Why are reviews statistically inaccurate?

Answered!
Mitch28
Level 1
Darlinghurst, Australia

Why are reviews statistically inaccurate?

Hi hosts! 

I'm a seasoned host with over 200 reviews. I do everything I can to maintain my Superhost status. However the guests star reviews don't make statistical sense. For example, when conducting a review of a host, guests are given 6 key areas areas with a possibility of 5 stars for each area. Therefore essentially it is an overall mark out of 30.

I have reviews where the guest has given me 5 stars for each category except 1 where it is a 4 star. So in effect 29/30 stars. That equates to 96.66%. The guests review then appears publicly as a 4 star review. Is it the case that you have to achieve a perfect review to get a 5 star overall review? 

In another review, I achieved the 30/30 stars and yet it appears publicly as a 4 star review. It just doesn't make sense... 

For all the work we put in to become a Superhost, I just wonder what benefit actually materialises out of it. 

1 Best Answer
Ashley223
Level 2
Wildwood Crest, NJ

I just had a guest give me 5 stars on each category but 4 stars for overall.  I messaged them to ask what I could do better for next time and they were like oh we meant to give you 5 stars. Sigh.  I wish there was a way they could change it.  

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

I think you will find that the only review that counts in the public review is the rating for Overall Experience. The guests give ratings for each category including this but only the rating for overall experience is used for the 'overall rating'. So yes, you can get 5* in all the sub-categories but only 4* overall. I have had this on numerous occasions. Maybe the weather wasn't good of they didn't like their meal at a local restaurant. Who knows?

I've given up worrying about superhost status as it doesn't seem to make much difference to my guests - I still get plenty of bookings!

Ashley223
Level 2
Wildwood Crest, NJ

I just had a guest give me 5 stars on each category but 4 stars for overall.  I messaged them to ask what I could do better for next time and they were like oh we meant to give you 5 stars. Sigh.  I wish there was a way they could change it.