Why do some hosts get 25% payment for Covid related cancellations and others not?

Why do some hosts get 25% payment for Covid related cancellations and others not?

So if you have a strict or moderate cancellation policy you get something back from Airbnb during this Covid crisis. If you have a more guest-friendly policy that offers free cancellation you get nothing. Why is this? I have had over 30 cancellations owing to Covid19 and thought we were all in this together, that is until I heard that AirBnB was offering hosts with stricter cancellation policies 25% of what they were expecting to get. This seems somewhat unfair. Would probably be fairer to offer something to everyone who is suffering during this crisis. I rent out a room in my home and as a pensioner this is the only income I receive. Why discriminate against hosts based on their cancellation policies?

51 Replies 51

@Chris225

I asked Aisling Hassell, VP and global lead of Customer Service for clarification on the terms and timing of the $250 million relief fund, just wwo days ago. See her response below..

Thanks @Susan17 . We started sending support payments late last week, and some of you may have seen payments in your accounts. 

Unfortunately, we’re running slightly behind the original schedule— and some of the support payments have been delayed. We know how important these payments are, and we’re sorry. We’re working as hard as we can to get back on track.

This first batch of payments will include eligible reservations before April 8, and total $140 million USD for 500,000 hosts. Despite the delays, rest assured, everyone that is eligible will receive their support payment. We hope to have the first group sent by May 1. 

Hosts with eligible reservations will receive an email when their support payment is issued, including a file so you can see what qualifies and how the payment was calculated. You’ll also find the payment in your transaction history.

As you mentioned, one thing we should also clarify is that the calculation for the payments will be based on 25% of what a cancellation charge would have been, not the total value of the booking. You can learn more about how the disbursements work here.

I hope you and your loved ones are safe, and I appreciate the post. You can continue to check airbnb.com/COVID for updates.

Aisling

Also, it appears that most - if not all - hosts with strict cancellation policies who have so far received payouts from the $250 million relief fund, have not received any payouts for March, despite Brian Chesky stating the 12.5% disbursements would be applied retroactively.

So this is very odd.. 

@Susan17  Yes, this is odd. Another host here also said they received 25%, although they have a moderate cancellation policy, and the guest cancelled before the policy would have kicked in. Either they are not disbursing funds as stated, or it's more Airbnb glitches and it wouldn't surprise me at all if at some point those hosts get an email saying they were paid out in error and that it will be clawed back from future reservations.

@Sarah977

Yeah, it was Ann, I think.

I got a payout yesterday morning. Same email as @Chris225, supposed to be for all cancellations up to April 8. Incorrect amounts, some missing, nothing at all for March, including St Patrick's week, which I was counting on. Oh and the listed amounts in dollars, rather than euros, just to make everything even more confusing and hard to figure out. Shoot me now...

Jay1385
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

My two rooms were fully booked for March - May and all my guests got fully refunded. I have a strict cancellation policy. I was promised 25% of missed income due covid -19 but yesterday I got an invoice that I only get 25% of 50% of these invoices!! That means that for a 1200 euro reservation they only pay 25% of 600 euro's which is nothing!

Also I have been a superhost from 2016 - 2019 with more than 300 five star reviews. I made a new listing because my private names were showing but I should be getting a compensation from the Superhost Relief Program. Casemanagers tell me I have to wait for an invitation which I will never get. It's one big maffia gang. I feel totally ripped off

I have not gotten anything!  I know I had nonrefundable bookings that were cancelled this month and early May.

Annamarie5
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

So I have just called airbnb for clarification on the "25% payout vs your cancellation policy" and they confirmed that even though I had a moderate/nonrefundable policy, I'd only get a payment if the guest cancelled inside 15 days before their trip.  I agree nothing on the marketing or advice mentioned anything along these parameters and I agree that it's a sneaky move by airbnb; BUT the girl on the phone told me to leave feedback after the call complaining that Airbnb doesn't make this clear and that it's very unfair for other hosts.  She said that the more people complain about this, the more airbnb might change this ambiguous criterion.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

^^^ "She said that the more people complain about this, the more airbnb might change this ambiguous criterion.". 

Airbnb is indeed guilty of one main sin - they seem to lack a full  understanding of human nature; they just try to do too much and always in a very complicated manner. A serious flaw when dealing with humans. They need to stop the micro-managing! However..

No matter their sincere intentions (forgiving them for their standard confusing methodology), whatever they do it will become a source of discontent and suspicion, because the gift instantly becomes a 'right', the motives immediately the source of cynicism (they are doing it for PR) and then there is the further burden (at such an incredibly  hectic times), of constantly being on the phone explaining, alleviating fear, suspicions or having to handle outright anger - one could only imagine the tone of many of these exhausting conversations. 

May I remind you all, this is a booking agency, nothing more, like any other (VRBO, Bookings.com, Trip Advisor, Expedia, RentWithUs.com, WeAreTheBest.com, WeAreNotYourPartners.com, Don'tDareCallUs.com, etc.)

Time for Airbnb to wrap up this chapter, finish dispersing the infamous $250 million gift ASAP and move forward with total emphasis on being a better & wiser service in the future. 

Disclaimer: Some of the links above, will not work.