Why The Guest / Host Relationship Transcends Airbnb's Increasingly Hostless Vision

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Why The Guest / Host Relationship Transcends Airbnb's Increasingly Hostless Vision

THIS is why we traditional home-sharing hosts still matter. 

Here's a photo of the 'Thank You' card we received today from our first Airbnb guests in 9 months (I shut my Airbnb listing down last October after a two year sold-out run to take a break from the platform's ever-changing, chaotic policies that are increasingly guest-centric, at the expense of us home-sharing hosts). 

I believe there's still a place on the platform for hosts who share their personal homes. It would be great to see Airbnb nurture that space for the benefit of ALL (guests included), versus treating us traditional hosts as an after-thought while they focus on promoting Airbnb Plus, Luxe, Experiences, Beyond, 'Infinity'-whatever, etc. 

There's lots of ways that Airbnb could show us that they still value us and want us on the platform. For example, they could fix the faulty review system as we have been pleading with them to do for seemingly years and years. Or create a dedicated landing site on the platform that connects travelers with home-sharing hosts for those seeking a traditional Airbnb experience (e.g, create a category 'Home Stays' which are properties with hosts on site). Or promote various Super Hosts monthly at the top of the Airbnb home page. There's so much that Airbnb could do - If they wanted to. 

How about it, Airbnb?

Why I Love Being A Home-Sharing HostWhy I Love Being A Home-Sharing Host

48 Replies 48

@Suzanne302  ".I arrived home and the guy was in the driveway unloading a cooler. I said greeted him and asked if they settle in okay and he responds, "Hi! Everything is great! Would you like a beer?" Love these guests!"

You know what's really sad? That this even bears mentioning. In my world, this is how normal, decent people behave. I always shake my head in disbelief at the posts I read here from home-share hosts who post about guests who book a room in someone's home, yet seem to want nothing to do with the host and give the distinct vibe of just wanting the host to f**k off. I've had guests who were really private and seemed to want to squirrel themselves away and not be particularly sociable, which is fine, but they were still friendly and civil. 

Even if a guest is tired and just wants to shower and relax, a nice, friendly, decent person says "Hey, great to meet you. Happy to be here and the place looks great. Hope you don't mind, but we had a long trip, so we need to get showered and relax a bit, but hey, we'd love it if you'd like to share a beer wth us in a couple hours."

@Rebecca181 So sweet! Thanks for sharing. LOVE the idea of a homestay filter.

"Private room" is a good start but does not include other types of accommodations OR highlight the specialness of sharing space and conversation with hosts. I was looking for a 2 bedroom place the other day (traveling with a teen who craves a bit of privacy when he can get it) and got so frustrated I gave up! I was wishing so much for a "hosts with 1 property" filter.

Every single spot I clicked on (in the vicinity of a wedding venue) in the southern city I was searching had a property management company listed as the host. One even said in the bio something like "we have too many properties to respond to questions the same day, so please be patient." In our experience, individuals hosts are responsive and trustworthy, making for an awesome experience. 

We love airbnb, but sadly, to be on the safe side, we booked a hotel:(

@Laura-and-Jesse0   "we have too many properties to respond to questions the same day, so please be patient."

THAT is ridiculous!

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Laura-and-Jesse0 You provide a great (but sad) example of how Airbnb is losing business due to not having a separate category for shared home hosts. If they are going to keep us on the platform, then why not support us, feature us, and market us, just as they do with 'Experiences', etc? Still perplexed by that one.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Nice thread, @Rebecca181 . I just had guests in my house (not the treehouse) who have a long string of reviews. They were relieved, they said, to find a traditional Airbnb, with hosts who don't mind a conversation over coffee. Their last few were offsite or corporate hosts.

Anyway, on a "Florence" topic, I had guests early this summer for the treehouse who told me upon arrival that they were keen to try out the dune buggies at the "sand dunes of Florence". When I appeared confused, they assured me they had googled it. 

You know the rest of the story. Turns out it was Florence, Oregon, USA, not Florence, Ontario, Canada. Only a couple of thousand miles off. As a good traditional host, I found them something else, less exciting of course, to do. 🙂

@Lawrene0  HA! That's a good one! I have Sand dune buggy riding rental just a mile or so from my property - Next time send them over here - And thanks for the good laugh!!

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Great thread! I hope it is seen by the Airbnb gods and they pay attention. Homeshare hosts are being marginalized and pushed out by many of these changes. It is more challenging every day to cross the moving goal line. Because I don't have a private bathroom I don't qualify for a "business" stay. Heck, there isn't a private bathroom for the master bedroom. 

But, as this thread starts out, every now-and-again you get a nice thank you from your guests. 

19424122_787668718076303_7182850450705198121_n (1).jpg

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

So true! We feel lucky that after over 120 Airbnb guests there are only a few we would not want back ( we can count these on one hand). 

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

@Robin129 @Rebecca181 Aaaaaw such a sweet note

I like to see people enjoy their stay at my place because of this particular reason.

Most guests I had so far are very apriciative. A few of them I still have contact with. 

Giving guests the space they need and just letting things be, makes everyone at ease

(I don't break my head over a missing teaspoon or when they keep the lights on in the bathroom). 

The thing is to always start with a blank canvas when guests enter your home no matter what their appearance look like.

you'll be surprised how much good is still in this world. 

Happy hosting!

Kira♡

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Beautifully said, @Kira32. I had a guest even send me a painting of my horse a few months after she checked out, she was moved by our story. I will cherish this painting (and this gesture) from her always. And this was from just a one night stay!

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

@Rebecca181  That's such a beautiful gesture! It really doesn't matter how long they stay. When people are intrigued/impressed or feel very welcome  it will stay imprinted in their minds.

Years ago I stayed somewhere and the host was so lovely. Me and my sister are still talking about him ever since. 

Kira♡

Indeed @Kira32 - Imprinted on our minds...and hearts.

Mrs-Mac0
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

I too am an "at home" host.  Guests even have to share my bathroom.  But as long as they know that they are welcome to share my home which is what it is all about.  I started in 2013, and have never had a guest who made me cross (expect their particular personality!!), never wrecked the room, never complained to me about breakfast - although once a guest left feed back to say breakfast was disappointing!  But one in all those years is nothing.  I love doing this, and certainly don't do it for the money - just love to have people from all over the world arrive at the door.  But I cannot offer the room to a wheelchair user;  I do not have an exotic home, I do not offer special experiences.  It is just a come and stay with me home.  But still they come!  Some come back, too!

But I do agree with others that a"this guest is at home" button/feature, would be a good thing.

@Mrs-Mac0 Your cottage is lovely - And I am sure your hospitality is as well. Yet another wonderful example of the value shared home hosts offer. I can see why your guests keep coming back!

Mrs-Mac0
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

See above - last line should read "this HOST is at home" .... sorry, typing too fast!