Working with Influencers to promote your space

Will2209
Level 2
Sanford, FL

Working with Influencers to promote your space

Hi,

I just noticed that there was an article on promoting your space and to work with influencers so you can trade the space in return for promotional social content.

How does it work so you can keep the relationship still through Airbnb as opposed to dealing with them simply on your own or personally?

For example what happens if they damage something or something happens ... you can't call on Airbnb if it wasn't booked thru them.

What's the best way to make this happen?  Thx.

23 Replies 23
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Those who see themselves as ‘social influencers’ are keen to get freebies including expensive accommodation.

In the majority of cases from a hosts point of view it’s not  worth it unless you have verified that said influencer is read/watched jn large numbers by the sort of visitors who are your target audience and they will guarantee who sort of content they will share in their channels and let you have joint copyright for. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Will2209 Can you really even call on Airbnb if it was booked through them?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Will2209  my advice is to avoid "influencers" and just collect your normal nightly fee. 

I have an online business in addition to Airbnb and am occasionally approached by someone who wants a free item or free night. I look them up, and 9 times out of 10 they are someone whose social media following will either not allow me to get the kind of customers I want or isn't big enough for me to truly call them an "influencer." If your target demographic is someone in their 20s who spends a lot of time "liking" things on social media, but not a lot of money on their "likes" then an influencer may be for you. 

I let one person stay who started the conversation as " I am an influencer" but I did not give her a discount. She smoked something that smelled a lot like skunks had taken up residence in my cottage and did not leave any sort of review or promotion on social media. Which was fine with me, as I was not trading on that. Many times people use the "I am an influencer" to salve any house rules they may break in exchange for promoting your space. 

ETA-- looked at your listing and now I totally want to take a trip to Sanford! So cute!

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Will2209   

If you are sure that the quality and price of your home is the same, refuse to give free of charge.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48873551 
Influencers pay double )

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

As far as I'm concerned, the definition of "influencer" is someone who has no intention of actually working for a living, thinks a great deal of themselves, even though they have no skills or talent, and feels entitled to get everything for free. Just the word "influencer" makes me want to barf. 

@Will2209

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Far too generous in your appraisal @Sarah977 !  

This is the most ignorant thing i have ever seen. How do you think that makes me feel as an influencer? 

Will2209
Level 2
Sanford, FL

Thx for feedback. Let’s forget the part about the value of influencers ... I’m asking if I need to give away a night or two for charity or whatever, how does that get done through Airbnb?

@Will2209  You can't give free nights through Airbnb.  They will want their service fee and 15% of 0 is zero.

If I were to give free nights to something like a charity (are you offering a stay at your place in a charitable auction?), I would ask my insurance agent how my homeowners' insurance would cover a stay like that, and then I would have a simple agreement drawn up by my real estate attorney noting liability and other issues.  

On a side note, I have had two Instagrammers stay at my places in exchange for photographs.  I had a contract with each of them laying everything out.  I got great pictures that I desperately needed, since getting interior photographs taken in Maine is so difficult even the interior designers and architects I know in the area couldn't recommend anyone who didn't charge an arm and a leg.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Ann72  This is a great deal! When you need a photo, specify how many and which, all agreed in the contract. Basically, the instagrammers  want for free to say about your product in some review, it makes no sense.😆

@Anna9170  Exactly - decide what you need, then get it in writing.  Remember the words of the great Bill Withers:  "It ain't too bad the way you're using me / 'cause I sure am using you / to do the things you do."  😉

@Will2209  It's a terrible idea that will not pay off for you in anyway. Self-proclaimed "influencers" may appropriate images of your home to enhance your personal brand, but it's virtually implausible that this exposure will convert to actual bookings.

If you want to give someone some kind of discount when they send an inquiry, there's still the "Special Offer" function you can use. But don't be shocked if they wind up demanding more and more free services and ultimately leaving you with a huge mess. That's the typical result of this arrangement.

Donations of a free stay for actual charity get routed through the Open Homes project: https://www.airbnb.com/openhomes

Read the fine print, of course. Many hosts have reported their charity being abused, and Airbnb won't be much help if the arrangement goes wrong. Whether it's for promotion or philanthropy, you've got to consider whether you'd rather stick with people you know and trust, or take a hail mary with strangers from the internet who want something for nothing.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Will2209 I think what you are trying to find out is how you can covered by airbnb host guarantee if you are not charging for the stay, is that correct?

The answer to that will be that host guarantee is largely a myth. If you choose to offer someone free stay, I suggest exploring the following:

1. charge your own refundable security deposit through venmo, paypal etc. You can sign up for Stripe and even do a hold, not the actual charge
  2. make sure that your homeowners policy covers short term rentals (this is a good idea even if you do not offer free stays)
  3. require the influence/charity take out their own event policy that has your space as additional insured

If you think you still want to make the transaction official through airbnb, you can send them a special offer for the minimal amount. On Airbnb the minimum is $10. If you are keen on not charging a penny, you can then refund them the $10. Please make sure that you have done your research about the host guarantee though so there are no illusions or unreasonable expectations. There are many threads about it on this forum.

I hope this answers your question

@William810 yes, and it does not sound like you fully understood my answer. To help you I need to know what you are trying to achieve and you are not answering me. Why do you need to offer the free stay through airbnb. To get host protection? You also mention the new blogging program below. What is your end goal?