Why do guests come to stay in your listing?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Why do guests come to stay in your listing?

Guests come to stay in your listing.jpg

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a super week.

I’m sure many of you often ask yourself why a guest might choose to stay in your home and there could be many great reasons for this. The location of your house, the great nearby areas, the price, the design, your skills as a host, the good reviews, interesting events nearby your place...the list could be endless.

What do you think attracts guests to your listing and do you like to highlight this in your listing description?

I'm looking forward to speaking with you soon.

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

38 Replies 38
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie 

Hi Lizzie, probably the largest percentage of my guests come here for 'Steamranger'....the rail preservation society which is based here in Mt Barker!

http://www.steamrangerheritagerailway.org/

Steamranger is a voluntary organisation with around 80 personnel who restore old railway rolling stock. They currently have 6 restored steam engines and 5 diesel engines and about 60 carriages and other rolling stock.

Every Sunday a steam engine pulls a train full of enthusiastic revellers 90 Kms down the Fleurieu Peninsula to Victor Harbor on the southern ocean and back again that night. We have guests from all over the world coming here to take in this experience. Pure novices can even spend a day during the week getting involved in the restoration process which really does give them the thrill of a lifetime....To go back home with photos and say, "I helped restore the 'Sir Willoughby Norrie'" is something they hold dear all their lives.....

And I am glad to be a part of that Lizzie! 

Cheers.....Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, what a setting for a trainline eh @Robin4! It reminds me a lot of the Brunnel trainline which runs along the coastline of Devon in the South West of England (except these are modern day trains). 

It sounds like a lovely trip to do. Are you guests usually pretty pleased when they return?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

Hi @Lizzie

I believe my guests come here to see the Ohrid Lake. It is the oldest natural lake in Europe and one of the oldest in the world. My property is in the city center by the shore, so I believe that is the main reason people choose it. Ohrid is an amazing place to see, it is one of the 28 sites that are part of UNESCO's World Heritage. I am happy to be living here and I try to make my apartments as pleasant as possible so that guests can enjoy the city and have a great experience here.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It's an incredible setting @Ana1136, you must feel so lucky to be so close to such a beautiful lake. 

Do you find that your guests do a range of activities on the lake? Swimming, boating etc.?

--------------------

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Lizzie yes, people go sailing here, there are a lot of boat tours, kayaking, there is the "Bay of the bones" which are houses above the water ( people in Ohrid used to live above the water in the past ) and people can go diving beneath them. Ohrid was not very famous but in the last couple of years there are more and more people comming and actually in the summer, especially july and august, tourists have trouble finding accomodation because it is so crowded even though almost everyone who lives here rents at least one apartment. Overall it is a lovely place to see 🙂

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great topic @Lizzie!

Guests visit my place in Edinburgh because it is behind the Holyrood Palace and a 5-minute walk to the Royal Mile with Edinburgh Castle at the end. Every summer Queen Elizabeth spends some time in the palace and a small part of the park is temporarily used as parking space for the Scots Guards. I would see the guards getting prepared every morning when walking the dog :-).

August is the busiest time of the year due to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe and Edinburgh Castle being transformed into a temporary stadium for the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo! 

IMG_5386.JPG

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great photo @Quincy. There are so many nice things to do in Edinburgh. I've always wanted to go to the Edingburgh Festival. I imagine, you got lots of guests during that period?

(Keeping with your theme @Robin4, if you ever take the train to Edinburgh, once you enter into Scotland, there is an lovely view of the North Sea, it's very enjoyable – I think I should stop talking about trains now! Sorry 🙂 )

--------------------

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie

I remember the first time I did that trip from London to Edinburgh by rail!

It was June 1999 and I had never been to England before. Adrienne had the good sense to get a 'Britrail' pass....and the stupid British rail people dud themselves!

