Why Location is important.

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Why Location is important.

I know there are hundreds of threads on this topic and I have posted many times. But as I seem to take a different view to many of my fellow hosts (and I enjoy the banter– please be gentle!). Let me explain why in my humble opinion location is important and why we are missing the point.

I should also declare. Location is probably my properties best asset and I do not want to lose the high rating.

We are guilty as hosts,  of not looking at location from the guest perspective. As a traveller disappointed on numerous occasions by  locations not  meeting expectations,  it is not what is shown, it is what is not shown.  It is the subjective issues like neighbourhood, community, convenience, peacefulness, accuracy,  ambiance, desirability, connectivity and access etc.   And we all make those value judgments (based on price) differently, instantly and automatically.  

So my argument goes. Guests mostly base the location rating not on the map location (which is clear to see) or description; but the gut feel, softer issues listed above and this is very useful  information for fellow traveller.   

53 Replies 53

@Steven65  The issue you describe is one of accuracy, e.g. the listing is deceptive about the location by presenting a false image. 

We are constantly downgraded on location, despite having travel time to/from NYC in the first 3 sentences and having an entire sub section covering the location  and the various options for getting to NYC from our listing, as well as telling every single guest to review the entire listing and the location details. so other than moving my house to a different area, there is nothing more I can do, which is why the location rating is inherently unfair to hosts.

Steven65
Level 10

@Mark116 If the property is described as clean and has clean photos but is dirty. Should I ding accuracy or cleanliness? All categories have accuracy elements and Location is too important to ignore. 

@Steven65 I would ding cleanliness.  But we can agree to disagree on the location and whether or not it's fair to hosts.

@Steven65  Hosts are encouraged NOT to post photos of the exterior of the home- it's a security issue.

Location RATING does not  warn travelers to issues, because other guests don't know what those issues are. Writing about location issues is informative, stars are not. 

In spite of all the responses here, you really still don't seem to understand that most hosts' experience with the location rating is that guests downgrade a location because of their own failure to read the information or ask appropriate questions, or decide to book a place in spite of what the host clearly and accurately describes. It's not that the host hasn't disclosed important points that guests should be aware of.

Maybe you've just had the bad luck to book places with inaccurate descriptions. Good hosts try to be as accurate as possible and disclose anything they think a guest might be likely to complain about so that they don't get bad reviews.

“I have to say that if a guest chooses a place a places in a bad neighborhood, that is their own fault” or “it’s also a fact.....” Are you joking? 

We we both live Stateside. You and I both know there are NUMEROUS locals/neighborhoods throughout the States where you can be on one street which might reflect something out of a scene in Hamburger Hill and around the corner a $600.00 per night hotel. So how would a map disclose to me the vagrants, the pushers, the discarded needles? And no, I’m not joking. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Steven65, occasionally I am dinged on location because Daylesford has hills. So I stress it in the listing for those planning to walk. My soaring views and summer breezes depend on that hill. Yet, my location is outstanding: only 5 minutes to walk to the main street (15 home because of the hill), right next to the Botanic Gardens and in it, the best cafe in the village, absolute top location real estate-wise, extremely quiet (which the main street isn't). They can see clearly on the map where it is, and I had more location complaints until I started stressing the hill. But I still get them.

So, this is unwinnable. Down the main street, guests realise it can be noisy. Further away from me it isn't walkable, perhaps, but might be more rural. There is NO WAY you can please everyone. Maybe if we had to describe the location, and then get rated on accuracy on that description? So if I describe my location as it is, and it turns out I am down on the lowlands, I am then likely to be dinged for inaccuracy.

Steven65
Level 10

@Sandra126 I support better definition and guidance to guests. I don’t support removing the location rating when it is one of the most important factors I look at. 

Justine106
Level 3
Washington, DC

I would’ve liked to have known that a partially boarded up (no doubt from gun shots) beer/wine/liquer store w/vagrants lollygagging around in front was a stones throw across the road from a property that I rented, but subsequently refused to check into. Not to mention the chain linked fence home across the road w/the weekly washing elegantly thrown across. Those that thought this was a 5 star property w/their overzealous reviews have no clue to what stds. drive a true 5 star rating!!!

Steven65
Level 10

@Justine106 Exactly. Travellers need good location guidance too, so let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water!