Why is Airbnb now ONLY offering guests a credit option, when their COVID policy states they offer a cash refund?? Limiting exposure to loss?

Jo56
Level 10
Darlinghurst, Australia

Why is Airbnb now ONLY offering guests a credit option, when their COVID policy states they offer a cash refund?? Limiting exposure to loss?

Airbnb is getting shiftier and shiftier by the minute. 

As a host, they have made decisions on our behalf that have decimated our income. We have accepted that guests are cancelling, but now Airbnb are going against their published COVID Extenuating Circumstances policy, and blaming Hosts for not being able to give guests a cash refund. 

The new (updated as of 14th March)  policy states that cancelling guests will get the option for a  full cash refund, however one of our guests, on cancelling their trip which is within the new (updated as of 14th March) COVID Extenuating Cirumstances policy, was only offered credit for future travel. The automated cancellation system also noted that this was due to "the Host's cancellation policy", shifting blame from Airbnb to the Hosts. 

Very clever, yet again, Airbnb. Did you think hosts would not find out about this? That guests would not actually read the published policy details which state that they would be offered a full refund? 

The simple fact is that we have a "Strict" cancellation policy. Since Airbnb released their smoke and mirrors, "we are saviours to hosts" package, which gives most hosts nothing, but those with a "Strict" policy a token refund, Airbnb is now trying everything to limit any refunds, to both hosts and guests. I'm not shocked any more, but I am continually disappointed and disgusted with the polar opposite of Airbnb's Public Face and their actions behind the scenes.

I am currently on hold after managing to reach a 'CS' rep.

First, I was told "the new policy is to only give guests a travel credit". 

Then, I was asked to send a screenshot to prove otherwise (!!)

So I read the policy out from the website;

Reservations made on or before 14 March 2020

Reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences made on or before 14 March 2020, with a check-in date between 14 March 2020 and 31 May 2020, may be cancelled before check-in. This means that guests who cancel will receive, at their option, travel credit or a full cash refund, "

I have taken a screenshot of the website because I expect that this will be quickly "updated" soon. I suggest everyone do the same. I have so little trust left in Airbnb. It is now all marketing and spin. I will wait and see how the CS rep responds to this....

20 Replies 20

is the travel credit going to the host?  Or will we not get anything and have to take the travel credit later?

Jo56
Level 10
Darlinghurst, Australia

Travel credit to the guest @Yiwei3 .

Issuing travel credit to the guest instead of cash isn't really fair when the amount is significant (in this case it's over $1000), and travel in the near future is unlikely for the guest due to severe financial hardship caused by COVID, including loss of jobs and income.

Sharon480
Level 5
New Jersey, United States

Exactly. I bet they wait to see how many of these vouchers end up expiring instead of used. That’s blood-sucking money Airbnb is making on the hosts. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Yiwei3 

I have been told two stories by CX.

A/......If the guest elects to take a travel credit, the host will be notified and the reservation will be shown in their Transaction history as pending for that particular host.

B/......If the guest elects to take a travel credit, as the money is held by Airbnb and not the host, the credit will  be issued by Airbnb for use at any hosts listing  within a yet to be determined time limit.

In other words Airbnb have not just arbitrarily taken a confirmed reservation away from the host, they have offered the guest the opportunity to use it any where they like.

That's like a travel agent taking a confirmed and paid flight booking away from one airline and giving it to another simply to keep the commission business.

The morality of this company is sinking to new depths. The only reason they are doing this is to hang onto as much of that $3.6b in cash that they have on hand. 

If scenario B is correct, I am starting to feel ashamed I belong to Airbnb! Ethics like this do not sit well with me!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4

For all instances that I've seen so far, the correct answer is B. Also, the credits expire on Dec 31, 2020 - considering that travel is going to be impossible for a significant part of the year, and most are going to be too broke to travel anyway, it's fair to say that a high proportion of the vouchers won't be redeemed. 

Just to update here, the tranche of December 2020 end-date vouchers were apparently issued in error, and anyone who has received them can contact CX and get theirs re-issued for the later 2021 date. 

Additionally, a number of  superhosts received their 4-time SH vouchers also with end dates in 2020. Similarly, these can also be altered to the appropriate end date by getting in touch with Customer Support 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Yiwei3  I think 100% is still taken from the host and issued as a travel credit to the guest, and then the travel credit can be used with any host, so that’s kind of a double insult.  However, if someone books with you with a travel credit, I don’t think you’ll know the difference and you will receive a full payout.  Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Sharon480
Level 5

Right. Airbnb doesn’t care if the travel voucher will be used on same or different host (better yet, not to be used at all—just like stores give store credit, there will always be portions not used no matter what). What Airbnb do care is that cash flow in their pocket doesn’t get depleted like the hosts, even in this difficult time!

Jo56
Level 10
Darlinghurst, Australia

@Pat271 A travel credit for the full amount is being given to the guest, but this is a worthless 'credit' if guests can no longer afford to travel at any time in the foreseeable future due to financial hardship caused by loss of jobs due to COVID. This is a big issue for people in Australia right now. In this case we are talking about over $1000 as well, a not insignificant amount of money that the guests could use to for basic living costs.

So hosts and guests both lose out..... and Airbnb is blaming hosts for their cancellation policy, a cancellation policy which is irrelevant as Airbnb is choosing to override it any way they choose.

Sharon480
Level 5

Right. Airbnb doesn’t care if the travel voucher will be used on same or different host (better yet, not to be used at all—just like stores give store credit, there will always be portions not used no matter what). What Airbnb do care is that cash flow in their pocket doesn’t get depleted like the hosts, even in this difficult time!

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Jo56  I was answering Yiwei3’s questions.  Personally I have been advising guests to contact Airbnb if they need a full refund instead of a credit, with my blessings.  Other guests lately have said this worked for them.

Linda324
Level 3
Altadena, CA

I have had guests cancel due to Corvid19. They were under the assumption that their very last minute cancel would still entitle me to full payment. I don’t think this is true is it???? 

Linda324
Level 3
Altadena, CA

Also the intensive covid19 cleaning required between guests is approx 2 hrs of work. Am I supposed to cover this ? It makes short rentals not worth the effort. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Linda324  "Also the intensive covid19 cleaning required between guests is approx 2 hrs of work. Am I supposed to cover this ? It makes short rentals not worth the effort."

What do you mean, are you supposed to cover this? Are you expecting Airbnb to send you extra cleaning money? 

Unless you have put your house up for rental to health and other essential workers, you really shouldn't be hosting STRs to regular guests at this time. It's a very unsafe situation.  And you shouldn't even enter to clean until at least 3 days after a guest has left.

And no, a last minute cancellation won't entitle you to full payment. Guests are under all kinds of misconceptions. Guests are getting refunded 100%.