Why isn't there a place for guests to book pets along with Adults, Children, Infants?

Christie29
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Why isn't there a place for guests to book pets along with Adults, Children, Infants?

I allow pets for $10/per night/per pet but I always have to send a request for money for this charge after the booking. Why can't there be a place for pets in booking as there is for Adults, Children, and Infants?? There is an additional fee per night for extra guests. If there was a place for pets when booking it could calculate the fee the host charges per night as it does for extra guests. Does anyone else agree and is there a place we can make suggestions?

7 Replies 7
Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

I totally agree with you, I have a lady that stays on a regular basis with  dogs, At first she followed all house rules but now she is comfortable with our property and no longer follows rules regarding pets .

I would love to be able to charge per pet as now she allows her dogs to sleep on lounge and spare beds

and when i have spoken to her about it, She state, " oh sorry but they think it is home now"

like who is the pet owner here ??? I have told her she will have to pay a fee if she continues to break the rules , so she has threatened to find some where else to stay, I have told her to GO AHEAD. it will save me a lot of deep cleaning time and no more fumigation between  her trips.

I would adjust cleaning fee for people with pets prior to actually accepting the booking.

Casita-By-The-Texas-Bay0
Level 10
Texas, United States

Yes @Christie29 that would be a great addition! 

I sometimes travel with my dogs, and would like to know up-front how much the charge will be and pay for everything together.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

There is a very, very great question, @Christie29. One that has been asked hundreds of times but I guess Airbnb just still doesn't see the logic behind it.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Yes, Airbnb WHY we still don't have a pet fee?

Hotels also need it and want it , so act finally!

Angela66
Level 2
Voluntown, CT

Yes! AirBnB PLEASE add this feature! I host hundreds of pets a year and it really adds a hefty amount of cleaning to my already full schedule. Being able to easily add a fee would be a great addition.

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Christie29 

I don't agree with this request of AirBnB.

I allow pets with no extra fee, and I use it as a marketing tool.

When researching my local AirBnB market I found that most places don't allow pets at all. Now, when potential guest search for a place that allows pets, mine pops up first on top of a few listings.

I set my price high enough that I feel well compensated for the money charged for guests. I love animals myself, and I hold other animal lovers in high esteem and consider many of them higher caliber people.

Of course I set my price higher to get higher caliber guests.

Of course there is a difference between my stand alone two-bed apartment and a shared space. I would never run a shared space allowing strangers into my home. And If I ever did I don't think I'd allow pets.

I often wish that there were seperate forums for "Shared Spaces" and "Stand Alone Spaces" for there appears to be little in common between the two business approaches. The complaints on this fourm seem to be dominated by people renting out spaces in their home. I think they deserve their own forum. That I would ask of AirBnB.

Allowing pets or not allowing pets is a choice all hosts have when setting up their listing. You can set your price high enough that you feel adequately compensated no matter who stays -- as long as you set the parameters that are available to you -- allowing pets actually rockets you up the listing order.

I like to set my parameters so that no one feels an impediment to book. Then it is up to me to manage the bookings and accept the ones I trust.

There are many ways to look at issues such as this, but really, asking AirBnB to improve on a minor issue like this seems like a futile gesture.  Especially since you don't have to allow pets at all.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Christie29  Hosts have been asking this question for years. 🙂

I recently agreed to answer some questions via phone about my experience with pets and the pet fee at ABB's from someone who messaged me via this forum. She did not identify herself as being with Airbnb, but...her phone number was from San Francisco, so maybe they are considering making some sort of change? Who knows!