Why don't guests follow instructions

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

Why don't guests follow instructions

I send my guests the instructions for the keyless door entry system so they don't need to knock and wait upon check-in. This is what I send

1. Press any number on keypad

2. Enter ???? (last four numbers of your phone number registered on Airbnb)

3. Press bottom left button 

4. Turn handle down to enter

Now this isn't rocket science but you'd be surprised how many guests 

1. Don't press any number and/or

3. Press bottom right button

Does anyone else have guests who have trouble with keypad instructions?

12 Replies 12
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Moira21 I have guests having trouble turning the key in the lock, I don't want to imagine what would happen if they needed to push a few buttons. Maybe try explaining with pictures of the buttons, maybe circle them and write the order in which they have to push them. It sounds ridiculous I know but some people need extra explanation. 

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Moira21 Yesterday I created post about getting a 4 star rating because the guests had to spend 7 min to open the digital lock when they did self checkin. 

@Ana1136 It does not matter what you write and how you write with picture or not, they just don’t read carefully. Some guests just have little patience.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ana1136  yes haha 😄 same here... it seems keys are old school , we had so many problems with guests and keys and finally we installed a digital lock with a card.  But, they still have to manually close the door and it seems it is too much for some of them ( precisely for 2 groups in 2 weeks) so now we have a few A4 format signs on 4 languages + a picture of a thief to remaind them to close the door 😄 Imagine! 

@Moira21  instead of a code we use a digital key chain (works like a digital card) and it is on the same ring with ordinary keys for the building entrance. All they have to do is to touch the lock with a key chain, wait a second until it unlocks (you can hear it) and press a handle. No problem.

If you have such option I would advise it.

If not then try with pictures instead of text.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 yesss we just ordered those, I hope it will be easier for guests. Although closings the doors is whole different struggle, I emphasize it on every check in now and it still happens. 

@Ana1136 

Yes, we also emphasize it, at least 3x at check in + we have this decoration taped on both sides of the front door and we point a finger on it.  I feel like an idiot while repeating this but I just have to.

Feel free to print it and make your door as beautiful as mine 😛

CLOSE THE DOOR-NOVO-2.jpg

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I might as well do it, I've got nothing to loose at this point, maybe a picture will get their attention 😄

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

@Mike1034 @Ana1136 If this continues I think I'll revert back to telling them the door will be unlocked for their arrival, so they can turn the handle and walk in. Do you think that sounds confusing to guests!!!!

@Moira21 They probably still cannot open because you do not tell them where the key is and what the code is 🙂

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Moira21

I have keyless entry but my system seems much more simple. I tell guests to type in the last four digits of their cell phone number and then open the door. No one has ever had a problem. I have a new listing which has one of those multipoint locks where you need to insert the key, and then lift up the door handle, then turn the key left or right to lock/unlock. I already know guests are going to have issues with this since they likely wont pull up my e-mailed instructions. I typed up and laminated the three step instructions and taped it to a window pain in the door. That way guests can literally see the instructions in front of them while they are fiddling with the key. It will obviously mean nothing to someone who doesn’t have the key. I will let you know how it goes.

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

@Mike1034 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Emilia42 @Ana1136  With all the new technology out there I'm waiting for an invention of a system that unlocks and opens the door through voice activation with a phrase "Open sesame" springs to mind. 😃

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Moira21Siri or Alexia can probably do that!

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

@Emilia42  Yes, Googled it and they already exist but apparently have a few security issues. I'd want one that I could set so the guest just says their name and the door unlocks.