Why doesn't answering a simple question NOT count as a response????

James165
Level 10
Atlanta, GA

Why doesn't answering a simple question NOT count as a response????

It is very frustrating that an interested person can ask a simple question, you can answer it from your dashboard, but unless you pre-approve or decline, Airbnb acts like you've not responded. When a client simply says "hi" and all of a sudden they have a proposal in front of them, it kind of freaks them out - especially if they said "hi" to several properties. Why doesn't a response count as a response???? If they actually submit a booking request, then yes, I see that they should get an approve or decline within 24 hours. This is very frustrating as a host since it forces me to respond in ways that the potential guest is not asking and it makes Airbnb look silly!

25 Replies 25
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alice-and-Jeff0 @Marit-Anne0 @James165

Well, maybe things are happening differently in some parts of the world, who knows with the Airbnb platform but, here is a screenshot of my procedure to contact James! @James165 I did not proceed with the sending of this but I could have...the option was there!

I hit the contact host field, I do NOT put dates in I simply put in a guest or two and as soon as I type a message into the message box, the option appears to send that message.....no dates are required...the send message field becomes active!

Alice, I do use this contact option often, and the reason I do it is to not put the host on the other end under response pressure....all I have done is ask a question. It works for me and it forms part of advice I have been giving to others!

Test messgae.png

This is not a recent change and I would be very surprised if you do not have the same option available!

Cheers.....Rob

It must be a different-parts-of-the-world thing then, @Robin4, because in my test (my husband's guest account trying to contact my host account so I didn't interfere with another host's response rates), when I hit SEND, an error message popped up telling me to enter dates. Here is a screenshot of the error message:

testmessage.PNG

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lawrene0

Hi Lawrene, yeah this is the thing that sh*ts me about Airbnb....we all seem to work to a different set of rules! 

The IB canellation rules are entirely different to US hosts than they are to hosts in other parts of the world......why!

I am going to take this up with those contacts I have to try and get a definitive ruling.

I do not get the error message you do....and this makes it so hard to give accurate information!

Like you Lawrene, all I want to do is help others, and I got my backside kicked for passing on sensitive information on the CC a couple of weeks ago!

I will pursue this and try and establish why your set of rules are different to mine!

Cheers Rob.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I tried it too @Lawrene0, same results; ' inquirer' must enter dates. Interesting. Do you also get 3 choices - Pre-Approve, Decline and 'Reply' to address Inquiries?

Yes, @Fred13 those are my options, too. I don't trust the assurance that a reply is enough for an inquiry. That has not been my experience. Clock kept ticking and warning messages popped up last time I tried it.  

Looking forward to hearing what you learn about the no-date inquiry, @Robin4. You can use me as a test subject if you like. I'll just pre-approve you 🙂

Funny you should say that @Lawrence0, I think you are onto something. I always just 'Reply', never 'Pre-Approve' or 'Decline' when answering Inquiries and my Response Rate clock goes slowly down by 1% about every other day, since i answer 25-30 inquiries a day (out of ~15k views a week). So eventually it plummets all the way to < 50%, then they reset it back to 100%, and already in the Stats it is at 97%, though 'Respond Rate is 100%. So of course will be below 90% by April 1st, and wouldn't make Superhost again, which frankly I no longer care. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Robin4

Getting the same error message as the others when hitting the send button. 

@Robin4 - would you be so kind as to send me a message using this method? I'd like to test it out to see what it looks like on my end.  Thanks!  

Gracia8
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

As someone who to this point in time has only been a guest at airbnb's, I agree that it's kind of creepy and annoying to get those hyper emails inviting me to book, when all I've done is ask question.

Cherie-and-Bill0
Level 4
Melbourne, FL

I don't understand why I have to decline or accept a booking if the guest does not provide any information beyond a phone number in their profile. I have sent two messages politely requesting they fill out their profile, with no response from the guest.  I use instant booking, require an ID, but do not require reviews. I assume this will be one of my 3 'free' declines for the year. Also, is it true that this guest can rate me for 'booking experience'? If so, the cynical me could imagine a rival property (we just became Superhosts) making up a bogus account to sully our 5.0 stars. 

Lauris-and-Gene0
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

Thanks for bringing this up. This has been driving me crazy. Everytime someone sends me a simple request for information, I answer right away. And then I get hounded over and over by AirBnB to respond.

I also continue to be irritated that someone can make a booking request and provide absolutely no information about themselves. I seem to recall that way back when we first used AirBnB as guests, I provided my gov't issued ID as well as a bio, but then my husband had to provide the same information for himself because I had made a booking request for both of us. That would make it so much better than constantly having to write back to ask who the other person (or persons) is.