World Tourism Day

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

World Tourism Day

Liv_0-1600961382107.png

Hey everyone,

27 of September marks the UN’s World Tourism Day. A date created with the purpose of fostering awareness towards the value of tourism and its social, cultural and economic importance. 

That being said, tourism is not only vital for the success of economies around the world, but it is also an extremely powerful tool for broadening worldviews.

Having the opportunity of travelling to a faraway continent or spending time with people from different cultures are transformative ways of seeing things from another perspective. 🗺  👀

With this in mind, I’d like to know: how has tourism and hosting changed your life? 

Thanks,

Liv

10 Replies 10
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Liv  First of all, I am very glad that tourism has survived despite the murderous measures taken by most parliaments of different countries.😫
Secondly, about me personally, tourism has changed my life completely. About 10 years ago I came from Moscow with my husband to see Spain and France, and for 7 years now our family has been living and working here. 😎Before that I just worked in the tourism industry, had my own small travel agency and sold "complete tours".

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's an amazing story, @Anna9170 💖

What was it about Spain that made you decide to live there?

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Liv  Simplicity, complete absence of snobbism and pathos. 😎
The stunning nature of the Costa Brava and a very comfortable climate. Prices, after all...😂
We originally focused on France, but completely changed our opinion.)

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Anna9170 That sounds amazing! Can't wait to get a chance to visit Costa Brava. Just looking at photos of it online made me feel warmer 😂

An15
Level 2
Sri Lanka

@Liv The very best Hosts start travelling and eventually would be hosting passionately again and again where the prestige can be found. Travelling can spice-up a Life as you travel to different places that have different culture and lifestyle to experience. A Host's curiosity about the world is essential.  Exploring weather, wildlife and culture are spotlights on Tourism, which is the true value in Travel.  

People in the Tourism Industry are great people and doing great things. It has changed people's lives and hosting has become a key choice for talented people looking for a rewarding movement.

In another perspective, hosting satisfaction develops a long term relationship that means more than just making sales. Guest's interests evolve as they age from early twenties to retirement with multigenerational families. Understanding and meeting their expectations require a lot of planning and budgeting. Guest's feedback is the motivation to improve the standards and strive further to excel in Hosting. As we celebrate World Tourism day, preserving culture and heritage has become a unique experience as we host and has changed individual's lives.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @An15, thanks for sharing! That's a beautiful sentiment 😊

It makes great sense that traveling helps hosts improve, I hadn't thought of it that way. Did travelling also have an impact on your personal experience as a host?

@Liv, yes it's add value to hosting experience and understanding different cultures. Culture awareness is important for hosting. Every host has a unique style of hosting; exceeding guest's expectations and delighting guests etc. I have travelled to Prague too, on my onward journey and have seen the beauty of the country and its culture. Every destination has its own story and bring interesting experience. Yes it is.   

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Liv @Anna9170 @An15 

Tourism has always been embraced in my life from when I was a child.

Our European born father was always picking up Hitch-hikers from various countries on his travels & offering them accommodation on the farm where we have Native Bush.

Since his death that part of the farm along with part of where the cattle grazed over the winter months has been gifted to the Queen Elizabeth 2 Trust for perpetuity.

We were lucky to have Kiwi birds at the later part of the family estate so along with a night of star gazing one could clearly see The Southern Cross.

Having grown up in a country away from one's parents birth place perhaps makes one more aware of the wider importance of connecting through travel & tourism.

Throughout life I've found those whose families have traveled to start life in a different country are more compassionate towards other nationalities and cultures, and more likely to work hard to save up one's monies to travel abroad.

Let's hope air and ocean travel returns promptly for the betterment of Society.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen427, I couldn't have said it better 💕

Your father sounds like he was an amazing man, it must've been very incredible for a child to have that kind of experience. If you have any specific stories about the hitchhikers, I'd love to hear them 😊

It made me think of one of the things I love about London. Even though it's big city, there's still a great sense of community. And I completely agree, moving to a different country has definitely changed my perspective on other cultures. I wish everyone had this opportunity.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Would love to share them @Liv alas it has been some years ago since then and he's been gone a long time and my memory of them is not so good as I was a very young child.