Why does airbnb misinform potential guests by showing the lowest nightly price?

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Why does airbnb misinform potential guests by showing the lowest nightly price?

I have different prices for different times of the year, weekdays, weekends and even sometimes lower the price for upcoming nights that haven't rented out yet. 

My range is from $75 to $200 a night currently. Why does airbnb show people ONLY the lowest price? Potential guests think that all my nightly rates are $75. When they go to book that prime weekend in the summer and see the price is $200/night, they message me asking why. 

It's very misleading and it causes lots of wasted time for guests trying to book a room they can't afford and for hosts to explain why the price is NOT the advertised $75. 

This is the message I got today.... "

Hi there, your ad on airbnb says $75 per night but when I go to book it jumps to $200 per night... I’m just wondering what the actual price is, maybe the app is just being glitchy. Thanks!
Today at 10:31 AM
32 Replies 32
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If they put the dates they are interested in they will see the correct prices.

Why do you feel the need to explain?

David

That's the problem! They do put the dates in and then see the correct price ($200) which differs from my lowest price ($75) that airbnb initially shows them on the listing. It's confusing and misleading. 

WHY EXPLAIN? If I didn't respond to the potential guest & explain, I would have lost this booking and been dinged for not responding. 

By the way, I did explain and the guest did book for the $200 per night BUT I'm sure he would have rather paid the "from $75" that it says on my listing. If I didn't explain why we're worth $200 on a weekend night in mid summer, I'd have lost that listing. 

@Donald28   With min. and max. rates there is no way to know what the price is until the date is put in.  If you feel it is misleading add something in your description such as Rates vary from 75-200 and explain to the guest that your rates are seasonal.

I agree but it IS misleading to the person booking. They ONLY see the lowest rate in the ad. They then assume that the rate is that number that airbnb shows them. Why should I have to add even more to my already lengthy description when airbnb could fix this by showing a range of price  $75 - $200 instead of just showing the lowest price? 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Donald28 It could be solved by Airbnb inserting 'from' in front of the price. I have a note on my listing stating prices are variable based on availability, season, events. Why Airbnb does not just stick a 'from' in there is a bit perplexing - They constantly stress that our listings need to be accurate and that guests don't like to be disappointed; yet, they will not add that 'from' in front of the price. Go figure.

People don't read the "FROM". My ad says that. They just see the dollar amount. 

@Donald28, thanks for bringing this up. I noticed once the "weekend pricing" and "extra guest charge" notes disappeared on the listings, prospective guests started sending me questions, too. The last one even used your fellow's "glitch" suggestion. Your post reminded me that I was going to put my own note about weekend pricing and extra people in my summary. Have done it now. I like @Paul154's reply, since I never hesitate to make Airbnb the heavy in guest communications, but this might make even that unnecessary. I know! Assuming it gets read, etc. Anyway, I appreciate the reminder.

They do add the "from" in the view I get, @Rebecca181. Canada, Chrome, laptop. Here is a screenshot of what I see on your listing:

From.PNG

@Lawrene0 Alleleuia! There IS a 'from' there now. There was not before - I check my listing several times a week. But look at the difference in price! What's up with that? No wonder I have had only two Canadian guests in the past year!

Screenshot 2018-04-30 at 8.56.20 PM.png

Canadian dollars, @Rebecca181. 'Dollarettes' these days 🙂

MON DIEU!!! That explains it, then, @Lawrene0!! Too bad. I loved both of my Canadian guests!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Donald28,

Thanks for starting this and for sharing you think the price should show as a range.

Just so I'm understanding this correctly, do you think most guests will go a general search and then once they find a listing, then put in specific dates in therefore resulting in the pricing changing or something different? 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@