Worrisome enquiry

Mary450
Level 2
Summerside, Canada

Worrisome enquiry

Hi all,

I'm a new Airbnb host but I grew up working in my parents tourism rental business so I come to this with considerable experience with caring for guests and seeing that they have a good experience. My tourism rental background also means that my radar for potential trouble is pretty reliable. I've just received a request from a local person who would like to stay in our cottage duplex. (We live in one half and rent the other.) I am very uneasy about this request and strongly suspect that it is a local high school boy looking to party with his friends. Our rules state that we do not allow unsupervised minors or partying. There are too many red flags in his profile and request.

Will I be penalized by Airbnb for declining this request or for canceling instant book reservations like this in future?

Thanks so much! 🙂

9 Replies 9
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Hello @Mary450,

You will not be penalized for declining a request, unless you decline many in a row.

You will be penalized for cancelling an IB booking, unless the person states clearly that they will be breaking your rules.  In that case, call the company, and they will cancel the booking for you with no penalty.

If you have doubts, turn off IB.  I do not use it - I always want to communicate first.

Thanks. 🙂

I liked the IB, but I have now turned it off.

The teen messaged me repeatedly through the night. He was evasive in answering basic questions but finally told me it was for "about seven" people (our max capacity is four and our listing states this very clearly) and that they planned on having a big bonfire party (the listing also says "no partying") on my lawn. Nope. Nope nope nope.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Mary450

That is the advantage of not having Instant Book; that you can ask questions about your guests and their stay before confirming a booking.

What happens if someone slips under my radar and does wind up sneaking in extra guests or throwing a wild party? I have no qualms about throwing people out if I absolutely have to, but how does Airbnb handle it? Do unruly guests get their money back if I've had to evict them?

@Mary450  I can see a big problem with your listing....and that is the statement "Extra People - No Charge".

I have been asking Airbnb for at least two years to stop having this automated phrase put into every listing when it clearly states a maximum number of people.

Here is how to get around it:

Put in an amount (for example $1,500) per extra person. The statement "Extra People - No Charge" will magically disappear.

@Mary450  If you find that extra people are in your listing (after you have removed the statement that extra people are no charge) you are within your rights to call Airbnb and have those guests remove. In my case I have called the police because I was afraid that the people will leave with items out of my house. Remember that you only allow those 4 people - the rest are trespassers and are treated as such by the law.

@Mary450 , you seem very clear and firm that you would want to throw people out if they break your house rules, such as having more than 4 people or having parties. Good for you!

Even though I believe that Airbnb would definitely back you up in that kind of infraction, best is to call them up in that case (always have their phone number ready, hard to find when one is agitated and upset) and and follow their directive. 

Interestingly enough, they seem to make it sound easy for IB hosts to cancel a guest, read the second part: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser... . I have no experience with this.

I wouldn't worry about the ankward statement "extra guests no charge" that Airbnb has in place and that @Monica4 warns you about : your house rules are very specific about no more than 4 , and that option about extra charges is meant for hosts  who stagger the pricing, then it shows something like $20/night after two guests- not applicable in your case.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Mary450, welcome to hosting! Lovely place you got - and so smart of you to turn off IB ( at least at the beginning) and to trust your gut feeling about the inquiry from this boy. I bet you did the right thing declining him, local requests often bring problems, as you will find out when you dive deeper into the community here.

On an unrelated note, I would like to run this by you: I see you charge $72.00 per night for a max of 4 people - that seems very reasonable to me and definitely on the budget conscious side. AND you promise a breakfast!! O wow, what a deal! So, are you prepared for 4 people to spend 3 nights there and cook 12 breakfasts for them? I would really, really rethink that. The idea here in the forums is: underpromise, overdeliver and you'll get great reviews.

Your guests have a kitchen, right? can you perhaps highlight that with one or two pictures? And how about you put a few nice welcome treats there, have coffee grinds, tea, some fruit, some muffins, etc. That is definitely enough - and you will not get worn out! At the beginning of my hosting, I offered breakfast ( 4 choices) for a marginal fee, but to my great surprise nobody took me up on it. After a while it got old to have all ingredients ready just in case someone orders breakfast. So I scratched it, but put goodies in their refridge - and everybody is super happy! I have less work - and they have plenty of stuff to get going. That seems the optimal solution, at least in my case.

Good luck and happy hosting to you!

Less0
Level 2
Milwaukee, WI

Most new host price low until the rodeo begins then you experience things that quickly up your price 20% of guest don't fallow rules and it's hard to tell I had a 30 year old professional with 6 great reviews bring a beer pong table in my living room my beautiful carpet was destroyed I wanted his entire deposit he offered 100 he got what he wanted protect your property at all times I have had 18 year old who left my place wonderful you just don't know but your gut feeling helps I recently started when someone gives me the gut feeling I become very nosey if they planned a party they quickly cancel