Why is this website SO SLOW?!

Answered!
Isabelle-Gerry0
Level 8
New York, NY

Why is this website SO SLOW?!

Airbnb's website/platform is one of the worst I've experienced. 

It feels like every time I click on something I have to walk away for coffee and by the time I come back, I forget what I was doing! It's SO slow. The calendar is a mess. The pricing is a mess. I have to click through a bunch of things to get to something so basic. And sometimes... I'll update prices and availability... and hit save and..... IT WON'T SAVE.

😐 You'd think a billion (??) dollar business would be able to have a website that works. And the burden of the torture is on the hosts which is probably why they don't care to fix it all these years.

1 Best Answer
David2129
Level 5
San Diego, CA

I also experience very slow responses to any actions I take on the site. I've never seen a modern website with such a sluggish response. It feels like dial-up days.

View Best Answer in original post

146 Replies 146

I almost feel like slamming my MacBook against the wall. Luckily I’m not that stupid. It is crazy. I’m trying to look at fotos of places to rent and almost always the extra fotos take forever to load. I have just back out of a few or closed the computer. Luckily for them I’m planning 3 month outs or potential renters  would lose money. They need to do a better job

Alexey57
Level 2
Singapore

How on earth do you manage to load a jpeg consistently in 4 seconds? I have fiber, everything else is lightning fast. Is this diversity in action?

Darian6
Level 2
Altadena, CA

Agreed.  Here's page load performance for Airbnb, Amazon and my favorite modern but still app Asana.  Airbnb needs to upgrade to golang, or google cloud or similar. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UgqbQXZxKGDu1i6cxtXoaTJKN4QT-CYr?usp=sharing

takes too long to verify my information

Sako42
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

The website loads incredibly slow. Serious investigation and fix needed!!!! 

Dmitriy43
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

mid 2022 and still relevant, 

David2129
Level 5
San Diego, CA

I also experience very slow responses to any actions I take on the site. I've never seen a modern website with such a sluggish response. It feels like dial-up days.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Isabelle

Maybe the main problem is also with your hardware. Maybe your computer (desktop or notebook) is somewhat old, does not have a faster processor and enough memory to run a heavy website like Airbnb.

Anyway, even having a fast hardware, Airbnb can be consider a heavy website. They use lots of images and recently there was videos runing in the background again. ABB does many things that it is not recommended to make a fast website.

lt's slow on my brand new 2018 fully maxed out macbook pro with 32gb of RAM. I don't know what happened to them. Used to have one of the best JS teams in the biz - Spike Brehm was doing SSR before it was a thing. Half of the JS teams I know still use their js style guide. 😞

What?

Cara, retira esse comentario, por favor!!!

No, it is definitely not the hardware. As far as it being a "heavy website," do you really think that's an excuse? I'm sure you know there are a whole lot of much, much "heavier" websites than Airbnb's that are virtually seamless, instantaneous.

Take Amazon for example. It loads tons of stuff and analyzes you to load what it thinks you might buy. All in a virtual instant compared to AirBnB.

I have a late 2016 Macbook Pro,  2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB 2133 MHz DDR3 monster rams with Mojave version 10.14 downloaded. It's not about the hardware. The website is **bleep**....