clientele. There is also the matter of our not being allowed to have guests sign animal addendums or waivers, nor can we collect extra fees. In my dog addendum guests had to agree to de-flea dogs before visiting the Cottage and to pay for de-fleaing if I had to fumigate after their stay - which also would result in possible loss of income for me if guests following could not be accommodated by me.
128 Replies 128
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I just responded to a similar post in "Help" section.

@Sarah977 I'd love to see it, are you able to copy and paste it here? I also added a few more sentences to my OP regarding the fact that I myself specialize in animal-assisted therapy so it is not about me not liking animals or believing in their role as legitimate support animals in many cases. My focus here is on Airbnb's policies differing from federal law, placing an unfair burden on the host (in my opinion and experience). 

@Sarah0 Here is my humor forum suggestion, please go and thumbs up it if you have the time!

One of the people commenting here suggested we start a Humor forum so I just suggested this in Host Voice. If you'd like to 'thumbs up' it to help get this idea off the ground, please visit: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Add-A-Host-Humor-Discussion-Room-To-The-Airbnb-Commun...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

This is what I posted on other thread (that other thread in Help is quite long, check it out) :

I read somewhere about a woman who traveled with 2 dogs- claiming the 2nd dog was "emotional support" for the first dog.

While I am sure there are some legitimate emotional support dogs, like for someone suffering from PTSS, it had become mainly a scam for people who want to be able to enter anywhere with their dogs.

So yes, Rebecca, I totally agree with you on this.

I will look for your answer on the other thread. Thanks, and yes, sadly, I can tell you as a licensed therapist that in some cases it is a scam. I have turned down quite a few people who just wanted to be able to go anywhere and stay anywhere with their best friend Fido or Fidette. 

@Sarah977 that story is hilarious!

Host: You have two dogs... 

Guest: The yellow labrador is an emotional support dog for the terrier.

Host: And the terrier?

Guest: The terrier is an emotional support dog for the yellow lab.

Host: ...

@Matthew0 Please consider thumbs upping my suggestion in Host Voice for a humor forum: 

One of the people commenting here suggested we start a Humor forum so I just suggested this in Host Voice. If you'd like to 'thumbs up' it to help get this idea off the ground, please visit: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Add-A-Host-Humor-Discussion-Room-To-The-Airbnb-Commun...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I also have a dog- a large alpha female. While she is totally gentle with people, she will jump another female dog who tries to enter my property. So if any guest insisted on bringing their "emotional support" female dog, this policy would be a disaster for me.

@Sarah977 I am trying to find your answer on that other thread in the 'Help' section. Do you remember the title of the Original Post?

I copied and pasted it above.

@Sarah977 Ah, I see it now, was looking for quotes, my bad. 

hehe @Sarah977 don't worry, your alpha dog would resolve that problem for you 😄

@Rebecca181 I have a dog, love dogs, but totally agree with you 🙂 We also do not host dogs any more, it's just to risky

@Branka0 and Silva: As promised: 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I could just imagine showing up at a host's place and contending that 'Rango', the 4-foot long, ugly iguana on my shoulder (see below) is really my 'support' animal and must be allowed accomodation also.

( https://www.google.com.bz/search?q=male+iguana&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiozP...: )

Sometimes I get the impression Airbnb is kind of a child-like company, subject to whimsical silly agendas to accomodate even aliens.