Work Collection and self check-in

Work Collection and self check-in

Why does Airbnb require self check-in in order to have "Work Collection" status? I have traveled to over 45 different countries around the world and stayed at 100's of hotels and I have not seen or heard of any hotel that allows self check-in. Even when I pay for my hotels in advance I still need to check in at the front desk. If billion dollar hotel industries won't allow self check-in then why should I ? This is a huge safety issue for me. I want to see who is arriving at my place and meet them (just like hotels do). I want to make sure the people arriving are the same people who booked (just like hotels). I want to make sure 10 people don't show up at my place when they booked for 2 people. Please get rid of self check-in in order to have "Work Collection" status. It's not necessary, hotel chains don't do it, and there is safety concerns when allowing self check-in.

45 Replies 45
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I agree. We hosted many business travelers without a problem but we can't be in business category because of self check in requirement which is unpossible to meet due to 2 locked building entrance doors and remote controller for the backyard parking .

btw nobody can tag you until you remove brackets from your user name

Thanks for the feedback regarding removing the brackets.  I removed them.

good @Kwixuan-And-Regina0 now we can tag you 🙂

Antonio-Luis0
Level 10
Málaga, Spain

Even in Spain, where hosts must identify hosts with their passports then they check it, Airbnb ask me for the self check in for being on the work traven listing. It makes no sense that they are asking me to do something which is ilegal.

Antonio Luis, same here. We have to register all our guests.

@Kwixuan-And-Regina0

Agree! I have been writing on that issue several times. It is nonsense - as exactly business travellers do not want this - only busy tourists which want a one day stay are wanting to have a self check-in in order not to loose time. And you are right - it is a security issue! I have put it in my house rules that there is NO self check-in and out.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Agree also. Guests are staying in my home with me and with other guests. I want to meet them if at all possible. If I can't check them in myself (rare) then I will organise for someone I trust to do it. It's a massive security issue and I would rather not be in the Work Collection than change to self check in.

I find that the vast majority of my guests, including many business travellers, really apprecite the personal welcome and tour and that is why I consistently get 5.0 across all of my listings for the Check In category. 

The only guest I remember asking about self check in was a tourist and she seemed happy enough when I told her I would be here to meet her personally.

I think the whole idea that business guests need self check in is nonsense. I think the issue is more that Airbnb are saying we should not restrict them with a check in window. Okay, so hotels sometimes have 24 hour reception, but that doesn't mean the guests can check in WHENEVER. Normally they can't check in before 3pm, except for sometimes when they pay an additional fee.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

PS, I was also told by a locksmith that by switching to a keyless entry system, I would most likely void my home insurance policy and that it was therefore a very bad idea. Likewise with a key lock box. So, it's not just hosts being 'delicate' or 'fussy' about meeting guests on arrival, it's just the logical, practical and safe thing if it's at all possible to do so.

I need to explain some things to guests when they arrive (we all know that many guests will not properly read the written info provided). One of those things is how to operate the front door lock and to not leave the front door open. Believe me, before I started mentioning it in my house tour, MANY guests left my front (and back) doors open. My insurance company would just love that, combined with the keyless entry system!

Robin468
Level 2
Gulfport, FL

I couldn’t agree more!  

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I agree @Kwixuan-And-Regina0, and also with @Robin468@Huma0@Lilly28: I’m business ready. I’ve been business ready and had business guests. None requiring self checkin. Like you, I can no longer be eligible as I refuse to allow “self check-in”.  If Airbnb want this self check in so bad, then they are breach8ng their own belief in keeping people safe. Your security and safety matters.....

if it’s so important, make it a filter ONLY, not a prerequisite.

Really, some ideas with Airbnb are completely skewiff.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Self check in with us is not happening I want to see who is entering in my property and how many and we like to run through everything so they know.

Also in Thailand bye Law we have to take passport details and submit to immigration within 24 hours.

I think meet and greet your guest is more personal from the minute the guest books we always recommend a local taxi or minivan service, they know exactly where our properties are located no getting lost as we are 47km from the airport and unknown the guest the minute the driver meets them we know how many of them we now know they are on their way many guest are impressed how organized we are.

Then they can relax.

Most of our guest are business people and they like that personal touch, as long as you have good WI-FI some cold beers in the fridge thats all they care about.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

@Kwixuan-And-Regina0@Sudsrung0@Cathie19@Robin468@Huma0@Branka-and-Silvia0@Antonio-Luis0@Lilly28

It's good to hear your thoughts on this requirement for the Work collection. 

From my view point, I imagine that some business travellers they would like the flexibility to check in at any time of the day or night, especially if they are travelling or going to work events. I can understand your points about wanting to welcome your guests and if you can't you have a back up plan for someone to come in your place. Having said this, I've also heard elsewhere in the CC that sometimes it can be time consuming to wait around for your guests to arrive if they are late or are unsure of their arrival details. 

With both these things in mind, do you think there is an alternative that helps with this, rather than having a self check-in option? 

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie

yes, the alternative is :  SELF CHECK IN IS NOT REQUIRED FOR BUSINESS COLLECTION.

Btw, neither hotels nor motels or hostels don't have self check in option, why should we??????

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Branka-and-Silvia0 for your reply.  

Just so I can learn more, to fit in with the flexbility that I mention above, do you think that most hosts would be happy to let their guests in 24/7 or an wider check-in period?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.