Why don't my reviews of guests who trashed my house appear?

Ariana735
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Why don't my reviews of guests who trashed my house appear?

I am new to Airbnb (since September) and over the holidays I've had my first two bad experiences with guests back to back. 

The first one was a group who had some kind of weird sex party. The damage included a **bleep** stain on the dresser where a used condom was left,  two destroyed duvets, destroyed jacuzzi cover and they left some parts which I just recently figured out was a stripper pole that they put up in my basement. 

The second one was a woman who stayed with her children. They actually kicked in an exterior door and destroyed the casing and the door. It cost $1300 to have a repairman come in and removed the exterior casing, door, caulking and now I have to paint the exterior of the house. They also left a cigarette burn on one of my rugs. She is now asking for a refund because she claims there was not enough hot water for showers. This is something that I have never experienced and I have never heard from anybody. She is asking for $500 back because of the water and because the pilot on our second fireplace was out. I offered to come and light it on Christmas Eve but she said no and said it wasn't a problem. 

We had some random little things broken before that - a table with a water stain, a bar stool that somebody stood on and broke the foot rest, a lamp and some bedding. I didn't claim any of these as it seemed like mostly wear and tear. But now I'm worried about continuing as a host. 

I have left bad reviews for both them. However, when I go to their Airbnb profiles these reviews do not appear. How can we be expected to vet our own guests if Airbnb doesn't post bad reviews about guests? Now I'm working with resolutions and I am not getting the feeling that they are interested in looking out for my best interests as a host. 

Anybody have any insight for me? This is probably a little "ranty" but I'm SO frustrated. 

30 Replies 30
Ariana735
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Update - so they published her review of our rental AND dropped us our star rating from 5.0 to 4.8 over this. I answered the review offering information about the door being destroyed and the cigarette burns in the rug downstairs. When I called Airbnb regarding my two claims they told me that they had been closed with nobody even ever contacting me to discuss. I'm so upset and angry at the absolutely disregard from Airbnb that I'm considering just not doing this anymore. I'm absolutely shocked at how Airbnb has had no support for us from crazy guests. 

@Ariana735I'm sorry this has happened. I can well understand your frustration and disgust with the platform, given what you have written.

Have you removed your listing? I went to your profile to look at the reviews that were posted (yours does appear on the guest's page, along with her response to it), but if I click on your listing, it does not come up.

Exactly. So when I look at a persons reviews. How am I supposed to make an informed decision about whether to accept them in my home or not?

@Ariana735   I'm so sorry this happened to you!   This forum is full of stories like yours--Airbnb denying to pay on claims by hosts.    This just confirms my suspicion that their "million-dollar-host-guarantee" is nothing more but a clever marketing ploy, designed to falsely put host's minds at ease.  😕

I'm kind of over hosting at the moment as well after having someone sneak in two toddlers who "beautified" my couch covers and guestbook with a sharpie and an ink pen.    I blocked off most of my calendar and turned IB off for the moment.   It's nice to have a little extra income, but luckily, we don't need to rely on it.  At this point, I feel that it's just not worth it.    

You could try and leave a nice message on Airbnb's Twitter feed; they are known to respond to those a lot faster than to messages send through the App.   Good luck to you!

PS: did you pull your listing? It doesn't appear to be viewable anymore.

I did not pull my listing. I'm guessing nobody likes people who speak up. 

Lachristy0
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

a guest came in on a fake credit card and stole my tvs and blankets. smoked wholes in my rug, table, and nice accent charis I had and even my floor amongst other damage. left my house wide open and Airbnb will not pay me for the stay, nor did they do right by me on the damage claim. You will likely get a fraction of the money for the door damages and they will tell you that they have made a final decision and you wont hear from anyone else and they will be rude with you when you call them 

I'm so sorry that happened. I've had 4 different people tell me that my case manager would call me as soon as they are off the phone. Finally had someone call me about the sex party people - said they would send me an email to respond to with more pics. Have not seen said email.

Ariana735
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Wow - you guys are right. My listing is gone. I can't find it anywhere. Just. Wow.

@Ariana735 

Your listing is not visible to me either - it appears to have either been suspended, or delisted. Have you had an communication from Airbnb about this at all? Any upcoming bookings cancelled?

I have heard nothing from Airbnb. Not sure how what occurred merits delisting. But I have not stopped my listing. 

I'm sorry to say @Ariana735, it looks as though you've been screwed over by your guest Nicole, because you didn't give her the "price adjustment" she was demanding. Most likely she made some bogus complaint to Airbnb about you, and without bothering to investigate or inform you (standard abusive practice from this company), they've either suspended or delisted you. 

I guess it's ok. I've been appalled by how this has all transpired. I think we are actually going charge her with vandalism through our local police department.  I think we will honor the rentals that we have but we are pretty much done with Airbnb. I don't really feel safe or protected by Airbnb after only 4 months.  I can't imagine if anything horrible happened. 

@Ariana735 

Your "guest" Nicole even admids that they have damaged Your door.

But better not complain about a trashed door or we will be delisted.

Wendy1032
Level 2
Port St. Lucie, FL

just as you would like to leave a negative review as a host, a customer is unable to leave a negative review anywhere. I did not stay in your place, but you should be irate and be able to voice your opinion. I had a negative experience with a host, staying in a cottage that although clean, was in a rundown, deplorable neighborhood! I am shocked that Airbnb will not allow any negative feedback. I am reporting them to the better business bureau after reading your comment. Its amazing to me that all the hosts are strictly told by Airbnb what to tell the guests when there is an issue and not to say "sorry" or that will admit guilt on their part.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Wendy1032 

Airbnb do allow 'negative' guest feedback Wendy, almost every host gets it from time to time, some of it justified, some of it not. However Airbnb  do not allow vindictive  and revenge review material. 

There is a certain level of common decency that must be respected in the review process by both hosts and guests!

I have looked at Mary Beth's profile and listing and I have read her 87 reviews! Those 87 guests have felt the property and it's location was ok and have actually awarded Mary Beth 'Superhost' status. I would remind you that is a guest award, not a company award. Previous guests have found the listing is worth that award.

I have also read your very discourteous response to her nice short review of you. Your scathing criticism of her listing and location, and I can fully understand Airbnb's decision to remove your comments from Mary Beth's profile. I don't say I support their decision to remove it because, your comments tell us far more about you than they tell us about Mary Beth, and that should be seen by other hosts.

87 guests found that property ok and worth recommending....... 1 guest, (you) chose to tear it to pieces...let's see, who do we believe.....you or the other 87!!!

Wendy, you are far better suited to the hotel market for your accommodation needs, please spare more hosts who try their best to provide value for money from any further heartache!

Cheers......Rob