Would any of you accept $60 per night offer if your published price is $ 90 per night. for 5 people

Renee77
Level 2
Salem, OR

Would any of you accept $60 per night offer if your published price is $ 90 per night. for 5 people

My nightly price is $90 per night, I received a request asking if I would accept $60 per night. Considering the request is for two adults, three children and a dog. My first instinct is to feel insulted, am I off base here or what?

15 Replies 15
Debbie209
Level 2
Ocean Ridge, FL

I would never accept anything less than I have advertised. You will learn that this type of guest Will ALWAYS end up being a problem.

I have had guests who ask for a discount and then book after I’ve denied discount. They have been my most needy, unreasonable guests!

Do yourself a favor and refuse discount then hope they do not book!!!

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Renee77 Ditto what @Debbie209 said. My most nightmarish, demanding, never-satisfied, needy guest was a guest I gave a discount to (this was not an Airbnb guest, by the way, it was a direct booking). With that said, I did give a discount once for one night to a lovely couple and it worked out splendidly; in fact, she and I are going to co-facilitate a Women's Retreat together (we both work in the Healing Arts). But this is a rare exception and it is my general policy not to give discounts, especially when the resort next door that has beat up, hammered rooms charges two or three times more than I do, and the rooms are much smaller. 

No. No. No. Do not discount your place or allow them to bring extra people for free. 

Learned that mistake quickly. The minute someone wants to ask for price discounts and is bringing a parcel of people, it's going to end badly. 

Been there, done that, learned my lesson. I agree with Debbie - people who ask for discounts should be avoided.

I will make one note though - in your profile you only have a few reviews and none of them connect to an active listing except for the 5th wheel. And there are zero pictures of the fifth wheel, the bedrooms, etc. Just a lot of pictures of the sun, the inflatable pool and the farm land. At some point you may be getting low-ball offers because no one can see what they are actually going to get when they rent. What happened to the other listings? Is there more than one space?

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

If you don't actually feel insulted, I will feel insulted for you!

Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

This is a total insult and you will end up being worse off, Dont discount then repent, as Debbie and many others said, we have learnt the hard way and know that we will never do it again, If they want cheap and nasty let them go elsewhere.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Discounters are indeed trouble. No, they can't insult me because I don't even know them. I simply tell them: "Bummer, it is $90 for 2 people, and $X for extra people beyond that. Wish you safe travels". Meaning, I speak as it the reservation fell through.

Like @Christine615, I also had a tough time deciphering what goes with what in your listing. Could use a little work.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Renee77 

I'm afraid that guests may look at your listing and think you'll accept cheeky offers. It needs some work. I'd be removing the photo of your grandaughter immediately. 

This whole thing started for me because of the eclipse. I haven't yet revamped anything, I'm very aware that there are some issues with my listing and I do appreciate everyones suggestions/ advice. It's a miracle I'm not crazy really, I got into this in Feb or March 2017 at the request of local travel industry organizations due to a shortage of lodging for the eclipse. I hhead never done this  kind of thing before and the demand due to the eclipse was so great that I couldn't keep up. I had three types of accommodations listed on about seven different websites. Trip Adviser and Hipcamp had people writing up listings for me because I couldn't keep up. Having to individually list every space was a pain. The weekend of the eclipse I had over 100 people staying with me. What a learning experience. In a private property setting where commercial power supply and sanitation facilities didn't exist before, it was a huge undertaking providing full bathrooms withn running hot and cold water, showers and flush toilets. Making matters even more complicated was providing full hookups including power to a half dozen RVs. The power had to be supplied from my house and generators because my  plan to have my power company bring in temporary power from a pole 20 feet away was scrapped because they wanted $ 10,000 not counting  the wiring on my end and permit cost. So that's my excuse for not having refined my listing yet. That said I very much welcome critique and advice from those with more experience as well as suggestions from anyone who is positive and constructive. I was just unsure about pricing post eclipse after having more people than I could handle willing to pay as much as $ 350 per night for a minimum of three days, prior to the eclipse. Thanks for reading.

Renee

Thank you Gordon, I don't know what I was thinking when I included that photo. You are absolutely right about removing it.

Brianna38
Level 2
Portland, OR

I am super confused about your listing- I saw  zero pictures showing the 5th wheel trailer accommodations, and past reviews mentioned camping and some past communication/organization issues. Try taking some clearer pics and making the written description clear and concise, that may help detour potential bad seeds from trying to take advantage of you.

Just so I am clear, it is $90 per night for a 5th wheel trailer rental in the rural Salem area? That does seem pretty steep, $60 is a little more market based- But I understand that you charge what it is worth to you to accommodate  guests on your property.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I offer a 10% discount to Military, but NO other discounts. Pay what the rate is or go else where. People asking for discounts are trouble with a capital T.

Renee77
Level 2
Salem, OR

Thank you so much to everyone that took the time respond to my question, you've been very helpful. Ahd additional thank you's to those of you that also took the time to look at my listing andoffer your constructive feedback. I will be making  many changes soon, based on many of the suggestions you've made. When I get done I intend to post a request for opinions on it, I hope all of you have time  and would be so kind to review  it and offer additional suggestions.

Renee **

Good luck,

Some suggestions:

1. Photos of the specific trailer you will be using (inside and out). 

2. Close-ups of special things inside the trailer.

3. Look at how other hosts post photos. I found that helpful when I set up my listing. I'm always suspicious of host photos that show everything around the area, but not specific photos of the place.

4. Look at other prices in the area, but make sure whatever you charge will compensate you for wear and tear on your property (some people are neater than others) and the time it will take to clean after they are gone. I know of some in my area who charge $68 a night for a large space, then I find out it's one bed and an air mattress or two. I charge $115 and up and I'm firm about that. It takes 4 hours to clean the apartment even when people are neat.

5. Set a maximum number of guests for your space. I have a huge space but I set the max at 4 because I have a tenant in another unit. Still people will ask if they can do more people (I say no) or if they can host a party (No) or if they can have a discount (no).  I can't imagine 6 people in a fifth wheel comfortably without being messy but that's something you can determine.

You are providing linens and electricity and beds, etc. That has value. 

But since the other listings make things confusing (and are now off line) I would put a quick note on the listing saying you were thrilled to be a host to many visitors for the Eclipse.

Good luck!