Will we get to keep our future reservations?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Will we get to keep our future reservations?

In light of @Lizzie  and crew keeping track of our comments, I would like to start a new thread on this particular subject. We were all robbed blind by Airbnb. That is old news now. What I would really really like to know, NEED to know if they are going to continue refunding beyond April 14. Then I can plan. Nothing all of us say here can change what they decide, I get that. But at least if I know what Airbnb is planning, I can plan. 

I will explain why this is so important to me. I already have my summer calendar half full. I have strict policy. If no more money is taken away, even if I do not get a single new reservation, I can survive.

If they will continue with refunds and I know it now, I can regroup now- rent long term, get out of leases, etc. I will be more likely to come back as a host when this is over vs defaulting on properties and being evicted out of rentals. Allowing me to plan is in Airbnb's own interest. 
I understand that I’m not the most favorite or common type of host on this community board – meaning I have multiple properties. But I hope you all agree that we need to have this information in order how to plan for the future.

74 Replies 74
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 with all things ABB I'd Hope for the Best, but Plan for the Worst.... EC policy has always meant that any reservation has the potential to be cancelled at any time. If it were me, I'd be just as cutthroat as ABB has been, do whatever you need to know to be sure that you'll be solvent when this is over.

Joe591
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

We got screwed by Airbnb. That simple.

Kemi6
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

@Inna22

Would you consider renting out one or 2 of your listings long-term if  you can, to at least cover up in case this goes in an unexpected direction? 

@Kemi6 @As I am booked most weekends in the summer, this would mean cancelling all those people

Kemi6
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

@Inna22

And would you not want to ask if they would want to cancel? 

I am not asking that you put yourself in a precarious position, but rather give yourself the opportunity for a soft landing, should the need arise.

Just a suggestion though. 

Wishing you all the best. 

@Kemi6 guest get penalties for canceling also. I don’t think they’re ready to do it that far out. I think if I make a firm decision to switch to long-term, I just won’t worry about it and cancel everybody. I am not ready for such drastic move. 

Thomas977
Level 10
Tønsberg, Norway

Message to Airbnb management: I expect, demand and plan on the basis that Airbnb will honor the current Covid-19 policy !!! :

«The host’s cancellation policy will apply as usual to reservations made after March 14, 2020, and to reservations made on or before March 14, 2020 with check-in dates after April 14, 2020.»

@Thomas977    The way this is done is we don't need to sign a document or even check an box (electronic signing) to agree to any of their terms.  Based upon the wording of Airbnb's terms we are agreeing to their policies just by utilizing their application.  So, they can change their policies daily, hourly or by the minute, yet as a default we are all agreeing to whatever they say just by remaining on their platform.   It seems legally crazy, and perhaps can be fought because there are literally no limits to what they can make us agree to by this default default method of agreement (as we have been seeing) and it could keep getting worse.   It  sets up a terrible precedent for doing business electronically, which is how much business is being done these days and moving forward, so I can see why it is a legal case worth fighting.

Thomas977
Level 10
Tønsberg, Norway
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Thomas977 

Interesting article. Clearly puts across the perspective of hosts for a change, rather than believing the Airbnb PR spin. However, it's a shame that it focuses solely on multi-property hosts and forgets about the live in, homestay hosts that Airbnb was originally supposed to be about, who were never making big bucks out of this, just trying to eek out an independent income and pay the mortgage and bills on their home.

@Huma0 I totally agree with you. While I am one of those multi property hosts, it would be in my interest for the article to show all perspectives. Homestay hosts are what give airbnb good name and general public is more likely to support those. It seems public opinion is the only thing that drive Airbnb to do anything. Although I am glad at least something was published!

@Huma0  My sense, reading all the COVID posts over the past couple of weeks, is that the vast majority of multi-property hosts (with the exception of hosts like Inna, who is just an individual, trying to make a living and feed her family, not a huge property manager) don't relate at all to home-share hosts and care about as much about us as Airbnb does. Many don't even seem to realize that there are home-share hosts on the platform, as evidenced by them saying things like "All hosts should move their listings to VRBO", which only lists entire places.

Hilee0
Level 2
State College, PA

We live in a college town, and since events are cancelled, all my bookings have been too. I have a strict cancel policy, but have offered guests a credit towards a future stay. Most of the reservations fall outside the covid-19 policy and the guests still seem angry and want a full refund from me. Should I cave and give full refund?...I'm trying to be fair and offer a solution, but the guests only see their side of the situation. Any ideas please?

@Hilee0 your guests had a choice. They could book with someone with more flexible policy, get insurance, etc.Do not forget that Airbnb might change their policy yet again and give all those people refunds. I also had tickets for my daughter's graduation that has been cancelled. I paid for an airfare for a bunch of family memebers and have useless airline credits in their names. This sucks for everyone. If this money is casual extra for you and you think those people need it more than you do- just give refunds. If this will put you in a financial hole, you need to worry about yourself just like those guests are only thinking about themselves. They are not actually losing anything, just don't get an experience. They have already spent this money. I think a credit to those who are being nice and nothing to those who are not. 

@Inna22 @Hilee0 I simply say I'm following the motherships policy. At least in my case, guests come as tourists and most likely won't return again. If they get upset, I will take my chances, they most likely won't come back anyways. I have fought for Airbnb in city meetings and have praised them, used them as a guest and stood up for them. At this point, no longer. They have a long road if they want to win my trust again.