We brought two Britrail passes which entitles us to use the British Rail services for 5 days over a one month period. So, there were our tickets with 5 boxes on each and the protocol was, as the conductor came around he should initial and date a box on each ticket to signify the service had been used on that day....but the silly buggers did not understand what these passes were, they would simply look at them, give them back to us and move on to the next! So we each managed to have 7 trips courtesy of Britrail and there was still 2 unchecked boxes when we left Britain, which daughter Sarah put to good use after we left to tour Europe and return to Oz....and I think one of those trips she did was also a London/Edinburgh!

Lizzie, I remember thinking how the first part of the trip I was diappointed, we travelled through countryside that looked just like home but oh how right you are, nearer the Scottish border that North Sea secenery was lovely. The next time we went up there some years later,I looked forward to it again and Lizzie the 'Cockle Train' section of the Steamranger trip from Goolwa to Victor Harbor is very remeniscent of that North Sea journey.

Ok....enough about trains....but hey, you started this!

Cheers......Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Quincy

Oh Quincy, we were there when the Tattoo was on and the Fringe in 1999, and the line of people going to the Tattoo ran much of the length of the Royal Mile!. I would love to say Adelaide's Festival and Fringe and Festival was as good as Edinburgh's....but it isn't, or wasn't, I think the Adelaide Fringe  probably rivals it now.

Sarah and I took a carton of beer up onto Carton Hill where the old Roman ruins are, and we watched the massive banks of floodlighting take over the city as it eventually got dark. We loved the multitude of street performers and ended up on the Royal Mile at a pub that had been recommended to me called the 'Deakin Brodie' and met up with these Scottish guys who, when they found out we were Aussies, kept on buying us beers.....did not get back to the B&B until 3.00am .....

Maybe not a good thing to admit Quincy but.....I left a bit of DNA in the Scotish countryside the next morning!!!

Cheers.....Rob

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Busy times @Robin4!

I've been to the Deacon and Calton Hill many times! Usually, there are a lot of events going on up there and it is a nice viewpoint too. You should visit Arthur's Seat next time you're there. 

Don't worry about the DNA as maybe something nice will grow from it... a Thistle :-). 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I think guests come for the views and privacy.  We got pretty lucky with our set up.  It's an attached guest house with its own private deck and great views.  It's not all that close to anything, but not that far from the hustle and bustle of los angeles either.  It's just a quiet and romantic little space that is comfortable and inexpensive.  Guests have complete privacy and can enjoy the scenery.  We also have lots of wild peacocks which can be a fun treat for the guests.  But we are in a bedroom community no nightlife to speak of, so when we started we didn't think we get many bookings.  But luckily there isn't a lot of other similar spaces in the area so we have been fortunate to stay booked up almost completely every month so far.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww yes, sometimes it is really nice just to enjoy quietness and relax, especially if you come from a busy area or city. It's great you have the best of both worlds @Ned-And-Laura0 and also have access to the delights of the city and beaches too. 

It's great to hear you are doing so well. I really like the massive terrace you have at your home, it looks really comfortable and a great space to relax. Do you find your guests use this a lot?

--------------------

Thanks lizzie! Yes, we really do have a nice balance.  With the large deck, yes they do use it a lot I have found.  Some don't but most really enjoy the space.  We also have a large BBQ down there but so far nobody has used it even once.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@LizzieI don't think my location plays as big a part in guests booking my listing because they have thousands upon thousands of Airbnbs to choose from in London. Quite a few do say though that the location was a factor because they wanted to be somewhere convenient for getting to the sights, but not bang in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Central London. They don't want to stay in a tourist trap either. Still, there are loads of Airbnbs in my area, so they could have picked one of those instead.

Some of the reasons guests often give for choosing my listings (in order of most common) are:

- The photos. It looks beautiful.

- The reviews/I wanted to stay with a Superhost.

- I LOVE cats sooooooo much.

- I wanted the whole 'Victorian' experience.

- I couldn't believe what a good price it was.

I guess these are all factored into my listing anyway (including a photo of one of my kitties looking winsome) and the Victorian element is mentioned in the title so pretty hard to miss!

14409486_10153714069581883_1899871780358267405_o.jpg