Why am I dinged by other Superhosts?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

Why am I dinged by other Superhosts?

EVERY time I accept a booking by another Superhost, I am dinged in areas that other guests give me 5 stars for, and NEVER with an email or text to explain or a review comment to "learn" from.  

My most recent Superhost guest apparently did not care for my contact-less arrival.  She also dinged me for communication -- odd, because I answered every question  she sent via the platform to the best of my ability.   We did not meet or converse during her stay, and she did not provide any comments as to what she disliked or had difficulty with other than the star rating (3).  Looking at her premium, super modern and expensive properties, I am surprised that she would even rent my little shabby-chic 1930's cabin -- 

Just saying.

9 Replies 9
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Lorna170 I would message and ask for an explanation. I think Airbnb should adjust the review process so that when less than 5 is selected, a text box pops up. Guest can’t proceed to the next step without supplying reason. I rarely receive useful feedback, but I think the guest should have to provide their thoughts anyway. 

I’ve only hosted one other (Super)host. She was a lovely person, my first guest, and gave me my first review (a good one all around). 

@Colleen253   Yeah, I messaged, and now I have my mad on.

Because we are in the mountains with terrible phone service, guests are told to print out the map and access codes.  Well, she didn't.

Wfi password?  Posted in six different places inside a 4 room cabin.  Oh, I neglected to post it in the bathroom.  My bad.

She asked about tourist things that I know nothing about, so I pointed her to local, excellent traveler resources.  She didn't like that.

Because she was having such a good time, SHE could not be bothered to COMMUNICATE with ME!  As a result, I got poor star ratings.  Yeah, I (insert swearing here) would love to communicate further with her.  May she be blessed with similarly lousy guests.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Lorna170 

I would suggest that what most offended her was your perfect 5* record.

So she fixed that for you.

By not posting comments she didn’t allow you the opportunity to refute them. Clever.

I hope you rated her “would not host again.”

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lorna170  I've hosted 4 or 5 other hosts- can't recall if  they were  Superhosts or not, but they all left full 5* reviews. However, they all were small-time home-share hosts like me. So maybe having similar listings is a big factor. 

But of course the main factor is whether they are good people or jerks 🙂

@Lorna170    I've never found that hosts (Super or otherwise) are any likelier to be great guests than anyone else. 

This particular one...well, everything about her profile and listing reminded me a lot of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHotXbGZiFY&ab_channel=boburnham

@Anonymous  Hard to breathe, I’m laughing so much.  Spot on. You have a special gift…..

@Anonymous  Hilarious. How have I never heard of this guy before? You post the best links.

@Anonymous  omg he nails it! 'Some random quote from Lord of the Rings, incorrectly attributed to Martin Luther King'. I'll definitely be checking out some of his other stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Lorna170, it's a reasonably well-known phenomenon that other hosts make the worst guests. My worst (i.e. most unreasonable and demanding and needy) guest ever (who also gave me the lowest rating I've ever received) and my creepiest guest (after whom I had my locks changed) were both superhosts. No idea what's going on there. I've also had hosts stay who've been wonderful, so it's definitely not a given. But I have to say that when another host books, it's maybe not a red flag, but definitely a pink one!