Why as a host, I require guest's ID and why you should too!

Leplubo0
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

Why as a host, I require guest's ID and why you should too!

No, I don't mean just relying and trusting airbnb in checking guest's ID, I mean mentioning in your house rules that YOU, the host, not airbnb, will be asking for the guest's ID after the booking.

Why?

1st because it's your most legitimate right to know who is staying at your place. The relationship between the host and the guest is not just about a few hundred bucks for a couple nights stay. There are safety and trust involved. Both the material and the emotional value of the house you let the guest in is in noway comparable to those few hundred bucks. Materially, at least here in California, properties are $1M or more each. Emotionally, we all know what we put in setting up a house, even those we don't live in as our primary residence.

2nd because Airbnb can't be trusted as a reliable insruance , in case of damages or issues. If you have doubts on that, read my very own recent experience here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Abuse-of-dominance-Airbnb-bullies-hosts/m-p/1017120#M252...

And it's well known that airbnb's security deposit is a joke:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Security-deposit-is-a-total-JOKE/td-p/43673

3rd, in case of issues, Airbnb will never reveal that ID to you anyway. So they don't cover you if the guest trashes your house and they won't help you to go after a bad guest. So what's the point? As a host what's the benefit for you that airbnb has their ID especially as we all know who they side with in case of issues.

4th, airbnb's automated ID checking tool is not even working. It's another airbnb joke. Try creating a new guest account with a new John Doe email and someone else's ID and see what happens. (I'm not saying I did, just a hint).

5th, and this is the most important reason: guest who gives you their ID, is going to be a more responsible guest than the one who does not. A bad guest who intends to party or trash your house won't give you their ID and you don't want them in your house. Beware of someone who wants to enter your very own house, and does not understand that it's your basic right, at a minimum, to know who they truly are.

Now you may think there are downsides to it:

1) Guests will refuse booking or refuse sending their ID after booking: I have been doing this since 4 years. It's written clearly in my house rules, and I have a saved message asking for ID sent out immediately after a booking in a nice message. I have 85% occupancy rate average in the year (could do better if I wanted to reduce the price in low season but I don't. Maybe in another post will explain why if needed). I can tell you less than 3% of guests have a problem with this and I happily ask them to cancel with no penalty. Very rare. But good thing. I don't want those 3% in my house and neither should you.

2) In the unlikely case there is an issue and a guest takes your request to Airbnb and complains, the airbnb rep will tell you that despite I have written this in my rules, airbnb doesn't "support" this, meaning that if my requirement leads to a cancelation, that can be considered as a host cancelation. Well, if you accept to refund even a last minute cancellation in full, all guests accept to initiate the cancellation, so you don't get penalized.

It's YOUR house, it should be YOUR rules. There is a reason hotels ask for ID and all those hotels I have tried in the past few years get a copy and keep in records (not just viewing it). If there is an issue, airbnb has nothing to lose, you are the one to lose it all, so don't get into the "super host" game that airbnb is succesfully playing with you. I have been there and been super host and lost it and gained it again and lost it and I can tell you, when you have a good property with fair reviews (no guest needs 5 star average, anywhere above 4.5 average is great) and a fair price, you get booked (4 years experience with several propertiess talks).

I have learned not to be an airbnb slave manipulated by their superhost logo and rules, and use the platform as what it is: a marketplace connecting hosts to guests. They don't have to dictate us their policy or rules. VRBO and others respect that, not the bully airbnb.

30 Replies 30
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Leplubo0 

I agree 100%

In some countries (Croatia included) this is mandatory and every host has to register their guests at the police / immigration department (via online form) but I would do it even if it wouldn't be my obligation.

A few years ago I've seen a video on youtube where one house was totally trashed by Airbnb guests and one of the police officers said: "it is unbelievable how people are naive and give the keys of their homes to total strangers they know nothing about, not even a name. "

Enough said

We take pictures of IDs from every guest in a group, even babies. We hosted about 500 groups guests and nobody ever complained about ID verification.

abolutely @Branka-and-Silvia0  . It's mind blowing that we even have to defend such a position and explaian it. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Etienne-Marie0
Level 7
Paris, France

Agree 100 % as well.

I ask copy of passport and ID or Driver's license. To get guest home address. Don't they have mine ?

Guest know who I am, where I live. While I meet them for the firts time.

This is the minimum. Helpless Airbnb would not be reliable in case of serious problems.

For example, I have a bad calendar/price issue with them. At the moment.

Reject software responsability on the host.

So, I start being fed up with Airbnb. Just a platform. Nothing else.

At apartment hotels in Paris, they ask to fill a "fiche de police" (police form).

