Work Collection and self check-in

Work Collection and self check-in

Why does Airbnb require self check-in in order to have "Work Collection" status? I have traveled to over 45 different countries around the world and stayed at 100's of hotels and I have not seen or heard of any hotel that allows self check-in. Even when I pay for my hotels in advance I still need to check in at the front desk. If billion dollar hotel industries won't allow self check-in then why should I ? This is a huge safety issue for me. I want to see who is arriving at my place and meet them (just like hotels do). I want to make sure the people arriving are the same people who booked (just like hotels). I want to make sure 10 people don't show up at my place when they booked for 2 people. Please get rid of self check-in in order to have "Work Collection" status. It's not necessary, hotel chains don't do it, and there is safety concerns when allowing self check-in.

45 Replies 45
MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

The "Self Check In" is also the only requirement I don't meet to qualify for Airbnb Work Collection. As for reasons explained here by other hosts, it seems that it unlikely I'll ever qualify 😞

Same here @MicheleandLouw0. I had it and lost it with the ridiculous self checkin prerequisite. Grrrr.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Self check is not happening with me my guest seem to like the personal touch,

One time it could have backfired on me was a booking for 4 guest and they arrived 9 I was there to check them in, self check would have dodgy,

Bye the way I only let the 4 booked guest stay, they said its ok we sleep on the floor I made the others go find a hotel.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

So, I think we all concluded that business travelers don't really need or want any special treatment . We can also conclude that we , hosts, want healthy playground (as @Cathie19 said) . Airbnb should help us run the business and not make it worse.

Self check in requrement and so called business collection is unnecessary and makes more damage than goods.

Having self check in option as a search filter is totally OK.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I do offer self-checking but have been trying to greet guests whenever possible. I found that with business travelers they often do not really know when they get here. They usually do not have much of a luggage and do not want a promise to a host to weight on them. They want to go to a meeting from the airport and not have to text me in the middle to let me know they are running late. They want to decide on the spot to go for drinks with clients and colleagues without any responsibility to me. Don’t forget that even though hotels do not offer self-check in, you do not have to make plans with a hotel and can show up any time. They will not be cooking, grilling, watching TV. They just want to sleep and leave and do not need to know how things work. Having to meet me is a bother to some.

For those of you who have to collect passports and do not have any other considerations against self-check in, can you come at a later time to do it? A guest self-checks in and you stop by at some point to collect the info?

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

The self check-in requirement to qualify your listing as "business ready", is not an oversight on Airbnb's part, but specifically designed to be an unattractive/unworkable proposition for small, traditional hosts. Airbnb would prefer - and are working towards - making the business-ready classification the exclusive domain of the professional/commercial operators with large inventories (who are much less likely to be on the phone complaining to CX when guests turn up several hours later than planned)

Over the past number of months, the company has been systematically removing a number of options and facilities that were previously available to all hosts - such as the multi-calendar, the co-hosting marketplace etc - whilst simultaneously sweetening the deal with lots of lovely little perks for the Pro's. The writing's on the wall. 

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I'll never qualify for the "Work" collection because I want to keep my "Strict" cancellation policy.

Airbnb says "Work plans can change, so travelers need more flexible options!"

To that I say "Mortgage payments stay the same, so hosts need less flexible cancellation options!"

I've worked in business for 20 years. The amount of money passed between hands in any given contract dwarfs my annual income. The couple hundred they need to pay to cancel my place is petty cash. If they're cancelling a meeting they're also forfeiting the cost of airfare, conference fees, etc. It's a cost of doing business that's both expected and not going to break the bank. The amount they lose is a rounding error for most companies.

They're FAR more able to absorb that cost than the host left with an unbooked space at the last minute. Why doesn't Airbnb advocate for hosts like they do for guests?

The idea that business travelers don't know what their plans are so they need flexibility and 24/7 check in is ridiculous.  People who travel on business need to justify every minute of their travel time to their corporations and have meetings, dinners, and such lined up with clients and customers before they get on their flight or on the road to their destination.  The business class can afford and plan their travel for normal work hours whenever possible.  BTW, of business travelers that have stayed with us and use Airbnb frequently - they are typically the most complimentary of the space we provide for work and the en suite bathroom. 

The question remains, what exactly is being accomplished differently or specifically for business travelers with self-service check in?  Why is that important when, as many have already said, there is no self-service check in at hotels? 

@Huma

@Kwixuan-And-Regina0

I agree with every single point Huma has written.

I also want to add that there are first-class business-travellers who are using business-residences from a broker - they DO NOT have self check-in, but they are having other things offered to the business guests - i.e. - cleaning the flat every other day, better design, the best elecrical appliances, changing the linen at least every 3 to 5 days, a parking lot. And Huma is right - no need for scaner, printer or copy machine for them, even the TV is not a must. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Self check-in for business travelers as a requirement is as ill-conceived as TV for the family collection. If a business or family traveler needs those amenities and options, all they have to do is read through the listing description to see if it's offered or contact the host.

Katica0
Level 2
Zagreb, HR

I have just sent feedback to Airbnb about self check-in and Work collection.

In order to have self check-in, I've suggested to give at leasts Superhosts opportunity to choose between having self check-in or check-on at any time after check-in hours.

So, if the problem is with business people that come late at night you commit yourself that you'll be there even at 1 AM.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this, it is good to hear your points on why you see this particular criteria as not suitable for the Work Collection. 

Based on what has been shared here I wonder as the Work Collection is open to private room hosts and whole listings, several of you mention that having self check-in for a private room, would raise concerns from a safety point of view, do you then think it would be better to have this criteria on just whole listings or do you think having multiple criterias would make this complicated?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lizzie, I think the concensus is rather than assume all work travelers need self check in, leave it to the traveler to screen for check in options.  While private rooms more than likely require the host to meet the guest, some private rooms have private entrances and can support self check in.

I have a guest house located on my premises which is gated.  This can be considered a whole listing.  I still have the safety concerns and still want to meet the guest.

I unfortunately had a number of people who bring more people than they registered for. I limit the total guest to 4 people and I have had someone register for 2 and bring 7. I often have guest register for 1 and bring up to 4. In my listing I charge $10 for extra guest.  It happens so often that I now require the guest to confirm that they have read the house rules and have registered the appropriate number of people before accepting their reservation. 

I also make it very clear in my listing that no parties or events are allowed.  Yet I have had guest show up with balloons, party favors, and trays of food. Lucky I was there to greet them and they canceled on the spot. 

One way to stop people from cheating me and the system is to not require self-check in. And I just don’t understand how self-check in is safe for me, my family, or my property. 

Of course I have used self-check in when I personally know the guest or when the guest is a repeat customer. 

It it should be up to the host and the traveler if they want self check in and not a requirement. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Linda108 and @Kwixuan-And-Regina0 for your additional replies here. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.