Why The Guest / Host Relationship Transcends Airbnb's Increasingly Hostless Vision

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Why The Guest / Host Relationship Transcends Airbnb's Increasingly Hostless Vision

THIS is why we traditional home-sharing hosts still matter. 

Here's a photo of the 'Thank You' card we received today from our first Airbnb guests in 9 months (I shut my Airbnb listing down last October after a two year sold-out run to take a break from the platform's ever-changing, chaotic policies that are increasingly guest-centric, at the expense of us home-sharing hosts). 

I believe there's still a place on the platform for hosts who share their personal homes. It would be great to see Airbnb nurture that space for the benefit of ALL (guests included), versus treating us traditional hosts as an after-thought while they focus on promoting Airbnb Plus, Luxe, Experiences, Beyond, 'Infinity'-whatever, etc. 

There's lots of ways that Airbnb could show us that they still value us and want us on the platform. For example, they could fix the faulty review system as we have been pleading with them to do for seemingly years and years. Or create a dedicated landing site on the platform that connects travelers with home-sharing hosts for those seeking a traditional Airbnb experience (e.g, create a category 'Home Stays' which are properties with hosts on site). Or promote various Super Hosts monthly at the top of the Airbnb home page. There's so much that Airbnb could do - If they wanted to. 

How about it, Airbnb?

Why I Love Being A Home-Sharing HostWhy I Love Being A Home-Sharing Host

48 Replies 48

Understood. Yep, this is a dashboard thing. Airbnb wants me to change my cover photo because apparently their algorithms can't 'grok' my lovely sunroom, red tea cart, turquoise teapot, and view of patio with firepit.

Their loss.

@Rebecca181  The algorithm is probably set to mark down any photo which isn't at least 75% white or grey 🙂

@Sarah977 Oh yes, that's right!!! (Silly me, what was I thinking???_

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

Mine is a breath taking sunrise full of pinks and purples and watery bay mirror.  All of my guests say it made my listing stand out from the rest : )

The "suggestion" remains, and I continue to ignore it along with the admonishing me that I should be using "smart pricing" and "instant book" to make more money lol, when I was at 99% capacity!