Why are check-in times not required during booking??

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

Why are check-in times not required during booking??

We host in Italy and have new guests every 24 hours.  Even though we have a check-in time at 2 pm, almost 95% of guests do not honor that.  We have no problem with making ourselves available for later check-ins, but I am literally hunting these people down EVERY SINGLE DAY.  It's becoming a full-time job just to get these people to communicate with me their check-in times.  I have a life.  I cannot sit around the house for 10 hours a day waiting for people to show up.  Why hasn't Airbnb required a specific check-in drop down when booking?  WHY?  This is such an easy feature to add.  You have to add the names of the guests, then choose a 60 minute check-in window as well.  Why can't airbnb just make things easier on hosts by requiring a check-in window which is a 60 minute window between the times the host allows the guest to check in?  I spoke with Airbnb once and they told me that if I have a check-in window from 2 pm until whenever, that I literally need to be home from 2 pm to whenever.  That should NOT be the rule at all.  You're putting way too much strain on a host by requiring they spend 70% of their week waiting for guests to show up when the situation could easily be resolved by adding a feature that says "Check in time is from 2pm-midnight.  Please select a 60 minute window that you'll be checking in during those times.  If you are running late, please be sure to communicate with your host."

4 Replies 4
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Hello @Lisa367,

My guess is that people do not know their travel plans that specifically at the time of booking.  Either they don't have flight tickets yet, or if they are driving, do not know exact schedules too far ahead.  

I have seen an option on the booking settings for a check in window.  I have also seen the window listed under people's house rules (check in between 3:00 and 6:00, eg).  

What I have found works best is messaging the guest two days prior to arrival.  I remind that check in is anytime after 3:00, and that I am quite flexible, but that it would be very helpful to have a two hour window of time.  If, for example, the flight doesn't arrive until 8:30, that would be great to know.  Usually people want to be helpful.

It does happen, sometimes, unexpected things happen (twice I have had major delays with people driving from Canada) that can't be helped, but your best chance is to ask..

Like @Hilary-And-Ed0 suggests, I think it would be okay for you to send a message 2~3 days prior to arrival asking about expected check-in time. In case of guests arriving by plane, you could ask for their flight no. so that you could check to make sure the guest's flight will be arriving as scheduled. (This is what I tend to do.) 

Kristine37
Level 2
Dorchester, IA

Hello, Lisa,

I hear you re: the need for a hands-off solution, especially for frequent turn-over. One-night stays are my bread-and-butter, too, and check-in/out is their biggest challenge.

In general, I think guests just expect the freedom to arrive on their own schedule, especially if the property is in a scenic/highly sought-after destination where the average traveler is on holiday, and therefore off-the-clock.

If meeting guests is a priority but the timing is too big a hassle, you could install a lockbox for keys or app-based keyless entry system, then drop by sometime after they check themselves in to introduce yourself.

I've done this, using a simple lockbox for keys near the front door of my private home, since I began hosting and have had no problems, aside from a few misplaced keys (and for this, I have spares hidden on the property or with neighbors -- I provide details only if guests need them).

(Also, I read up on keyless entry systems from time to time and will likely try one in the coming year. I think digital keycode pads just look better and respond more elegantly than the old-school push-button lockboxes.)

I make a point of communicating check-in/keycode information with guests via text two days before their arrival, so they have time to respond with questions before they're actually on the road. If they're staying more than one night, I connect with them the evening of arrival to ensure everything appears as expected.

If they're staying overnight only, I make sure to reach out by text by 8am the next morning, wishing them safe travels and welcoming any feedback they might have to improve the house or listing. As mentioned elsewhere in the Community pages, this helps intercept negative feedback before it contributes to a review that will impact your host rating.

Hope this was helpful.

I welcome any recommendations on keyless lock/app systems and related guest expectations!

Thanks much.

Kristine ***

Decorah, Iowa

**[Link hidden - To view profile, hover over profile image on post and click 'View Profile']

Yeah, I can't do a locked box.  We live here.  So I'd want to make sure to show them the house, what they can/cant eat, where they can/cant go.  Things that are off limits.  I don't want them showing up thinking they have free reign.  I do email them one week prior, then 3 days prior, 2 days, and then the day before.  The good ones reply quickly, but many don't reply to my 3-4 email messages regarding check-in.  I'm pretty sure people usually get their plane tickets before they book their Airbnb rooms.  So they should have a fairly decent idea on when they would be checking in.  I think just in general a window for the guests would be a great solution.  So that when I get a reservation I see "Jane is coming with 1 additional adult and is checking in between 3 pm and 4 pm."  SO EASY.  In addition, then that guest is obligated to use those check in times and the host is so much less obligated to waste their day waiting.  Because if the guest shows up at 7 pm and you're not home you could say "oh sorry, you're 3 hours past your check in time."   It just needs to be easier.  We have people in and out several times a week, so theres a big turnover rate for me to be havign to harass these people endlessly.