Why negative and dishonest reviews will never be removed.

Chris1537
Level 6
Nedlands, Australia

Why negative and dishonest reviews will never be removed.

After hosting over 170 guests with not a single poor review, I got my first negative review last week. Unfortunately the guest was not happy with the cleaning fee and claimed that it would have taken 15 minutes at most to get my apartment ready for the next guest. I don't need to tell you all how ridiculous this is.

The guest questioned the fee before securing the booking where I explained the service it covered and he still chose to book my apartment.

He was clearly upset about having to pay for cleaning enough so that he chose to do his best to discredit me where ever he could claiming :

- "The apartment is an accident waiting to happen" Because it has two steps in it.

- "The phone number provided was wrong" It wasn't and this was confirmed by Airbnb.

- "There was only one teaspoon for two people" There was 4, if he had of looked in the other drawers

He then took to having a go at my cleaner and how she clearly lacked thoroughness and attention to detail because she did not notice there was only one spoon.

I spoke to Airbnb's customer service and outlined the comments in the review that were untrue and therefore in violation of the content policy, one line in the policy in particular outlining a violation that reads,

"Reviews that do not represent the author’s personal experience or that of their travel companions"

My logic was that anything that is untruthful does not "represent the author's personal experience" but I was soon very surprised and disappointed by the lengths that Airbnb customer support will go to twist the fact and make excuses for the guest in order to ensure their reviews are not removed.

The first support member I spoke to was fairly reasonable but I was shocked when she said:

"As much as I want to, if only I have the capability to do this for you without risking my job, I have already removed this by all means"

This support member was soon replaced with one that was perhaps better at making excuses not to remove the review. Although she admitted that one of the comments was incorrect, she claimed that because it wasn't obvious to other readers that it was false, it was ok. These are her words:

"Their review mentioned "phone number provided was not correct". Both of us is aware there is only one number listed. The review did not mentioned the "listed" number on the listing was incorrect. If the guests has mentioned the listed number was incorrect, then it can be a violation."

It is very concerning that the support staff go to such lengths to prevent reviews being removed, even when by their own admission the statements are incorrect. Even more concerning is that at least one of them fear the will lose their jobs if they remove reviews.

This started me thinking as to why they would do this. Surely they want to support their hosts and ensure that all reviews were honest and fair. They have policies in place to ensure it after all.

It dawned on me that Airbnb have a lot more guests than they do hosts, and they make a lot more money from guests than they do from hosts as they charge them a larger percentage of the booking fee. If you look at it like a business,  the guests are the customers and we are simply the suppliers. It is in their best interest to protect their customers over their suppliers.

It appears that we are likely to be stuck with any negative reviews unless they are so clearly over the top wrong which is disappointing.

As hosts we expect that if we do a good job, our guests will write honest reviews. Sometimes this just doesn't happen and our guests let us down and fail to meet this expectation.

I understand why we can't see reviews until after both parties have written them but it is not unusual for a host to have a different view once the review has been left. When this happens we can say our review is in violation of the content policy as it doesn't represent our experience of that guest and we can have it removed.
Unfortunately you can't go back and write an honest review of that guest, but you can make sure those undeserved 5 star reviews are removed.

42 Replies 42
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Chris1537

few weeks ago I've seen a post from Airbnb where they said they are thinking about the posibility to allow hosts to remove 1 bad review per year or so.... it seems they are still thinking... or they forgot.... it's hard to tell...

Or perhaps return the 80% 5* so we can just ignore the occasional bad reviews...

That would be a good idea, because let's face it, although the majority of guests are terrific, there are some that are far from it.

Claire475
Level 9
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

I am sorry to hear your story Chris. For hosts that put so much time and effort into making our guests feel comfortable it is indeed stressful when one receives negative reviews. Just the other day I had a guest who gave me 5* but noted that I had given the wrong address, how is that possible!  Had he marked me down because of his incorrect statement, I would now be in a similar position as you fighting for the truth to stand and reviews to changed. Perhaps ABB can look at something special along these lines for Superhost. 

Thanks Claire. I feel I was never going to win with this guy. His main gripe was the cost of cleaning but he would be the first to complain if the cleaning wasn't up to scratch.

Ayou want the option to remove one good guest review a year. I have a guest the benefit of the doubt and she slammed me to Airbnb. Her public review was fine but I would not want another host dealing with her OCD whining. I blocked her but future hosts will think she’s wonderful because I was trying not to be “that kind” of host. I have a backbone now.

So that’s my wishlist. Remove one review of a guest we regret.

In what way did you block the guest?

I want to ensure this guest doesn't return but as I have instant book turned on, I can't screen him.
My apartment is walking distance to the local hospials so I have quite a few guests return for this convienience. This guest infact was visiting the hospital himself.

He may complain about my cleaning fees, but when he realises what he will pay for parking at the hospital on his next visit, he will realise exactly how convienient my apartment is.

Hello @Chris1537 

To report a message from someone or block any future communication from them:

1. Go to Messages on airbnb.com and click the conversation with the person you want to block
  2. Click Report under their profile photo
  3. Select the reason you’re reporting this person, then if you also want to block future messages from them, click Next > Yes, block now

If you block someone, they won’t be able to send you messages, send you a reservation request, or accept a reservation request from you.

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/2020/how-do-i-report-a-message-or-block-someone-on-airbnb

Even if you have an Instant Book, before paying guests are required to write a message, which they cannot do if you have blocked them.

I wish you all 5 stars reservations!

Ramona

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Sorry this happened to you. Some negative, dishonest reviews DO get removed, however. I have had such a review removed, as have several other hosts here. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Some of us have had success calling support in the middle of the night. Maybe Customer Support is more empowered during 'off hours'  - perhaps managers are not on shift and so they are more empowered to make these 'bold and controversial' decisions that favor the host. All I know is I would not stop trying to have it removed if it was not factual. I'd call until I got someone to remove it.

Thanks Rebecca. I've done all in my power to have this removed, with one staff member wanting to but fearing for her job if she did, then another admitting his statements were wrong but still not removing it.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Chris1537 - I notice you didn't review the guest. Why?

@Gordon0 wrote:

@Chris1537 - I notice you didn't review the guest. Why?

Initially I had left a 5 star review for the guest as, apart from him complaining about the cleaning fee, I had little issue with him.

I do however expect that guests will give honest and acurate reviews. Because the guest failed to do this, my inital review of him was far from accurate so I had it removed.

@Chris1537, how did you get your review of the guest removed?

I simply phoned Airbnb and told them to remove it.

If they ask why, just tell them that the review doesn’t accurately reflect my experience of the guest.