Will we get to keep our future reservations?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Will we get to keep our future reservations?

In light of @Lizzie  and crew keeping track of our comments, I would like to start a new thread on this particular subject. We were all robbed blind by Airbnb. That is old news now. What I would really really like to know, NEED to know if they are going to continue refunding beyond April 14. Then I can plan. Nothing all of us say here can change what they decide, I get that. But at least if I know what Airbnb is planning, I can plan. 

I will explain why this is so important to me. I already have my summer calendar half full. I have strict policy. If no more money is taken away, even if I do not get a single new reservation, I can survive.

If they will continue with refunds and I know it now, I can regroup now- rent long term, get out of leases, etc. I will be more likely to come back as a host when this is over vs defaulting on properties and being evicted out of rentals. Allowing me to plan is in Airbnb's own interest. 
I understand that I’m not the most favorite or common type of host on this community board – meaning I have multiple properties. But I hope you all agree that we need to have this information in order how to plan for the future.

74 Replies 74

@Inna22   Under the current policy conditions, it might not be an option for a host to cancel bookings that far ahead without penalties. So as with many other things, I would wait a couple of weeks before taking a decisive action on them. In that interim, there are some key events to look out for. The obvious one is going to be the next policy announcement or clarification from Airbnb.

But beyond that, your long-range plans are going to be at the mercy of having some sense of an arc, when you're still on the upward slope with no foreknowledge of how high the peak is. As far as I know, no locality in the US has begun scaling back any of the restrictions it's introduced yet. Until that happens, we won't know whether this will result in a second wave of exponential infection spread or a sustainable plateau. Right now that is the key question looking into the future, though at any moment a new variable could upend the existing models.

Adriano78
Level 10
Seville, Spain

Your PAST Airbnb Bookings Are NOT Safe from a 100% Refund

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj6mtgjvPrM&feature=youtu.be&

Airbnb is now refunding your past guests. Taking old bookings that have canceled weeks ago and giving them the extenuating circumstances loophole even though they canceled prior to Airbnb modifying the policy to include the USA. Strike Three Airbnb

You are going to get screwed for the foreseeable future, the goalposts will move I promise you. I'm expecting to eat the $6k a month we have booked going forward for sure. It's easy for them to tell us to go talk a long walk off a short pier.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Inna22 , agree. It's going to take longer than a month, so it would be good if we can cancel penalty free beyond April and plan. If anyone is in position to get a tenant in, then at least ruin isn't imminent.

Sheila22
Level 10
New York, NY

So you are staying with Airbnb after all this?

@Sheila22 that's a great question and I do not know the answer. Lot's to consider. Are you?

Rita1871
Level 3
Paso Robles, CA

One thing we know for sure is that AirBnB will do what is best for AirBnB. Hosts are simply a tool to be managed. Our contractural agreements have been broken without notification and you can not trust that they will inform us regarding further changes. To protect ourselves we can only turn off Instant Book to ensure that we have one last hope of decision making over our rentals. Whether it is to protect yourself, your family, your property, or your income at least you can still decide whether to take bookings that you may not get paid for or that Hosts have no authority to evict. 

Ralph200
Level 2
Córdoba, Spain

Hey Inna,

It took China 2 and half month to get out of a total close down, so I guess that is the minimum time range you may expect to lose. Probably more, because the chinese have shown a very disciplined behaviour so results in other parts of the world may take longer. 

Cheers and keep safe!

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

If I were you I wouldn't count on Airbnb changing their policy. Protect yourself.

The issue isn't that Airbnb or anyone needs to be able to predict anything related to COVID-19.  The issue is that Airbnb needs to make 100% clear and WITHOUT any chance of alteration, who will bear the risks going forward.  

I think Airbnb should make a big giant obvious declaration that, from now on, no more changes to the cancellation policy will be made in regards to COVID-19.  The entire world is aware of the situation.  If someone wants to make a booking now, they take on the risk as they see it.

If Airbnb wants to make the opposite declaration and tell everyone that cancellation policies will continue to mean nothing going forward, then we all know what we need to do (stop using the Airbnb platform as hosts).

@Christopher187and if they say they won't alter with your policy again, will you believe them?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Inna22 , though I hope for it to be over soon I can't see it. So I have cancelled all, had reservations until Oct. Meanwhile, I'm having a friend move in who will at least keep expenses going. Don't know how long for as he's looking for a place to buy, but I have promised not to eject him for 6 months if need be. So I'm not hosting. If there's a possibility for you to put trustworthty tenants in, I recommend that yiu try as this will take longer the more people move about. I have laughed and cried about it. Disbelief, despair, and then the realisation that so far, I'm well, my family is well and that is all i ask. I know this might change as it has for many. But if there's a way to cover the basics, try. That is my advice. Stay safe.

If you had strict cancellation policy then you should have waited. A good portion of these guests may have cancelled themselves and thus leaving you with 50%.  It seems this is like a game of chicken. A massive percentage of these guests are not going to travel. They’re just waiting for Airbnb (back stabbers) to extend the free cancelation period.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Inna22 

I had exactly the same dilemma - to keep all of my 13 bookings all the way to August and risk all of them to be canceled last minute or to cancel all bookings now and rent my units long-term to tenants until this pandemic is over.

I decided to close all my calendars, wrote to my guests and proposed mutual cancelations. All of them were happy to cancel and I have no more bookings so I can rent long term from now on if I want to.

I am sure Airbnb will extend this policy and it's a pity they didn't immediately allow cancelations from March 14 to the end of the year for those who booked before March 14th and for their hosts.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 If you are closing shop, there is nothing for me to stick around for