Why is it so incredibly difficult to get help from Airbnb???

Why is it so incredibly difficult to get help from Airbnb???

The Airbnb number is nowhere on the site, it's incredibly difficult to find a way to email them, and they respond on twitter to save social media face but it seems they only do something to follow up if you really push. 

Airbnb made over $900 Million in revenue this year with a small fraction of that going to operating expenses (which is because we as the hosts carry the majority of operating costs a hotel would otherwise have to manage - we handle the linens, the furnishings, the cleanings, the property maitenance, etc). 

The least airbnb can do for the people who make them money is give them a half-way decent way to air their concerns and resolve their system issues.

I accidentally created a new listing yesterday by checking to see how much a property could earn, it took me 15 minutes before I gave up looking for a solution in their resources or a way to submit a ticket through the website (I had to go to Google to find a number to call, it's nowhere on their site!). I called, it was an easy enough solve that I can't undertand why they make hosts call in to do - if a host doesn't want a listing up, it shouldn't be darn near impossible to figure that out on their own.

26 Replies 26
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

Glad you got it resovled.

Airbnb's support and help center is useless!  We just upgraded our iphones so had to resign into our Airbnb account - now we find no way to get there, get help from Airbnb or get back to doung our host business when we have guests arriving...   This is totally unacceptable!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I have now 3 times contacted Airbnb regarding the fact that airbnb text messages alerting me to new booking requests are not being sent to me, as they used to be.  Each time the airbnb responder goes on for 2 paragraphs about how much they care and how "sure" they are that the problem is resolved, which it is not. They even have the balls to suggest that maybe my phone text Inbox is full, as if I'm stupid.

Airbnb seems to be getting way worse. Their "contact us" page is impossible- the drop down menus NEVER have my issue and there is no option for "other" (there used to be, they removed it). And is there any LOCAL phone number in US I can call? Because my Mexican cell phone provider does not support calls to the toll free numbers.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Sarah977

Welcome to the Community Center. I am sorry to hear you are having difficuties getting to the bottom of this.

Just a thought about receiving messages. If you have the Airbnb app, if you click on 'Profile' then 'Settings' then 'Notifications' in Messages do you have the Text Messages section turned on. I only ask as I have found if I update the app, I usually get a prompt asking about notifications such as this and have said no before without realising. Probably just me, but I thought I would check. 

Also, in terms of this discussion, this is quite an old topic now and since then Airbnb has been working hard to make it easier to reach support. Take a look at some recent updates in this topic here. Also, you might find this Community Guide (created by a host here in the CC) on the different ways to reach the team useful.

It would be great to hear how you get on. Fingers crossed the notifications work. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thanks for the response, but you are assuming I use a smart phone, which I don't. So no, no apps. But I was receiving text notifications just fine until a month and a half ago.

As far as reaching Airbnb- I looked through the links you posted-

#1- Having to go through all the drop-down boxes in Help/Contact Us to look for my issue, which NEVER is on the list, and suggestions that one "keeps trying different options until one gets a text box is EXACTLY what people are talking bout when they say airbnb site is a pain to navigate.

#2 - I don't do Twitter.

#3- Neither of the toll free phone numbers listed is supported by my Mexican cell phone provider.

Just give up and move to VRBO/HomeAway....

This is the worst company I have ever advertised with..

Marnie19
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

I am finding the same frustrating experience with how do we get hold of Airbnb.  I need to complain about a responder to my listing.  This is my first time listing and this was my first response.  I received a response e-mail from someone called Goli and she said her Brothers family would like to view my residence.  Could she have the address and a time to do this.  I gave them a time and address.  I know now I should not have done this but I can's find anywhere in the site outlining the proceedure.  The long and short of it a couple came by and I felt they were "casing the joint" with no intent of renting it.  I have been left feeling uneasy and now feel they know when it might be empty as it is my home.  I would like to report this responder and hopefully get her barred from responding to ad's but have no avenue to go.  Can anyone help?

@Marnie19. The help articles you are seeking are these: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/47/what-should-i-do-if-a-guest-wants-to-see-my-place-before-book...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/127/can-i-view-a-listing-before-i-book

Airbnb will arrange a viewing between host and guest, but only in rare circumstances and only after Airbnb looks at the guest's profile and determines whether they are trustworthy.  In general, allowing a guest to look at a property before booking is discouraged for the very reasons you described.  

Here's the link with information on how to block a user: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2020/how-do-i-report-a-message-or-block-someone-on-airbnb

Are you renting an Entire Home or Private Room?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Marnie19

If you received a message through the Airbnb message stream for someone to look at your listing prior to booking that is defintely not allowed Marnie and you should report this user by clicking the small flag in the users text box that accompanies their message. 

If their request came via an email but they have an Airbnb profile go to that profile and click the box under there profile name that says 'Report this User'! 

That will bring this user to the notice of the Trust and Safety team and they will ask why you have reported the user. State what you have said here and they will take the appropriate actionb to deal with this person!

Cheers....Rob

Almerie0
Level 2
Mossel Bay, South Africa

It is really very difficult to contact Airbnb if you wish to ask a question.  The help centre does not answer my question.  I have spent hours trying to solve the problem I have with the listing of my apartment.  It is the only accommodation site where I have a problem to contact the site to solve a problem.  I find it MOST FRUSTRATING and my problem cannot be solved if I cannot email Airbnb directly.  

Laura3975
Level 1
Portland, OR

I spent 30 minutes searching airbnb trying to find a contact email. I gave up and had to Google search it!! Why does airbnb NOT want to be contacted? There's something wrong with a company that doesn't allow easy contact support for paying customers....

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Laura3975 ,

For a full list of contact details and methods, please view this article in the Airbnb Help Center: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/contact-us/topic

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines