Why is this website SO SLOW?!

Answered!
Isabelle-Gerry0
Level 8
New York, NY

Why is this website SO SLOW?!

Airbnb's website/platform is one of the worst I've experienced. 

It feels like every time I click on something I have to walk away for coffee and by the time I come back, I forget what I was doing! It's SO slow. The calendar is a mess. The pricing is a mess. I have to click through a bunch of things to get to something so basic. And sometimes... I'll update prices and availability... and hit save and..... IT WON'T SAVE.

😐 You'd think a billion (??) dollar business would be able to have a website that works. And the burden of the torture is on the hosts which is probably why they don't care to fix it all these years.

1 Best Answer
David2129
Level 5
San Diego, CA

I also experience very slow responses to any actions I take on the site. I've never seen a modern website with such a sluggish response. It feels like dial-up days.

View Best Answer in original post

146 Replies 146

This is not how websites work.

What makes you think it's the users Isabelle.  The website is really slow - if you aren't seeing that maybe your own hardware is making all websites seem slow ?

This is not a helpful response, and also rather inaccurate. The website is terribly slow on even on the most modern hardware with the fastest internet connection. As a web developer myself I have some theories, but this a case for AirBnb's technical team to investigate / improve. 

No, the website sucks. I used it with gigabit internet and a brand new iMac and it's the slowest website I've ever used in the modern age. Airbnb is a mess. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@J-Renato0  Every other site I frequent is nowhere slow like airbnb, so in my case, I know it is not my hardware. And many of the other sites also have lots of images and videos playing. 

Sandy116
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I agree, it is awful. You update the calendar, save it, and the next thing you know someone has booked when you aren't available. Awful site. 

So true!  I'm two weeks old and they just double booked me.  Not sure how to get their attention. Have notified 2nd bookers that they are not able to stay but have no phone number and they have not responded. And it's next week.  I also find I cannot update my pricing or get off their special pricing. 

Serge115
Level 3
Ségny, France

I agree too, it's so slow! Especially the "hosting" side. And both my PC and Internet connection are very fast, so it's definitely an issue on Airbnb's side. Besides, all other websites are very fast on my PC. 

Chris1104
Level 3
Cheadle Hulme, United Kingdom

I just wanted to say that I've also found this site especially slow - so much so that I felt the need Google it and found myself here. 

I'm also running on a decent hardware - Macbook Pro. 

Given that AirBnb developed their own testing technology (which is now widely used - https://github.com/airbnb/enzyme), this really does surprise me. 

Andrew774
Level 1
United Kingdom

It's also horrendously slow for me, I'm surprised - and I only book Airbnbs. What's more, it seems to have the ability to completely stop my web browser from loading other pages whether they're new tabs, actions or refreshed. Only closing the entire browser seems to let me use it again.

Daniel1559
Level 2
Deakin, Australia

Does anyone from airBNB every reply to any of these messages? Is anyone doing anything about it? I also find their hosting side to be very slow and its not my hardware or internet connection. 

Very slow and if you open more than 3-4 tabs (on a decent laptop) it freezes all the time. Never seen that with any other site. They charge you crazy amounts for their "service" which is what everyone else can do and in a more efficient way. But there is barelly any competition.

They only have the network effect working because of all that funding they got.

They must had crazy good connections to get all those billions in funding. 

D36
Level 1
Stratton Audley, United Kingdom

I'm on a new MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.4 - my Retina 5K iMac processor is 3.5 GHz Intel COre i5.  It's FAST.   All other websites respond immediately.  I'm still waiting 5 minutes later to send respond to someone's message.  The page loaded immediately, but I had to wait 3 minutes to be able to actually type the reply because no matter how many times you click with the cursor on the reply box, there is no response.  I have now written the response - but can't send. 

And I've taken a couple of minutes to write this - and I still can't send my message.  This is painful.    

Rupert15
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

It's crazy - most things seem to work well for me (running up to date hardware and Windows 10 which is fast with everything else I do) but the calendar takes forever to load, navigate around and change anything.  Does no-one at Airbnb care?  Perhaps someone from the organisation might like to respond - I notice there has not been a single official response on here in almost three months that this discussion has been running,