Would NOT host guests again -review question

Willene1
Level 9
Kaleden, Canada

Would NOT host guests again -review question

I am wondering what action is taken when you choose No to the guest review question -

“Would you host these guests again?”

I doubt the next host sees that and I somehow doubt that they would be blocked from rebooking so I am curious as to what affect this has. 

We are hosting 5  30ish (age) guests that just ask for so many favours and ask silly questions, then 30 seconds later, they figure it out.  Keep texting me even though I say I prefer they AirBnb site. 

Hasn’t been 24 hours yet. Can only imagine what the next 2 days will bring. Yikes. 

Nothing terrible but I would not want to host them again so it got me wondering what happens when I answer NO to that. 
What purpose does it serve. Anyone know? 

30 Replies 30
Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

I'm a guest but have 25 years of professional customer service experience, as well as a good handle on managing boundaries in normal life and with customers. I'm currently in a reverse situation, btw, where the host often tries to take communications off the platform and I have to reaffirm the boundary. With high-maintenance folks like this, every time you let them cross a stated boundary, you're more likely to get a worse review from them, it's just how people are. It actually heightens their sense of entitlement and specialness, and turns you into a doormat for them to wipe their feet on as they leave the guest-host relationship.

If you're seeking such advice, I would recommend that you send them a message through the platform and say something like: "For your protection as well as my own, I require that all communications go through the Airbnb messaging platform. If I do not answer a message sent by x p.m. and after x a.m. within x amount of time, or if you have an emergency, I will welcome a text/call from you and will respond promptly. I sincerely hope you are enjoying your stay." 

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

Oh yes, and if they pushed the boundary again and it was not an emergency, I would wait the amount of time I promised for platform messages, and then respond to the text through the platform. 

I absolutely agree with this. It also reassures the guest you are not willing to budge on your commitment to the process for them. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

So what does Airbnb do with this "Would you host these guests again?” data?

My first impression is that they're doing research as to whether hosts are being honest about their reviews versus what they really think about guests. But, perhaps if you say "NO" to the question, maybe your listing will not appear in future searches (by the guest) as being available. Or, maybe Airbnb has some sort of points system whereby if a guest racks up too many NO's, then they get banned from Airbnb if there are other issues with the guest too.

Adding on in September, 2022...

Just had a run of the most neglectful people, and others who brings dogs, help themselves to my dog food and don't happen to mention they are bringing a pet.  I love hosting! but had to click NO to this question 6/10 times recently.

There is a rumor on one of the FB groups that this will get a host in trouble if clicked too often, that the property will drop in the algorithm.

Will someone please share the facts?

TIA you guys, have a prosperous season!

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

UPDATE: I think I found the answer. Too many "No. I would not host this guest again" responses and that probably gets factored into guests getting banned. There is an article that says...

"After your stay at an Airbnb rental, the hosts can review you. Several bad reviews from multiple hosts could drop your ratings on Airbnb. If your score drops significantly, Airbnb will prohibit you from using their platform."

Airbnb also does not give any explanation when they ban a guest. That's probably to protect the hosts from backlash from the banned guest.

Joanne432
Level 2
Fort William, United Kingdom

Can I jump on here quickly and ask if the guest knows if we click NO would not host again button?? 

It says that they do not know.

Simone1155
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I've just said no to hosting a guest again, I wondered what would happen?  I've never done it before 🤷 The guest was quite high maintenance and made me feel my set up was inadequate, and made me doubt whether I want to carry on with hosting. They told me things I should change, and how to run the air bnb, (they were hosts too) and I went beyond and above the room they had booked to make them happy. I felt very wary of them, and gave them 4.9 * to be fair. They didn't leave the place too bad,  but they moved furniture and didn't move it back. I just said no to hosting them again. 

@Simone1155 nothing happens immediately to the guest. They aren't notified or anything. No other hosts can see that you would not host this person. They only see your review,  and if they use Instant Book, the star ratings of the guest. 

I remember someone saying that if you do under 3 stars in all categories and "would not host again" the individual can no longer see you in their search.  But I don't know if that is true.

Thanks for that,  I've got all 5* ratings and SH, but nothing was ever good enough, for this particular guest, I gave a fair review, and polite feedback to the guest. Normally everything is great, and I've met some fantastic people through the years. It's just that one that makes you think 🤔 Anyway, got a super busy few days lined up, Air Bnb, so back into the throng. 👍

Myke11
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

I’d like to know the same.

Kristen402
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

@Willene1  I have just dealt with this this month - that 'No' button doesn't prevent them from booking with you again: I have a problematic guest who continued to be able to book instantly, I will never host him again and was initially told that same thing, but if that were the case he would, per Airbnb customer service 3 separate times, he "can't even see the listing, let alone IB it. On the 4th occasion of this "glitch," I called CS and was guided through the process of actually blocking a guest. However! I was told it requires a call to CS so there's a verbal account of why, then they make you promise a kidney, after which they open a secret function only available thru an actual voice call. 

Sorry to be the bearer of A Huge Drag, but it is possible, just not by answering that final question.

It does seem that Airbnb should be able to simply disable the guest from viewing and/or booking once you click the No to hosting again button.  It is the Host telling Airbnb that we do not want this guest to stay again, these are our homes/property and if we just didn't like the experience with a particular guest we should be able to say, I choose to not allow this person to stay with me again.   

So why can't Airbnb just modify their system/algorithm to set up the "requested" block when we say NO to hosting again?

It also makes me wonder why they ask the question if they don't take any action based off the response.  I can't imagine that they use this response to punish hosts. Losing hosts costs them money... a lot of money. 

maybe I should turn off IB just to be certain that I can decline those that I do not wish to host again... but do I get "dinged" for declining guests that request a stay?

I totally agree!  I had people illegally bring a pet to our home, and then deny it.  They left after check-out and my basket for towels along with a throw blanket were missing... which they refused to acknowledge when I asked about it.  I said I would not host again on the review, but here they are with an instant booking at my home again.  This frustrates me because if I cancel their reservation I am the one that gets dinged.  Instead I took pictures of anything that could leave the house, so if it is missing I can photo proof what/where it was prior to their check-in.