Wording for a review re a guest who doesn't turn off lights and doesn't lock the door.

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

Wording for a review re a guest who doesn't turn off lights and doesn't lock the door.

One of the guests I'm hosting sounds friendly but has been concerning to me--

1) He always leaves lights on at nights after he goes to sleep and during the day after he leaves the house;

2) He took a shower without turning on the ventilation but only once and I reminded him when I found the bathroom was enveloped in a cloud of vapour;

3) Today I found out that he left the house without locking the house door!

Just too many small issues and I'm thinking, well, no Airbnb hosts would die to host a guest who forgets to the lock the house door!

I think I should relfect these things in the review, but am not sure what others would do if you were in my shoes?

8 Replies 8
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Huaai0 Sounds like you need to have another conversation with your guest where you stress the importance of turning off the lights and locking the door. Sounds like they’re used to hotels where it doesn’t matter if the lights are left on and the door automatically locks behind them. 

Thanks. I sent him a message on Airbnb, and, tomorrow morning he will be checking out. His other reviews show that he is quiet and respectful. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Huaai0 

just put LED bulbs everywhere and connect your ventilation with light switch so it turnes on and off together with lights.

Leaving entrance door unlocked is a serious problem so you have to talk with him but also think about replacing your lock or just door handle with another type which locks automaticly. We also have a note on the entrance door  "Always lock this door !" to remind our guests to do it

@Branka-and-Silvia0

Thanks so much.

Yes, I do have LED night lights almost everywhere in my three-storeyed house. And I do have a "lock the door and test it to make sure it's locked" sign right above the lock. 

The bathroom lights and ventilation are not connected. But I will ask a electrician later.

As for the lock, just now I called a locksmith whom I hired last year. He said to find a lock that locks automatically is kinda tricky. He did look around for me, and told me about a smart lock called August. It can be locked and unlocked on a smartphone, but it is a little pricey. 

I find that for some guests, all these instructions, signs, conversations simply do NOT go into their minds. 

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

By the way, I will be installing August smart lock. It has happened 5 times now that guests forget to lock the house door (one from Switzerland, one from Germany, two Chinese and this one Indian), and it has nothing to do with race, culture, or place of origin--I see some fellow hosts like to link certain issues to these identities. Some issues are cultural things, most are not. 

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

I have a schlage digital lick thst I cans change codes on. You can have multiple codes and can delete at check out time. They are around $120. They have one that is double the price that you can control with your smart phone for a nominal monthly fee. Door opens from inside and auto licks after entering. 

I love it. No lock out or list keys. 

@Regina38

and what model you have? Could you please send a link on it?

We also have a Schlage lock simular to this one - Schlage BE469NXCAM619RF.   It is the best.  You can program it to lock automatically after 2 minutes.  I have had a few guests forget to do it.  I don't always have it programed for auto lock but will do it if I find the door unlocked one time.  Having a keyless entrance has been the best decision.  WELL worth the $$.  We finally did it after the 3rd guest took the key with them.   Our last guests loved it as they were off it 2 different directions during the day and did not need to worry about a key.