Why can't I be more restrictive about who stays at my place?

Ben238
Level 1
Dallas, TX

Why can't I be more restrictive about who stays at my place?

I have listings that explicitly state that only well-reviewed guests should request a stay ("10+ reviews only" in the title, for example). Needless to say, many would-be guests have ignored the stipulations and applied. My cheaper listing attracts an endless parade of ostensibly homeless applicants. AirBnB gave me a 5-day suspension this morning for rejecting too many stays. Is there no way I can be more restrictive about who I allow to stay in my personal home while I'm away?

12 Replies 12
Allison106
Level 1
Pasadena, CA

That's interesting. If you are turning people down because of their low reviews, that shouldn't work against you. That's why the reviews are there. Airbnb should have a box you can check for "reason" , "guest has poor reviews".

Increase the cost? We have a higher price point on our place in comparison to similar homes in the area, and a strict cancellation policy which, I think, turns away a lot of guests. In the end, the people who are serious and are willing to follow by the rules are the only ones who apply. This helps us because our place is an antique, it's in the woods, we don't live close by it, and we can really only host guests who know can go the extra mile.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Have you though of increasing your prices?

David
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The conflict lies in the fact your '10-reviews minimum' filter is your personal requirement, and thus you will have to 'correct' (actually reject) every single requesting applicant that either didn't read it in the first place or chose to ignore it if they did. And every time you do, Airbnb will throw a cow. It is a set up that is not working as is, nor will do so at all in the future. A new approach is certainly in order.

Allison made the most 'natural' suggestion, raise your price, which ~usually~ leads to a more conciencious clientele.

What exactly are your fears about allowing someone with less than 10 reviews? Need that much feedback to make a wise decision? How about those with only a few, like 2- or 3 reviews? It appears 10 reviews is indeed proving to be a too-tall of a requirement, if so perhaps a less stringent of a requirement may help. Just a thought.

I doubt if 1% of my bookings have had 10 reviews.

David

I hear you; 90% of my guests have zero reviews, and just joined Airbnb.

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

I agree, most guests have very few reviews. But, I think the point here is, can a host set conditions such as a required number of reviews for a guest before accepting them? It would appear not, that's the way Airbnb works.

You could ask Airbnb to add this as a feature, but I doubt they will.

One option might be to reply to requests without accepting or declining. You could send a text reply along the lines of 'One of my rules is...' and add that if they meet the condition, you'll happily pre-approve them. Then wait for the response. I suspect most potential guests will, at this point, go away. And, you won't be penalised for declining requests.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try replying without accept or deny and see if it has any downsides. It seems in line with the AirBnB rules, though I'd much rather not have to put up with spam from applicants who don't even come close to my requirements.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

zero % of my bookings have 10 reviews - 50% none at all.  Been in the game since 2012. Some guests ask not to be reviewed for privacy reason, some avoid airbnb for same reason.  I also use airbnb occasionally when travelling - 30% of my hosts have chosen not to leave a review.  Not sure I would achieve 10 reviews in my lifetime !

@Ben238  Like everyone is saying, 10 is a lofty goal. I will go further to say that we've had guests with many positive reviews that were not great, possibly they thought they didn't have to try anymore. We've had some with only one or two that were awesome. Vet them by questions instead.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Ben205YES, it would be cool for hosts to have more 'filters' available to them. I vote for having one that helps to pre-empt whiners.

P.S. Did they remove the age of applicants lately, I don't see this ~very important filter~ showing anymore.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Ben238

I presume you have set your listing so only guests with positive reviews can book?

I've never in 2 years of hosting had a guest with 10 reviews. Why did you decide to put this requirement in place.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ben238

Your problem is setting the bar way too high. Lots of hosts will of course have more than 10 reviews about their hosting and property but vey few guests will have 10+.

Seems a very arbritary figure any way - why would a guest will 5 fantastic reviews not meet your exacting standards?