Personnally, I take only scans for the person who booked.

A few were surprised.

Answered this was mentioned in my Airbnb pages. And explained the reasons.

Bien à vous,

Etienne-Marie

Ca fait plaisir de lire @Etienne-Marie0  . A nous d'eduquer le marche.

Great read @Etienne-Marie0  . It's up to us to educate the market.

Etienne-Marie0
Level 7
Paris, France

Yes. Rules.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't have an interest in asking for photo ID on arrival  @Leplubo0 and here we have data protection legislation we would need to abide by if we did.

I can understand why it needs to be seen by hosts in countries where it is a legal requirement.

In terms of insurance for your home. Why would any host  be reliant on the Airbnb guarantee (it's not insurance)  for their home. Particularly a more expensive one.

Even Airbnb says on its website that hosts shouldn't rely on it and should have their own home insurance for STRs.

By the way hosts are meant to upload photos of themselves rather than a logo on their profile. It instills trust.

I respectfully disagree @Helen3 :

Data protection legislation in UK does allow you to check the identity of the person you host in your house if they consent to it. If you want to accept any stranger in your house, it's of course your decision. Just like elsewhere. I am not forcing anyone to come to my house and taking their ID. They are free to come to your house instead 🙂 (humor)

Airbnb does market their protection EXACTLY as an INSURANCE. Read: https://www.airbnb.com/host-protection-insurance

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think you have misunderstood my post @Leplubo0 

I didn't state that I couldn't collect ID on arrival, I stated that I didn't have an interest in doing so.

Again I think you are confused. Airbnb offers a 'guarantee'  to hosts who have damage to their home. This is not insurance. If you look at Airbnb Help Centre you will see it says The Host Guarantee Programme isn't insurance and doesn't replace your homeowners or renters insurance'. 

The host protection insurance you linked to is a completely different thing and is a liability insuracne - have a look at the link you provided it says:

"All Airbnb hosts have the protection of liability insurance of up to $1 million USD to protect against third party claims for personal injury or property damage".

hahaha... @Helen3  so I am the one who is "confused". Ok thanks. You are sweet. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Leplubo0 

I am glad I have helped you to understand the difference between Airbnb's guarantee and their host protection insurance. 

It is suprising how many hosts get the two confused and  don't understand that Airbnb's guarantee is not a home content insurance for STRs and that they need to have this to cover the many areas not covered under Airbnb's guarantee.

@Helen3 in case you didn't notice, I just ignored your arrogant and rude comments. Not interested in interacting further with you. WOuld appreciate if you avoided mentioning me. Thanks and good luck with the way you do and act.

Lu111
Level 2
Exeter, United Kingdom

@Leplubo0  you’ve clearly never had to use Airbnb for a claim they are USELESS they don’t support you at all. I had a guest check in last Saturday... moved in 6 other people caused over £10000 damage and I was awarded my own case handler who said that I don’t need to liaise with the guest only her and once she has finished her “investigation”” she will open up a new case for damages, I questioned this as new there was a timescale to which it had to be reported she said again it’s fine... I reported damage using a link when she said her investigation was done and I got a reply saying I was too late to claim for damageS!!!

I screen shot all the case handlers emails showing that I had reported it to and 

my concerns at her timescales and all I got was “sorry you are not happy with our decision “

anyone

else feel Airbnb are absolutely useless and unsupportive?? I’m livid I’m going ro

persue legal action against them  now to get the repairs done  as I have all the evidence I need to prove they don’t adhere to their host guarantee.

I bet there’s hundreds of thousands of hosts out there out of pocket due their incompetence but they have the market so until someome

bigger and better comes along then stuck with them 🤯

@Helen3 

Hm .... if you rent long term to a tenant do you have to sign a contract and are yours and your tenant's personal information in this contract? 

If yes, why is it different then hosting short term guests?

If you book a room in a hotel in the UK do you have to show your photo ID when you arrive?

If your guest would rob you or assault you and then leave, you would probably call the police and police would like to know how this person get into your home and what is his name? What would you tell them? How do you think the police would find him?

Just curious...

Hi @Branka-and-Silvia0 

Long term tenants are a different matter. Yes I have a tenancy and credit check the tenant. 

I don't need to do this with Airbnb as guests pay them in advance and they have no legal rights to stay as I only offer short term stays.

No we don't always have to show ID in a hotel in the UK.

If I was assaulted or robbed, Airbnb would have to disclose this information to the police.

As always hosts host in ways that works for them. If you want to or have to see photo iD for a guest then absolutely go ahead. 

That doesn't mean that everyone has to.